The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there any risk living under power lines?  (Read 53482 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Is there any risk living under power lines?
« Reply #75 on: 01/01/2011 06:31:32 »
Steve is quite right.

It's really easy to generate a charge of 100kV on a person when they walk across a room with a nylon carpet. It's not a new phenomenon either.

The only thing that's different is that we have currents flowing through conductors that can induce electromagnetic force in adjacent conductors.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 01/01/2011 07:13:42 »
I thought I'd see what happened when I walked towards the nearby power lines holding my compass. 

I couldn't really observe anything.  Perhaps because the lines were carrying 3 phase AC Current, 60hz, so the field should always be shifting.

Either that, or the far greater magnetic field is that exerted by the earth.  Should we plan on moving to Venus to get away from Earth's magnetic field?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 01/01/2011 07:28:27 »
I thought I'd see what happened when I walked towards the nearby power lines holding my compass. 

I couldn't really observe anything.  Perhaps because the lines were carrying 3 phase AC Current, 60hz, so the field should always be shifting.

Either that, or the far greater magnetic field is that exerted by the earth.  Should we plan on moving to Venus to get away from Earth's magnetic field?

Well, it sort of depends. If the currents flowing in all three conductors were equal, and you were at the same distance from all three conductors (which may not be too easy to arrange) then you would only experience the field from other stuff, like, for example, the Earth's magnetic field.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01/01/2011 22:19:45 »
This one summarize what we know today pretty good I think
Cell Phones and Cancer Risk, as you can see the research continues.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 02/01/2011 05:14:46 »
Nice report Yoron.

I particularly enjoyed,

13. What can cell phone users do to reduce their exposure to RF energy?

While similar to the intent of their answer, mine might have been a teeny bit more direct. Something like

"Quit yakking, and get off the damn phone!"

SteveFish

« Reply #80 on: 02/01/2011 17:58:22 »
In addition to "Quit yakking, and get off the damn phone!" I would add, if you are concerned quit griping and get a wired head set so you can keep the phone away from your body. I don't think that this is necessary, but the inverse square law should allay the fears of anyone who disagrees. Steve

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 29/01/2011 19:52:33 »
Yep Steve, quite right you are, and Geezer of course.

Ah, btw, You wouldn't happen to have a daughter would you?
Just asking :)
??

Geezer I mean.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 30/01/2011 08:35:06 »
You wouldn't happen to have a daughter would you?

Two actually. Fortunately, mobile phones only became mandatory accessories some time after they left home!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 30/01/2011 19:26:14 »
In addition to "Quit yakking, and get off the damn phone!" I would add, if you are concerned quit griping and get a wired head set so you can keep the phone away from your body. I don't think that this is necessary, but the inverse square law should allay the fears of anyone who disagrees. Steve

Someone checked into that idea and found that the wires acted like  wave-guides and channelled more of the RF straight into your head.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 30/01/2011 19:39:04 »

Someone checked into that idea and found that the wires acted like  wave-guides and channelled more of the RF straight into your head.

Good point! I never heard that one before, but I'm pretty sure the headset cable will work as a highly effective antenna using the human head as a ground plane. Ironically, nearly all the energy will be coming from the user's own phone.

Offline highvoltpower

• Power Automation Systems India
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any risk living under power lines?
« Reply #85 on: 22/04/2016 07:32:56 »
Lee,

I am not claiming an undisputed fact. My position is simply "there is no known scientific evidence that connects cancer with power lines". That does not say there never will be, it's just the current state of understanding.

You have said EMR (btw - more correctly we are discussing the effects of ELF) "can" cause cancer. If that's true, I'd like to see the evidence and an explanation for the mechanism.

According to Edward W. Campion, M.D. (New England Journal of Medicine, 337:44, July 3, 1997):

"there is no convincing evidence that high-voltage power lines are a health hazard or a cause of cancer...18 years of research have produced considerable paranoia, but little insight and no prevention. It is time to stop wasting our research resources. We should redirect them to research that will be able to discover the true biologic causes of the leukemic clones that threaten the lives of children."
YES, risk to live near power lines, because of high-voltage wires can lead to many health issues like leukemia and cancer. Electromagnetic censor is responsible for creating negative value on your body.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #86 on: 22/04/2016 09:19:18 »
YES, risk to live near power lines, because of high-voltage wires can lead to many health issues like leukemia and cancer. Electromagnetic censor is responsible for creating negative value on your body.

What's the evidence to support your claims?

You can't just say what you have without evidence-based justification. This is a scientific forum, not a platform for propaganda. There may well be an effect, but here we work with evidence, not gut instinct.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #86 on: 22/04/2016 09:19:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length