The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could Dark matter be spacetime?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline darkmatterphilosopher

• View Profile
Could Dark matter be spacetime?
« on: 05/08/2010 03:43:32 »
I asked this very same question in the physics forum and got no answer other than "your question is stupid". What are your thoughts?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/2010 12:45:53 »
I hope JP doesn't get too upset when he reads this thread - I thought he gave a very reasoned answer why he doesn't think it is. 

Without greater elaboration from your side my immediate reaction is that dark matter and spacetime are incommensurable; they are incapable of being directly equated.  I have no doubt the members of this forum would be delighted to be witness to a new idea in physics and would throw themselves into the argument and proof.  however, what you have so far said is entirely against everything that I have learnt; you need to provide a spark of innovation that ties your novel idea into observations, or shows where the current paradigm fails.   

I have read and written at great length on Kuhn and this just isn't one of those situations - it might become one if a coherent and  mathematically consistent argument arises, but at present you (the promoter of the proto-theory) need to put a bit of meat on bones so that a valid discussion can take place.  In the 20th century physics took a turn that can very easily be mis-interpreted as non-empirical and more philosophical (mutability of space-time, the uncertainty principle, etc) but this is not the case; modern physics is tightly constrained and bound up with mathematical proofs.  No one would or could claim that the current ideas explaining our universal laws are complete  (thus the postulation of dark matter to an extent); but, in most observable situations, they are incredibly accurate and have been tested to exhaustion.  To posit a new basic theorem one needs to show where it fits into the currently working pattern or how the new theory creates a new structure. 

Hope the above makes sense - and I hope you can provide a bit more substance to enable the discussion to continue.

Matthew

Offline darkmatterphilosopher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/2010 18:01:20 »
Thanks for the same reply i got from everyone on the physics board. [8]

Offline SuperPrincipia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2010 21:30:36 »
I do not think that Dark Matter is Spacetime. Although Dark Matter arises from the condensing and vortex motion of Spacetime. Einstein's equations for General Relativity allow for Spacetime to be described as a real gas that behaves like an ideal gas; this is also equivalent to a vortex, and separate from Dark Matter.

Dark Matter must be related to the gas properties of matter, the density of the overall matter system, and the velocity of the matter units relative to the center of mass of the system as whole.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2010 22:19:05 »
I asked this very same question in the physics forum and got no answer other than "your question is stupid". What are your thoughts?

Your question is still stupid.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2010 22:19:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums