The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What does Ozone really smell like?  (Read 32699 times)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What does Ozone really smell like?
« Reply #25 on: 31/08/2010 22:13:36 »
In your experience, to which other known smell would you compare the smell of ozone (if this is possible)?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31/08/2010 23:17:16 »
Many, if not most circuit boards are made from paper bonded with phenolic resins.

No they're not. Most are made from FR-4 which is a glass/epoxy laminate. Phenolic boards are now very uncommon.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01/09/2010 01:57:41 »
According to the font of all knowledge (Wikipedia)

"Most people can detect about 0.01 ppm of ozone in air where it has a very specific sharp odor somewhat resembling chlorine bleach."

The pong from my printer smells more like ammonia to me, but it might be ozone I'm smelling. The typical pong from electronic equipment seems a lot different to me, and some of it might be the secondary effects of oxidation caused by ozone as Tommy suggests.

Geezer from what I remember using laser printers, xerox machines/copiers, new and the different used/well broken in machines, the blueprint machine smell of ammonia. I smelled all that different new and used smell that came from the machines.
I do remember a few older used machines having a not so quite smell of a bleach. Something like freshly air  dried bed sheets right off the clothes line. But the smell was short lived and soon masked by a smell of warm plastic.
Can that maybe the smell of ozone?

I stumbled over this information as I was looking for, googled for,  small OZone generators.
This may help support some posts.

http://mattson.creighton.edu/Ozone/Part_28_Mini_Ozone_Gen.pdf

http://mattson.creighton.edu/Ozone/Ozone1.html
« Last Edit: 01/09/2010 02:17:39 by tommya300 »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01/09/2010 02:22:43 »
I stumbled over this information as I was looking for, googled for,  small OZone generators.
This may help support some posts.

http://mattson.creighton.edu/Ozone/Part_28_Mini_Ozone_Gen.pdf

http://mattson.creighton.edu/Ozone/Ozone1.html
Very interesting, thank you.

Offline hogied

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09/09/2010 21:28:08 »
I work at a water bottling plant where we ozonate water prior to bottling.  The fillers vent any undissolved ozone and it smells like chlorine, similar to how the air smells at a public indoor swimming pool.  If you cover the vent with your hand for a few seconds you'll smell like rancid dumpster.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10/09/2010 07:15:56 »
Ozone does smell rather like chlorine, but not quite the same.
I  have not noticed the smell near any low voltage electrical gear so think that any smell you spot if you do this "Take some electronic device like: portable stereo with cd reader, notebook pc, voice recorders, radio or any device which you are sure there is some (even small) component which operates at high voltage or that can create in some way, even very localized, high fields. Remove any battery/power unit from it, if you can, and let the device/s stay, open, for some time, better if you blow air in it, so that air inside the device is changed with new one; then try to smell the device' inside. Then put batteries in, close the device and let it operate for some minute. Then open it (maybe uncover the batteries' compartment) and try to smell it again. If you perceive a different smell, it's O3." will be due to something else- probably the equipment warming up a bit.
It smells like benzoquinone to me, and that's not the same as ozone.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/09/2010 13:58:21 »
Ozone does smell rather like chlorine, but not quite the same.
I  have not noticed the smell near any low voltage electrical gear so think that any smell you spot if you do this "Take some electronic device like: portable stereo with cd reader, notebook pc, voice recorders, radio or any device which you are sure there is some (even small) component which operates at high voltage or that can create in some way, even very localized, high fields. Remove any battery/power unit from it, if you can, and let the device/s stay, open, for some time, better if you blow air in it, so that air inside the device is changed with new one; then try to smell the device' inside. Then put batteries in, close the device and let it operate for some minute. Then open it (maybe uncover the batteries' compartment) and try to smell it again. If you perceive a different smell, it's O3." will be due to something else- probably the equipment warming up a bit.
It smells like benzoquinone to me, and that's not the same as ozone.

I resently purchased a combination convection/microwave oven, heavy little sucker.
I never thought that it has to season or breakin a bit. That this benzoquinone smell, is it this hot plastic material smell, of new appliance?
The smell reminds me of a plastic non electric toy when I was younger.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2010 14:00:16 by tommya300 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 10/09/2010 13:58:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length