The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is the world waiting for disaster, before totally using an alternative?  (Read 3757 times)

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Why hasn't the World already have plunged totally into the conversion of using H2 as an alternative source of fuel?
Is it the politics for the invested rich, to remain Status Quo and not let go, sucking the financial life out of the public?
Is it that a holdup perpetrator does not need to wear leathers? A suit and tie works best!

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
Well in the terms of using hydrogen powered cars they are slowly arising but new technologies take time to get off the ground. Also the engineering challenge and cost is extremely high in terms of H powered cars. A significant amount of platinum is also required and the technology isn't yet fullproof or as reliable as were led to believe. Although I do agree with your sentiment, more money needs to be invested in research and development. Unfortunately as its so costly and time consuming no one country is willing to take the risk as they can just wait for someone else to test it then they can follow suit in my oppinion.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The chief reason for not using Hydrogen as a fuel for cars cars is that there is no ready source of it, apart from the difficulty of storing and distributing it.
Hydrogen can be extracted from water by the expenditure of large amounts of energy but the overall balance of CO2 reduction is negative.
Fuel cells require very pure H2 and although IC engines have been modified to burn it there is little gain and high cost.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"Why hasn't the World already have plunged totally into the conversion of using H2 as an alternative source of fuel?"

Because it isn't one.

There are no hydrogen mines.

Let's be absolutely clear about this; hydrogen is not an energy source unless you can sort out nuclear fusion.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
"Why hasn't the World already have plunged totally into the conversion of using H2 as an alternative source of fuel?"

Because it isn't one.

There are no hydrogen mines.

Let's be absolutely clear about this; hydrogen is not an energy source unless you can sort out nuclear fusion.

Clear we shall be thank you Borechem.
"any thing or place from which something comes, arises, or is obtained; origin: Which foods are sources of calcium?"
 Nuclear fusion no way, there is materials there that needs refining also.
Yep your right ok, instead replace all the previous <alternative source> with "alternative fuel."

Hydrogen can be used as a fuel and the storage of that fuel is a place or the source.
 The fuel comes from a storage source.

"Source" a play of words, gathering, storing and then using comes from a source.
Extraction, distilling, electrolysis, thermoconvection... What fuel is there other then coal that needs not to be converted for its intended use we are addressing?...

You mine coal, crush it if needed and burn it then get rid of the ashes and clunkers
« Last Edit: 21/08/2010 20:11:48 by tommya300 »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

If we could get nuclear fusion to produce energy, we might be better off using the energy to synthesize hydrocarbon fuels rather than trying to run vehicles on pure hydrogen.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Tommy,

I think BC is pointing out that hydrogen actually is the source of energy during nuclear fusion.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Tommy,

I think BC is pointing out that hydrogen actually is the source of energy during nuclear fusion.

OK I was just wondering that in order to get to that point of an accessable source (nuclear Fusion) reactions, doesn't the material need to be processed in someway? Humanly Accessable.
Mother Nature has it within the Sun but Let us be reasonable that is not accessable hydrogen.
\I know I used the word source when I should of said fuel, I ageed with him.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am puzzled why when energy sources are discussed people ignore nuclear fission, I am running my computer on nuclear generated electricity piped under the channel from France that runs most everything on it and exports some to the UK

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Maybe some focus on the transportation aspect.
Sure like to have a fussion reactor to run my vehicle and would beable to pass most of the fuel stations in the travels for at least a decade. As long as I never suffer from radiation poisoning.

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
BC, you mentioned that hydrogen isn't an energy source? Well then how does the energy get extracted for motion in H cars? Isn't it the reaction of hydrogen to convert its chemical energy into mechanical energy?

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
BC, you mentioned that hydrogen isn't an energy source? Well then how does the energy get extracted for motion in H cars? Isn't it the reaction of hydrogen to convert its chemical energy into mechanical energy?

Technically "Source" "any thing or place from which something comes, arises, or is obtained. (dictionary.com)

Hydrogen is addressed here and considered a fuel. Where and how it is stored can be consided a source, in a practical sense.
The play on wording just diverted the inquirey of the primary question.
My appology for my limit on articulation BC.

I used the word source as I was discribing fuel. BC was just keeping my post in check. I feel alive when this happens.

When the words were used, "Hydrogen can not be mined," true.
 I had to ask BC, what fuel can be mined and not needed to be refined, I meant chemically, for its intended use.
All I can think of is "Coal", all it needs to be is crushed and transported. I figured BC would know. I shrug my shoulders

I was looking at, Hydrogen as being the source of potential energy maybe that is why I used the words source instead of fuel.

« Last Edit: 22/08/2010 10:42:35 by tommya300 »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

Murchie,

As BC pointed out, there are no hydrogen mines. Hydrogen has to be manufactured by processing something that is a compond of hydrogen to release the pure hydrogen. This processing consumes a larger amount of energy than the manufactured hydrogen is able to produce.

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
yea but does hydrogen not exist in its natural gaseous form in space? In hydrogen clouds? (obviously uneconomical to harvest) but still in its original form and hence an energy source!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Of course a tiny amount of Hydrogen exists in the Earths atmosphere but the energy cost in harvesting It far exceeds the energy that can be derived from it.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Why hasn't the World already...

When did the people or governments of the Earth ever act rationally?

I must have missed that little episode.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Why hasn't the World already...

When did the people or governments of the Earth ever act rationally?

I must have missed that little episode.
HAHA yea when did the Governments act rationally,  the vast majority of people hold their hand on there bleep, while the more powerful Governments steps up and checks the void with both hands behind their back.
When I was young, I was told necessity is the Mother of invention.
As I got older, I see that the driving force to present of deny the success of these inventions mainly ride on greed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length