The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Cola Affect Bones ?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Does Cola Affect Bones ?
« on: 29/07/2010 18:48:32 »
As a sheepy I of course luff cola....cola is my all time favourite carbonated brown drink that  tastes like...well....cola.......I luff coke floats (coke and ice cream..yummy)

Look here's a coke float...yummy eh ?

A Yummy Coke Float Yesterday

Last night I went out for a meal with my cuz.......he told me that he has to quit drinking cola cos he is in danger of becoming arthritic......he's 29 !!...but......he drinks a load of cola....maybe 6 litres a day !....

He could not explain it to me so I want to know how cola affects the bones ?..I can understand the teeth because there is direct contact but the bones ?

How come ?..what if it's a diet coke ? a caffeine free coke ?

I want to know so that I can kick his arse into gear !!

Ta

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah

Neil
I'm Cola-n-fused
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 29/07/2010 19:21:27 by neilep »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Re: How Does Cola Affect Bones ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2010 19:13:44 »
There have been theories about this over the years, as I understand it, it goes something like this. 
When carbon dioxide enters the blood stream, it turns into carbonic acid, which can lower the pH of the blood.(acidosis) To compensate for this calcium is leeched off your bones, or intercepted on the way to your bones  by the carbonic acid.
Phosphorous has been suggested as a culprit too, if there is too much phosphoric acid in your diet and not enough calcium the balance is tipped towards  phosphorous and this can lead to decrease in bone density over time.
Caffeine has been mentioned too as is causes kidneys to pull in sodium from the bloodstream, but because of the biochemistry this also means calcium ions are pulled in too.
Another point to ponder s that people who drink excessive amount of fizzy drinks have a diet low in nutrients.

But essentially unless you are drinking litres a day and have a good diet then there isn't much to worry about

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2010 19:24:01 »
There have been theories about this over the years, as I understand it, it goes something like this. 
When carbon dioxide enters the blood stream, it turns into carbonic acid, which can lower the pH of the blood.(acidosis) To compensate for this calcium is leeched off your bones, or intercepted on the way to your bones  by the carbonic acid.
Phosphorous has been suggested as a culprit too, if there is too much phosphoric acid in your diet and not enough calcium the balance is tipped towards  phosphorous and this can lead to decrease in bone density over time.
Caffeine has been mentioned too as is causes kidneys to pull in sodium from the bloodstream, but because of the biochemistry this also means calcium ions are pulled in too.
Another point to ponder s that people who drink excessive amount of fizzy drinks have a diet low in nutrients.

But essentially unless you are drinking litres a day and have a good diet then there isn't much to worry about

Woo !!

Thanks variola....wooo...........ewe know stuff !

I really apprecaite your comments here. Yes, he ' used' to drink about three large bottles...so circa 5-6 litres a day and though he has no indications of arthritis he has been warned that he needs to stop. I will pass on your info which is greatfully received.

ta

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2010 19:24:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums