The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Temperature inside my car  (Read 7864 times)

Offline Dr B

• View Profile
Temperature inside my car
« on: 19/01/2006 17:42:55 »
We are getting rather cold here in Istanbul at the moment - Siberian Snow is arriving at the weekend!

My question:  It feels colder inside my car than  outside when I get in it first thing in the morning.  Is this true and if not then why does it feel so much colder inside the car?

Dr B
Istanbul

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
Re: Temperature inside my car
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2006 22:38:59 »
Hi,
Two things come to mind about why you would feel the cold more in your car.
1:The air inside your car would be damper than outside and the moisture would make your face and hands feel the cold more.
2: The cushion of warm air inside your clothing is removed from your backside when you sit down.

Tomorrow lies outside our universe without it there would be no tomorrow.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2006 11:40:39 »
How about a more direct explanation.

I will make a sweeping assumption, that you are making this comparison when you first get into your car in the morning.

I will assume that you car has been parked outside overnight.

I will assume that the outside air has already started, very slightly, to warm; whereas the air inside your car is still lagging behind in warming, having spent all night cooling down.

Ofcourse, if you were a night worker, getting into your car just as the outside temperature is falling, while the inside of your car has been exposed to the heat of the day for many hours; then the above will be wholly incorrect.

Offline DrPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2006 12:50:30 »
Have you tried using a thermometer to verify if it is really cooler in the car or if it just feels cooler?

If it really is cooler then maybe it could be the result of radiative cooling. Radiative cooling is when the thermal radiation (infrared at 10Ám or there about) from an object on earth's surface is lost directly to the colder upper atmospheric layers. The object could cool down below the ambient air temperature. This is why on a clear night frost can appear when the air temperature is still above freezing.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2006 08:44:54 »
I find this difficult to understand.  In cold weather getting into a cold car I feel warmer because i'm out of the wind although I agree sitting down on to cold seats can feel very cold.

I think that this sensation must be subjective.

One possibility is that we might be able to "feel" cold surfaces nearby by sensing the difference in infra red radiation between what we radiate and what we get back from nearby objects.  When we are out in the open there are no nearby objects and so this sense of cold is not activated so even though we are receiving more radiation from the surface than the no radiation from the sky we feel colder very near to or inside the car because we can sense a cold object nearby.

It is interesting to note that one of the least well understood senses is the ability of our skin to sense all sorts of conditions like quite precise details of hardness, surface textrure and dampness as well as heat and cold.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2006 10:34:14 »
If the night was very cold but by the time of the morning the weather has warmed up considerably, and your car is parked in a shadow it is possible that it is colder as the air inside the car is essentially insulated from the outside world by a car. This means it will stay colder longer, although I would have thought it was more to do with sitting down or something psycological

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2006 10:34:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums