The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is singularity prior to the, big bang, a figure of speech??  (Read 1579 times)

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Is singularity prior to the, big bang, a figure of speech?

Doesn't a black hole expel plasma from its poles?
Yet it is said to have a singularity?

Can it be an attempt to reach a singularity, and the plasma jets are like squeezing a banana out of its skin, imagining there is no end to the banana’s core?   

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
Is singularity prior to the, big bang, a figure of speech??
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2010 20:30:58 »
I don't pretend to know a lot about this, as cosmology is a really complex subject although I tend to find the word singularity is used when its origins can't be explained, I believe at the center of a black hole is a singularity as we don't know whats going on there (only theories)

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2010 23:29:14 »
A true singularity is a mathematical and not a physical concept and cannot exist as a physical reality.  It is just a way of saying we don't really understand it yet.

The expulsion of material from the region of the poles of a black hole that is active and accreting material is material that is not falling into the hole.  It is part of the way that other material falling into a black hole can lose angular momentum in order to get into it.  Most people (including many scientists do not realise that it is in  fact very difficult to fall into a black hole because they are so tiny that most things have far too much angular momentum with respect to the hole.

Offline Murchie85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/08/2010 18:18:05 »
SoulSurfer that is good info about the angular momentum and glad you verified what I was trying to get at in that a singularity is generally associated with something we are unable to describe fully.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2010 22:22:04 »
Whether the BB singularity had zero size or not is open to debate.  Same applies for the hypothetical singularity at the center of Black Holes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2010 22:22:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums