The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Questions About Interstaller Space and Going Past the Heliosphere  (Read 1212 times)

Offline shadowdrummer46

• View Profile
I'm very interested in this subject because of all of the talk of longtime space voyages in the future, however realistic they may be, we still only have one (or is it two by now?) objects outside the heliosphere, Of course I'm talking about the great Voyagers 1 and 2.

I've tried to find some information regarding interstellar space and only found out about a few things (they may or not be correct); Interstellar winds exist, although I'm not clear on what exactly they are, and that the heliosphere might be too charged for sophisticated electronics to get through it.

If anyone can explain these further or point me in the right direction that would be some interesting reading.

Being 19 and with Virgin Galactic in its infancy, readily available private sector space flight seems likely in my generation, which is what excites me about the possibly of traveling further, possibly further than our solar system.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I doubt whether you will have to be concerned about manned flights to the heliopause even in your lifetime. It will need both a big step in technology and a reason to do it, neither of which seem likely at present.

I didn't know there was any concern (there may be - I just had not heard of it) about vehicles passing through these regions. They are just point where the solar wind (electrons and protons) eventually interacts with the particles (hydrogen, helium, more protons etc.) that fly about in interstellar space: similar stuff plus a few grains of dust, but moving in different directions compared with the stuff flying out radially from the sun. For a while (5 to 10 M years) the region around our solar system has had quite a low density of stuff in it compared to the average for the galaxy. It's called the local bubble with a density of only .05 atoms per cc. I did not know this but your question prompted me to look it up.

You got some of the words, heliosphere, heliopause, solar wind etc. You can Google and then find other references.

Offline shadowdrummer46

• View Profile
Well I certainly dont plan on an interstellar flight in my life but im saying affordable private sector space flight is almost certain, so it kinda peaked my interest while thinking what this could lead too.

Glad I could inspire you to learn something new :)

I couldnt provide a source off the top of my head, but I seem to remember there was some conern about the build up of charged particles from solar winds interacting with interstellar winds.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums