The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I would love some help making a chemical that may prove very useful!  (Read 2316 times)

Offline hoppimike

• First timers
    • View Profile
Basically, there is this chemical called "s-equol" (here is some information about it, if it's useful - I also have a full document on how to create it newbielink:http://www.trc-canada.com/detail.php?CatNum=E593001 [nonactive] ) that I would love to create in fairly large amounts, as I think (through researching and looking through studies, etc) it has some significant implications for health and for the treatment of some conditions.

S-equol is actually made naturally in the bodies of about 30% of the world's population from soy, as they have the gut microflora to produce it. However, although it is possible with time and effort to become a natural "producer" of this chemical, I believe it is highly bioavailable when taken orally anyway, and would have very instant and useful results for people in this form.

With this in mind I would simply love the help of someone in making this chemical, and there is certainly a potential for selling this in the future although that is not why I have interest in this (financial gain is not the goal here really).

So yes erm, that's about it, I apologize if this thread is not in the correct place or anything, to be honest I just thought it would be more suited in the Chemistry area because it is still in the early stages of simply creating the chemical at a quality fit for human consumption at an affordable cost :)

Thanks so much everyone, I would very much appreciate any help,

Mike, UK :)
« Last Edit: 28/08/2010 19:52:49 by hoppimike »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I usually make some of it every time I burn wood in the fireplace. The problem is how to isolate it  ;D

Offline hoppimike

• First timers
    • View Profile
huh? lol

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Mike, 

No matter how you manufacture it you will need to run decades of tests before you would (or should) be allowed to sell a purified phyloestrogen on the open market.  this is basically a plant chemical that binds to certain estrogen receptors in the body and can effect estrogen reception/receptors and block other hormones.  this antagonism to certain steroidal hormones should allow it to have a beneficial effect on areas of health, but it could also have dramatic and harmful effects. just because it is naturally produced within the gut, does not mean that everyone is safe taking it orally, nor that those who do have it in their gut are necessarily beneficially affected by its presence.

there is a nice summary of the topic here and a huge body of work on the subject.  back to your question - as soya beans are one of the most common food crops in the world and a good source of equols, I would have thought purification would be a much easier route to take than manufacture.

Matthew

Offline hoppimike

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thing is soy foods themselves don't actually contain s-equol, only daidzein, which can be metabolized or otherwise converted into s-equol.

It is true that it takes a long time to bring a supplement to the point of sale but to be honest that isn't really the initial goal for me anyway. The initial goal.. is to ensure it is bioavailable orally. And then to ensure it actually works! That will be the biggest hurdle - actually releasing it in any way would be nice but like I say I personally have little in the way of financial interest - I mainly want to make sure the stuff actually WORKS :)

Would anyone be interested in helping me? I would appreciate it very much :)

Offline hoppimike

• First timers
    • View Profile
I would be willing to pay by the way :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums