The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Forgotten pain OK?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Little scientist

• First timers
    • View Profile
Forgotten pain OK?
« on: 16/01/2006 22:07:56 »
We know that if people are sedated for procedures that they can still feel pain, but it's often said it's OK they won't remember it later.

Apart from the psychological factors, such as not becoming phobic, why does it make it OK if it isn't remembered?

(just to say, I know that there is often no practical alternative but I'd like to know what other people think about this, particularly medics or people who've experienced this.)

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten pain OK?
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2006 22:32:37 »
This is something I've heard about but not really given a lot of thought to.. what do they mean by "can feel pain", and how can they tell? Are we talking about monitoring brain patterns here, or something else?
Also, are you thinking of procedures under sedation in the sense of just soporifics, or general anaesthetic type sedation? Are these different?
My initial reaction is that pain is so strongly tied up with fear (which presumably is more or less eliminated under sedation? or is it?) that perhaps if the fear isn't there it isn't really what I'd describe as pain?
It's a good question...

Offline Little scientist

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2006 20:08:45 »
Well, I've been present at procedures where people have been sedated and conscious although sleepy, and people post op who've been in pain from what they say then and the noises they make, but have no recollection of it later.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2006 20:08:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums