The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How has medicine and healthcare benefitted our society?  (Read 2398 times)

cat_with_no_eyes

Other than the most obvious reasons, I would like to hear some radical thoughts. :)

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
How has medicine and healthcare benefitted our society?
« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2010 18:17:47 »
It depends upon your ethical framework (as I learned long ago in medical ethics class)

As I recall there are four main ones..

Libertarian: What lets people run around doing whatever they please as much as possible?... like shoot wolves from a helicopter or carry concealed revolvers around  (i.e. knuckle dragging Republican cretins)

Utilitarian:  What will advance the five year plan the most to glorify the democratic republic of Ruritania?

Egalitarian: [(health budget)/ (population) = yer health allowance] NB When you use up yer health allowance they offer you euthanasia or they leave you out on the moor for the wolves.

Humanitarian: You spend the money on whoever has the most tear-jerker story on the news last night.

I will add another framework..eological...How many TV addicts can the planet sustain?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2010 18:34:42 »
A slightly different slant is the Marxist view of healthcare. I don't know how deep you want to go or how much into social science of healthcare you are into, so I won't waffle on here. But have a Google for Marxist view of healthcare, it's really quite interesting and is useful to bring in as an argument against the benefit, or as just another slant.  :)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2010 01:33:56 »
(i.e. knuckle dragging Republican cretins)

Should we infer from this comment that all Republicans are knuckle dragging cretins, or that all knuckle dragging cretins must be Republicans?

« Last Edit: 16/08/2010 01:41:14 by Geezer »

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/08/2010 03:01:37 »
The situation is murky..the party appears to have sold out to the extreme crazies who used to be too ashamed to voice such obviously unAmerican opinions in public. Sometimes I expect them to don Ku Klux Klan robes and/or sing the Horst Wessel Lied in the streets. I believe the British term for such behavior is "common". You don't know the half of what I've seen and heard here in rural California lately.

I have friends who have lived here since infancy who are now in danger of being picked up on the street and dumped in Mexico because of those vicious demagogues. I didn't spend 29 months overseas to abide that disgusting excuse for "patriotism". You can walk into a restaurant in some places and people are openly (and legally) carrying loaded revolvers on their hip. What medical implications to you think derive from such mass delusions as that?

I mentioned these people in connection with "Libertarian ethics" which they eat up with a spoon. Open carry rights are central to that as well as abolishing government health care. Would you like to see that seriously and openly proposed in England's green and pleasant land by one of the major parties?
« Last Edit: 16/08/2010 05:03:34 by MartinTheK »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 16/08/2010 03:01:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums