The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's with all the tea threads?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
What's with all the tea threads?
« on: 12/08/2010 22:48:43 »
OK, this is weird. One thread mentions tea and suddenly we are infused with tea threads. What is going on!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2010 23:10:37 »
OK, this is weird. One thread mentions tea and suddenly we are infused with tea threads. What is going on!

I'd leave that one alone if I were you.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2010 00:42:48 »
Yep, the whole forum is going to pot.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2010 02:52:37 »
It's code for a subversive underground organization that calls itself the Texas Education Agency

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2010 04:11:53 »

If you really wish to have the definitive answer.......
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=31700.msg319413#msg319413

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2010 03:05:45 »
It's code for a subversive underground organization that calls itself the Texas Education Agency

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/

Actually, this is no laughing matter. It has a very, very conservative textbook Committee that selects and approves text books and their contents. This year it has let new contracts for the next 10 years of text books. The textbooks are a complete revision of the present not very scientifically or historically balanced books already in use . The new books read like 19th century text books: Religion is emphasized, Civil Rights is portrayed as the actions of a revisionist court system, persons with even moderately liberal stances are expunged(!)

Just a cursory look at social studies in High school (9 through 12) shows that there is no longer any "of the Cold War and post-Cold War eras" "the Great Depression."  "the impact of significant individuals including John J. Pershing during World War I;" " and a complete revision of sciences in which evolution is a theory, creationism is a co-equal, the Bible is a historical document - on and on and on.

The most troubling part is that Texas, buy going over every word and changing the text books to a reading that the ultra conservative members wish to have, impacts about 1/2 of all of the textbooks sold in the US because many, many other states cannot do it and the text book publishers want to save money and do not bother to publish competing texts.

It is a travesty.

« Last Edit: 15/08/2010 16:58:26 by JimBob »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2010 07:12:45 »

Sad.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2010 10:24:36 »
JB - I know quite a few Texans from the oil industry and associated shipping companies in Houston and they are all intelligent and thoughtful (some are not exactly liberal); not even the most right-wing of them would even dream of altering the text books.  I am not doubting the severity of the change; just wondering where does the impetus come from?  Is this a populist movement or the actions of a ruling clique (hey maybe littlestone was onto something)?

I know we all tend to think that we ourselves are morally and intellectually incorrupt, but I dont think that this change could happen here in UK.  Maybe someone who teaches could confirm (damn I hope they can confirm).

Matthew

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/08/2010 16:02:45 »
You've all lost me. I go on holiday for a week and your all talking gobble-de-gook. Much as I like a good gobble, I could do without the gook.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/08/2010 22:38:57 »

:o     :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 19/08/2010 22:38:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login