The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is this car a "wind-up" ?.  (Read 1337 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is this car a "wind-up" ?.
« on: 20/08/2010 15:48:10 »
feature=player_embedded 
« Last Edit: 20/08/2010 19:32:30 by RD »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is this car a "wind-up" ?.
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2010 16:50:40 »
It calls itself a PHEV which means  plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.  This one is obviously pure human powered - I am not at all sure about the one in your (much more fun looking) clip.  If there is any transfer of power via electric motor this would strike me as introducing un-necessary inefficiencies. 

One part of the company's website has a human power generator - two man to provide 1 kw. iirc according to the latest NS podcast the great cyclists of the tour de france might maintain 400w  - I think a few pinches of salt are necessary to deal with some of the claims.  With another analogy to cycling; a decent bike weighs 10-15kg, this car weighs 20-30 times that - I know which would be easier to get going.  I have ridden a six man bike on holiday with family, that was fast eventually, dangerous, and wicked fun; but the substantial extra weight meant that it was very hard to get off the line.   

The position of the rowers/riders is like a bad rowing machine - and those I knew who rowed at University said any hint of bad technique would knacker your back for the rest of your life. 

Good fun though - Matthew

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2010 17:01:14 »
I think the video I linked to is a bit misleading: I doubt the battery is flat prior to the guy winding it up just before taking off,
 i.e. the vehicle is not being exclusively powered by its passengers, but it could be misinterpreted that it was.

( see human powered gym )
« Last Edit: 20/08/2010 17:13:07 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2010 17:01:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length