The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can eye 'exercises' improve eyesight?  (Read 5716 times)

Offline sten

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can eye 'exercises' improve eyesight?
« on: 24/07/2010 13:30:37 »
Thousands of people claim some eye exercise technique helped with their short sightedness. Many of them are blatant con artists but others appear genuine believers and want to share their experience. Techniques can include focusing on distant objects at regular intervals.

Have any of these claims been scientifically tested and can sight test prescriptions go down as well as up?

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
Can eye 'exercises' improve eyesight?
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2010 15:04:33 »
well we cant refuse any such concept, because in medicine there is something called placebo effect, many ppl are benifited from it and hence makes either a biased study or showing some relation to those, and its entirely up to the person to accept it or not. besides such tech dont have any side effect and hence got the approval.

Offline MikeCoza2012

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Can eye 'exercises' improve eyesight?
« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2012 07:42:15 »
If you want to improve your eyesight naturally, you should know first the eye exercises that can strengthen the muscle of your eyes & reduces eyestrain, eye exercises such as Call The Ball, Follow Your Thumb, Palming, Bead And String, Look Away. Healthy diet is very important too, eat foods like Carrot, Eggs, Milk, Apricots, Berries, Black Currants, Cold-water Fish, Collard Green, Grapefruits, Grapes, Lemons, Plums, Spinach, Fish Oil, Raw Garlic(fresh). If you want to learn more about this natural vision correction visit at bit(dot)ly/HowGetRidOfYourGlasses

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2012 08:56:25 »
These eye exercises can help preventative, but not curative.
Basically it comes down to: "Don't focus your eyes too long on the same distance". Practically this means, if you're reading a book or watching a screen for long periods, you should look around in the room you're in every 10 minutes or so.
Your eyesight will not improve with these exercises, but it slows down the worsening considerably.

Offline berkxz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2014 04:28:37 »
Yes! It's possible as some of my friends are experiencing improvements from doing eye exercises. Bates method is not approved by the eye organization international but some are experiencing great results from it. Why it is not approved? IMO, if they will approve bates method, do you think the lasik surgery and glasses company owners will be happy? NO!!! That's why they will never approve it even though some are experiencing great results from it. My friend got the guide on newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4g2pFWVw-M [nonactive] from a video testimonial of some non-profit organization that shares health and beauty secrets. You should try it yourself.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2014 15:10:09 »
I DID IT! I DID IT!

Yes, I really did do it, I took my glasses off and walked straight into the door!
Now I don't wear glasses any more................. because my bloody nose hurts!

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2014 18:38:09 »
I don't know if there's any way to maintain or extend your focus range, but I am trying to maintain my ability to focus to infinity without going so far as to be able to focus beyond it. I've started using glasses for reading some of the time, even though I can read easily without them, and I'm doing this because I was beginning to lose the ability to focus to infinity. I've gradually managed to get it back, but I don't want to overdo it as gaining the ability to focus beyond infinity is a useless ability which comes at the expense of losing more of your near vision. Many people (close relatives of mine included) can only focus beyond infinity and need to wear glasses all the time as a result, so that's something worth avoiding if possible. I'm going to try to avoid the need to wear glasses all the time by wearing different kinds of glasses some of the time to steer my focus range as it diminishes into the place where it will be most useful, and that means a range including infinity and as much as possible closer than that. I've noticed that people's eyes tend to get worse once they start wearing glasses and they have to keep changing to stronger and stronger lenses over time as the glasses they're wearing make their ability to focus worse, so my aim is to use glasses to do the opposite.

Offline henrycalvin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2016 08:02:14 »
I DID IT! I DID IT!

Yes, I really did do it, I took my glasses off and walked straight into the door!
Now I don't wear glasses any more................. because my bloody nose hurts!

i have heard that waling on grass early morning can also help to improve your eyesights

Offline Edmonn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/02/2016 09:32:26 »
Eye exercises will definitely promise natural vision improvement. Self-help programs like the (MOD EDIT: Commercial link removed) and many other vision programs which are promoted online usually claim that they can reduce refractive errors such as nearsightedness and astigmatism.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2016 08:51:11 by Colin2B »

Offline henrycalvin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08/04/2016 08:22:27 »
Exactly but there is no source of which we can rely on these online courses.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09/04/2016 22:45:47 »
As Nizzle said it's more preventative than curative. But the benefits in young people are substantial according to this article.  It's about an epidemic of myopia in Asia. "Sixty years ago, 1020% of the Chinese population was short-sighted. Today, up to 90% of teenagers and young adults are. In Seoul, a whopping 96.5% of 19-year-old men are short-sighted." In studies,  focusing frequently on distant objects as well exposure to bright sunlight helped reduce myopia in Chinese school children. Sunlight causes the release of retinal dopamine which prevents elongation of the eyeball.
 http://www.nature.com/news/the-myopia-boom-1.17120
« Last Edit: 09/04/2016 22:56:12 by cheryl j »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 09/04/2016 22:45:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums