The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Has Happend To This Concrete Floor ?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Has Happend To This Concrete Floor ?
« on: 02/08/2010 07:48:28 »
Dearest Concrete-Floorologists,

As a sheepy I of course just luff to stand on floors. Floors are my all time favourite lower surface of a place that ewe can walk on....other uses for floors are for putting things on and supporting walls....which is nice !

Look...here is a photo that i took at 2:30am this morning of me walking on a floor. My foot is enclosed and for your convenience I have labelled the picture so that ewe are not confused.

My Foot And A Thing On A Floor

See that blobby thing ?....Can ewe tell me what it is ?...it seems to be bubbling up from the floor although it is hard !

Any ideas ?..Could it be a corrosive reaction ? I could not see anything dripping from above but I do wonder if something is falling on this spot.....I'll check next time.

I hope ewe can help me here because if I knew what it was it would put me in a comfort zone when ever I walk by it !

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
I Walk On Floors
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 15:21:56 by neilep »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What Has Happend To This Concrete Floor ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/2010 08:54:06 »
looks like dodgy DIY patches with cement to fill holes in the concrete floor

« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 08:59:29 by RD »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What Has Happend To This Concrete Floor ?
« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2010 12:50:08 »
What no high-heels?  Very impressed at you walking on wall - is this an ovine speciality?

Could it be an accretion from a drip coming down from ceiling.  We are taught that stalagmites (and -tites) take millennia to form; but I have seen round blobs start to form in London Underground stations.  I guess that these drips are able to dissolve more minerals and thus able to deposit more than the purely natural ones.

The mini-stalagmite I am thinking of is at Mile End - but the station is undergoing a major refurb, and I am not sure if they will have got rid of the floor lumps.  i'll take a photo for comparison if I can still find them.

Matthew
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 12:52:25 by imatfaal »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 13:37:41 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/08/2010 15:23:46 »
looks like dodgy DIY patches with cement to fill holes in the concrete floor

Thanks RD......there are quite a few of them about...I will look in more detail tonight. I know ewe just can't wait for me to report more. ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2010 15:30:40 »
What no high-heels?  Very impressed at you walking on wall - is this an ovine speciality?

Could it be an accretion from a drip coming down from ceiling.  We are taught that stalagmites (and -tites) take millennia to form; but I have seen round blobs start to form in London Underground stations.  I guess that these drips are able to dissolve more minerals and thus able to deposit more than the purely natural ones.

The mini-stalagmite I am thinking of is at Mile End - but the station is undergoing a major refurb, and I am not sure if they will have got rid of the floor lumps.  i'll take a photo for comparison if I can still find them.

Matthew

D'OH !!..I did say ' wall' didn't I ?..I've corrected that faux pas.

Thanks Matthew.....I'll make sure I'll have a real good look around this evening/tomorrow morning and see if I can see something above....it's very high ceiling and it's dark up there !......It'll be interesting to see your piccys for comparison if ewe are able.

I keep catching the high heels in the little nooks and crannies so ufortunately they simply have to take a back seat.....but....be rest asurred they are on in a cold second and beneath my trousers the lengerie is still there !...oh yes !! ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2010 15:32:25 »
Acid rain can erode stonework ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain#Other_adverse_effects

http://www.bradlewis.com/concretesealing/concretedrivewaysealing.php

Thanks RD....one thing I forgot to mention above is that all these blobs are inside and not open to the environment.....sorry about that and thanks again.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2010 13:34:39 »
Here are piccies from Mile End Station.  FYG Mile End is quite an old underground station and has always had a leaky ceiling.  These little moundy things are at various places on the platform - and before they redid the ceiling they were in the places of the persistent drips (I am sure in a couple of years they will be dripped on again)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2010 13:35:37 »
And in close up

Matthew

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/08/2010 13:52:10 »
Hmmmmm I am not sure.... which bit is the mouldy bit and which is your shoe??  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2010 15:12:30 »
Here are piccies from Mile End Station.  FYG Mile End is quite an old underground station and has always had a leaky ceiling.  These little moundy things are at various places on the platform - and before they redid the ceiling they were in the places of the persistent drips (I am sure in a couple of years they will be dripped on again)

Now that's some kwality drippage sexed up by some classy footwear !!

Thansk Matthew !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/08/2010 15:18:02 »
Ok..I have a piccy of the very same drippage as in my first picture but from a different locale. This is in fact a Bomb Shelter and the exact same formations are collecting on the ground but...fortunately..if ewe look close ewe can actually see two stalctitaly type hangy thingys oozing from the ceiling. Considering how thick that ceiling must be what on earth could be leaking through it ?...it's all white !!...however...I believe that what ever is dripping down may in fact be transparent and either the white is the residue or as a result of the corrosive !

Oh, the acoustics down there are amazing !!...I'm singing me...I'm singing at 3am in a bomb shelter !

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/2011 13:42:38 »

One needs to be logged into the site to see our avatar-type ID's. I looked at the first post and thought - He's right! I then read the rest of Mr. M's reply and decided to reply, had to log in and ZAP! BAM! POW! - transvestite sheep thingie.

Matthew

You are correct, Sir.

Concrete is nothing but dry lime and high purity and quality shale mixed at specific percentages. At least that was before science intervened. Salt has been added to decrease drying time and there are custom formulas for all types of uses, included cement that will dry under water. There are a myriad of additives these days.

Anywho. 

Water slowly percolating through normal cement is a given - it will and there is no way to stop it.

Back to class, kids: What, class is the the result of combining water and dry lime? That's right, Kenny, LIMESTONE! (Oh My God, They Killed Kenny! Those Bastards!)

So with an excess of water, the dissolved limestone is carried away and honest-to-god (well sort of) stalagmites and stalactites form. The only thing keeping them fro being 100% gen-u-ine is that they are not in a cave.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/02/2011 15:03:47 »
Thanks Jimbob.  I had forgotten I had promised to take a photo of the little accretions at Mile End - will try and remember tonight.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2011 00:21:54 »
I'm pretty sure those are stalagmites (remember - the mites go up, and the tights come down). Obviously, his sheepiness glued the wet floor sign to the ceiling prior to taking the shot.

Dang sheeps! You simply can't trust them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2011 00:21:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums