The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How would a cave-buried-body look after 50 years?  (Read 3441 times)

ColourFX

ColourFX  asked the Naked Scientists:

I have to make a skeleton (decomposing body) look like it is 40-50 years old for a student film shoot. I like to be as accurate as possible. The body would have been in a very cold, damp cave.

What would the state of decomposition be? Would there be any flesh etc.. left? or just old bones? Also, I image  the bones would not be dirty and dark as they would be in a dry warm environment, is this correct?

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.

Ria Ambrose

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/08/2010 11:30:03 by _system »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How would a cave-buried-body look after 50 years?
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/2010 15:17:39 »
Fleshless - There are many little critters, insects mostly, but the occasional reptile is known, that live in caves. And if the body was close to the opening, mammalian scavengers can also deflesh the body.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2010 16:57:20 »
I may be wrong, but I would think that a dry, hot environment would produce whiter bone because of sun bleaching. 

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2010 02:56:33 »
In the dark, wet environment you describe in the first sentence (the question) they will become dirty with mud stains, bat droppings, insect dung and they will be a bit moldy as well.

Even if the area outside is mostly below freezing, from deep in the cave there will be a wind blowing that is above freezing allowing for the rotting of flesh.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2010 02:56:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums