The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Help needed with substance analysis!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline taylorr

• First timers
    • View Profile
Help needed with substance analysis!
« on: 27/07/2010 16:17:49 »
Hi i have recently found that a black residue is being left behind by the water in my apartment. It is most noticeable when water from the bath has been drained away, i have run a bath full of water on a number of occasions and let it drain to find this black powder like substance left in the bottom (no i wasn't in the bath at the time, so its not just because I'm particularly dirty!). I have collected a number of photographs (Please follow link to flickr.com page) newbielink:http://www.flickr.com/photos/52527464@N08/ [nonactive] including photos at varying magnification from a microscope. I am looking for the help of your good selves in helping to identify this substance!
Thanks
Taylor

Link to photos again:
newbielink:http://www.flickr.com/photos/52527464@N08/ [nonactive]

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2010 05:41:04 »
How old are the pipes? Is it particularly hard water(pH, and CaCO3 levels)? How chlorinated is it (in dryer climates it is usually heavily chlorinated because the water has been on the surface for some time). Just a wild guess that it is some kind of oxide, either Cu or Fe. I would have said some kind of mold, except you stated it was a powder.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2010 06:59:07 »
Is the black stuff magnetic?

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2010 15:59:13 »
I can remember seeing almost the same thing after a flood that affected the water mains followed by the water main repair it  lasted a little more then a week.
Is your appartment complex the only one affected? Like BC said check if the suff is magnetic.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2010 15:59:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums