The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Brave guy; I wonder if he works for a Danish newspaper...?  (Read 17642 times)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Brave guy; I wonder if he works for a Danish newspaper...?
« Reply #50 on: 30/07/2010 11:00:19 »
What I said was Islam is anti-American.

If it's a religion of great compassion and tolerance, why don't we see massive demonstrations by Muslims against the terrorists who have taken over Islam to further their political ambitions?

I'm sorry, but I really believe many adherents of Islam tacitly support the actions of Islamic terrorists, because, in their minds, the ends justify the means.

Well, in that case all omid can say is that you don't know nothing about Islam, all you do is look at some Muslims and make assumptions about Islam.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 30/07/2010 12:11:09 »
Omid,

I did not say all Muslims are anti-American. I have some good friends who are Muslims. What I said was Islam is anti-American.

If it's a religion of great compassion and tolerance, why don't we see massive demonstrations by Muslims against the terrorists who have taken over Islam to further their political ambitions?

I'm sorry, but I really believe many adherents of Islam tacitly support the actions of Islamic terrorists, because, in their minds, the ends justify the means.

Christianity and Catholicism are supposed to be religions or compassion and peace, but I haven't seen big demonstrations against the Church being used as a political tool, as it is nowadays or riots (by Catholics) against the Pope for the countless heinous crimes of the Catholic church over the centuries.

Some believers of Islam may well support the terrorist tactics, even if they are not terrorists themselves, however that is not to say Islam itself is anti-West. Islam existed way before anything 'West' was defined.
Many Irish were sympathetic to the Cause, but not all of them supported the tactics of the IRA.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #52 on: 30/07/2010 15:31:22 »
Christianity and Catholicism are supposed to be religions or compassion and peace, but I haven't seen big demonstrations against the Church being used as a political tool, as it is nowadays or riots (by Catholics) against the Pope for the countless heinous crimes of the Catholic church over the centuries.

Some believers of Islam may well support the terrorist tactics, even if they are not terrorists themselves, however that is not to say Islam itself is anti-West. Islam existed way before anything 'West' was defined.
Many Irish were sympathetic to the Cause, but not all of them supported the tactics of the IRA.

Hear Hear!

All religions are, from time to time, guilty of hypocrisy and violent in their execution.  That doesn't mean their teachings are wrong to start with though. - It's human

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30/07/2010 15:39:51 »

Hear Hear!

All religions are, from time to time, guilty of hypocrisy and violent in their execution.  That doesn't mean their teachings are wrong to start with though. - It's human

Agreed. For centuries humans have used religion as a excuse to be extremely crappy to each other, and if it isn't religion it is another excuse. Politics and power struggles are usually involved, religion forms a great tool of social control.

It is also worth remembering that a Muslim from Saudia Arabia or Africa is very different to a Muslim from Iran or Iraq ( for examples) They have different beliefs and cultures, otherwise it is the same as saying " a dog bit me, that animal is a dog therefore it will bite me".

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 30/07/2010 16:02:11 »
At least with this thread TNS would like me to date Musilm women....which is nice !

« Last Edit: 30/07/2010 16:35:42 by neilep »

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30/07/2010 18:37:34 »
Omid,

You state that Americans have done injustices towards innocent Muslims. That's a very sweeping statement, and it implies that you think Americans are prejudiced against Muslims. That is simply not true, but it's typical of so much of the rhetoric that is used by those who want to incite hatred and violence.

Well, omid said so cz omid've seen things closer compare to anyone here on TNS.
Things that omid've experienced at the age of 18, omid don't think anybody has ever at any age.

Further to that No comments!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 30/07/2010 18:57:21 by omid »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30/07/2010 19:34:47 »

Yes, but the priests in Ireland were not exactly issuing assassination fatwas, although I'm sure some of them may have been ambiguous in their response to terror. Yes, if we look at history we can find reasons for anyone to hate just about anyone else, but I'm more concerned about where we go from here. Personally, I'm extremely pessimistic.

There is a very large elephant in the room that is taking us down a path to nuclear destruction, but many people are ignoring the elephant in the hope that it will simply go away, while others are trying to appease it.

Islam may be a wonderful religion, but IMHO it has been infiltrated by terrorists and politicians who then hide behind it and use it to control others. Good Muslims are being intimidated by these people as much as everyone else, but they seem to shrug and accept it.
« Last Edit: 30/07/2010 19:43:35 by Geezer »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30/07/2010 20:19:32 »
Personally I think (in MY opinion) that all religion is a load of marshmallow poo !!

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 30/07/2010 20:30:37 »
es, but the priests in Ireland were not exactly issuing assassination fatwas, although I'm sure some of them may have been ambiguous in their response to terror. Yes, if we look at history we can find reasons for anyone to hate just about anyone else, but I'm more concerned about where we go from here. Personally, I'm extremely pessimistic.

No but some did encourage and support the terrorist tactics of the IRA, with some of them supplying names for potential targets. Juat as some Islamic clerics preach the same, but not all. Islam doesn't begin and end in Iran/Iraq.

There is a very large elephant in the room that is taking us down a path to nuclear destruction, but many people are ignoring the elephant in the hope that it will simply go away, while others are trying to appease it.

I can agree with that. However the terror threat, such as it is has been blown way out of proportion, leading to a snowball effect. It cannot have escaped your notice how many new laws and legislation have been brought in under the guise of terrorism? This government have only just dropped the ID card scheme because they realise they still cannot get it through.
Aside from that we are now all conditioned to think Muslims all hate Westerners and they are all potential terrorists! This creates and even wider divide in communities.

Islam may be a wonderful religion, but IMHO it has been infiltrated by terrorists and politicians who then hide behind it and use it to control others. Good Muslims are being intimidated by these people as much as everyone else, but they seem to shrug and accept it.   

I don't think that is true, it is a far more complex issue than that. Plus not all Muslims have the same views on Islam, they differ widely from country to country. The girl I share office and lab space with is from Saudi Arabia, she told me that despite being Muslim, if she went to Iran her life would be in danger because  of her countries, and families Islamic beliefs.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30/07/2010 21:17:52 »
es, but the priests in Ireland were not exactly issuing assassination fatwas, although I'm sure some of them may have been ambiguous in their response to terror. Yes, if we look at history we can find reasons for anyone to hate just about anyone else, but I'm more concerned about where we go from here. Personally, I'm extremely pessimistic.

No but some did encourage and support the terrorist tactics of the IRA, with some of them supplying names for potential targets. Juat as some Islamic clerics preach the same, but not all. Islam doesn't begin and end in Iran/Iraq.

I can agree with that. However the terror threat, such as it is has been blown way out of proportion, leading to a snowball effect. It cannot have escaped your notice how many new laws and legislation have been brought in under the guise of terrorism? This government have only just dropped the ID card scheme because they realise they still cannot get it through.
Aside from that we are now all conditioned to think Muslims all hate Westerners and they are all potential terrorists! This creates and even wider divide in communities.

I don't think that is true, it is a far more complex issue than that. Plus not all Muslims have the same views on Islam, they differ widely from country to country. The girl I share office and lab space with is from Saudi Arabia, she told me that despite being Muslim, if she went to Iran her life would be in danger because  of her countries, and families Islamic beliefs.

Believe me, I'm no fan of the Catholic Church either.

Yes, it's very complicated, but until Islam gets out of politics, which I doubt will ever happen, I believe the situation is only going to get worse.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #60 on: 30/07/2010 21:22:33 »
Personally I think (in MY opinion) that all religion is a load of marshmallow poo !!

Never quite heard it called that, but I'm of the same opinion!
That's not to say lots of good peeps who I respect hold those views  ::)

Believe me, I'm no fan of the Catholic Church either.

Yes, it's very complicated, but until Islam gets out of politics, which I doubt will ever happen, I believe the situation is only going to get worse.

Let's hope we see all faiths out of politics!!!

Especially let's hope we never again see a neo-con hijack of the Christian right in the US as happened in GW Bush's first election run  >:(
« Last Edit: 30/07/2010 21:27:11 by peppercorn »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30/07/2010 21:31:23 »
Or politics keeps out of Islam.

I agree peppercorn, interestingly most 'new' religions sprout up in America.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30/07/2010 21:45:52 »

Never quite heard it called that, but I'm of the same opinion!
That's not to say lots of good peeps who I respect hold those views  ::)

I totally agree......that's why I help in the moderation of another forum specifically dealing with multi-faith beliefs.

I may be an athiest but I am open minded to entertain the idea that I may be persuaded otherwise !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30/07/2010 21:48:15 »
I'm with Neil btw.

As I mentioned earlier, if I could, I'd shut 'em all down - no, crap, that wouldn't work either. That would make me just as bad. People should be free to believe whatever they like, as long as they don't try to cram it down anyone else's throat.

Yes, some are hell bent on turning the US into a "Christian" nation - not if I can help it.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 30/07/2010 22:04:17 »
  I'm with Neil btw.

That's great news, you will make a wonderful couple...  :D

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 31/07/2010 08:33:10 »
It's not uncommon to hear people say that "Americans are killing innocent Muslims". While I'm sure it is true that Americans have killed innocent Muslims, either unintentionally, or in some cases, because of criminal actions, I don't hear too often that Muslims are killing other innocent Muslims, although that seems to be a very regular occurrence.

Those who would claim that suicide bombers are not good Muslims may be a bit confused. I would think that the bombers are quite convinced they will be rewarded for their actions because they are good Muslims, otherwise, why would they do it?

What is Islam's position on the the killing of innocent Muslims (not to mention countless non-Muslims) by Muslim suicide bombers? 

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31/07/2010 13:39:48 »
Yes, some are hell bent on turning the US into a "Christian" nation - not if I can help it.

Amen to that! 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #66 on: 31/07/2010 13:39:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums