The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health
Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?
« on: 30/08/2010 00:46:21 »
There are a few answers on the internet but they are contradictory to each other.

Does anybody know for sure the answer on the question: “Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice”?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 12:49:41 by GBSB »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2010 10:38:04 »
Presumably you are asking this because your last postings about it were locked.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=8659.msg318098#msg318098

Anyway, the answer is yes.
so you can shut up about it now.

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2010 17:49:19 »
Presumably you are asking this because your last postings about it were locked.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=8659.msg318098#msg318098

Anyway, the answer is yes.
so you can shut up about it now.

Your rude behaviour shouldn’t be tolerated on “The Naked Science Forum”.

Bay the way, the "YouTube" is not reliable evidence.
I clearly stated in my first post in this topic that on the internet are a few answers that contradict to each other.

I was looking on answer from someone who knows plenty about guinea pigs and/or some reliable evidence that can give satisfactory answer on the question: “Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?”

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2010 19:35:45 »
I have a feeling that my behaviour will be tolerated.

Reopening a subject that was locked because it was going nowhere fast is also rude. I think it might be a breach of the rules too. Would you like me to check?

Youtube isn't that reliable.  I could use a laugh; do you really honestly think that someone out there has taken the trouble to fake a video of a guinea pig eating a bit of lemon?
It is, incidentally apparent to me that the person who made the video does know about guinea pigs.

If you won't believe video evidence of a guinea pig eating some lemon, just what will it take to convince you?
Are you after a sworn statement from God or what?

Don't you realise how easy it would be for me to make up a new identity and claim to be the chairman of the guinea pig breeders' association? I could turn up and say anything I wanted.

How reliable could your proof be?
One answer would be a report in a respected, peer reviewed journal.
OK, here's one.
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=4661424&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0022172400033611
However, you have said, on the basis of one unsupported comment on wiki answers or some such, that you don't believe in this research.
So, seriously;
you ignore video evidence;
you ignore peer-reviewed journals;
what will it take?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/08/2010 22:44:36 »
  what will it take?

Therapy?

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2010 23:47:28 »
Youtube isn't that reliable.  I could use a laugh; do you really honestly think that someone out there has taken the trouble to fake a video of a guinea pig eating a bit of lemon?
It is, incidentally apparent to me that the person who made the video does know about guinea pigs.

If you won't believe video evidence of a guinea pig eating some lemon, just what will it take to convince you?
Are you after a sworn statement from God or what?

It is very likely that “someone out there has taken the trouble to fake a video of a guinea pig eating a bit of lemon” because the video (
) is posted on YouTube on August 16 2010.

I have posted on 02/08/2010 on this forum the post related to guinea pigs ability to drink lemon juice.

It is a ground to think that is a possibility that someone “has taken the trouble to fake a video of a guinea pig eating a bit of lemon”

In the end, the question is not; “Can guinea pigs eat lemon?”

The question that I have asked is; “Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?”

I have said in my previous post; I am looking for an answer from someone who knows plenty about guinea pigs and/or some reliable evidence that can give satisfactory answer on the question: “Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?"

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/08/2010 06:57:02 »
Variola is right. How long have you suffered from these delusions?
The idea that someone has faked a video of a guinea pig eating a bit of lemon just to upset you is evidence of paranoia.

The idea that there's a material difference between their ability to eat lemon or to drink its juice is a mark of desperation.

You have been given two clear bits of evidence, yet you choose to ignore them.
This really is even more absurd than some of  your previous ideas.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2010 14:03:22 »
So, the question was asked, and resultantly answered with a yes.  Is there any reason to keep this thread open?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31/08/2010 14:07:58 »
So, the question was asked, and resultantly answered with a yes.  Is there any reason to keep this thread open?

you mean apart from the amusement value of watching BC toy with his prey?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31/08/2010 19:00:54 »
  I have said in my previous post; I am looking for an answer from someone who knows plenty about guinea pigs and/or some reliable evidence that can give satisfactory answer on the question: “Can guinea pigs drink lemon juice?"

Have you tried something radical, like a guinea pig breeders forum?  ::)
Instead of coming on a science forum and trying to prove your half-assed theory that Vit C is not linked to scurvy.

Why don't you go off and find out whether apes can drink lemon juice? Or why rats still eat citrus fruits?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31/08/2010 20:07:56 »

A couple of thoughts.
If someone asked "is it possible to travel faster than light and someone then said "no" and the original poster said "why not?" would it be reasonable to close the thread just because the question had been answered?

Personally, I think not because there would still be a question "pending" as it were.

GBSB hasn't replied to some of the other points raised so I think the thread should be allowed to run for a while; at least until it becomes clear that he has no intention of relying to any questions.

also,
I know at least one (individual) ape that can drink lemon juice.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there's no way he can prove this in a way that will meet the standards required by GBSB.

In the meantime, here's a video of a guinea pig eating a lime.
It may be of questionable relevance, it might be on the borders of animal cruelty; but the guinea pig is cute.

This, on the other hand, is a video of a guinea pig eating a lemon.

Both those videos are more than a year old.
I predict a reply saying  that;
Technology of video recording back then wasn't able to record a guinea pig.
Radiation from the Van Allen belts would have killed any guinea pig that tried to eat a lemon.
You can see the flag moving in the background, so this picture was clearly faked.
The shadows point the wrong way- not all of them are consistent so they must have used multiple light sources- Only someone like NASA would have had the technology to do this and, since they don't care about guinea pigs, it must be faked.
The presence of stars in the background...
OK you get the idea.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31/08/2010 20:50:12 »
also,
I know at least one (individual) ape that can drink lemon juice.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there's no way he can prove this in a way that will meet the standards required by GBSB.

Well quite. Simians can and do eat citrus fruits containing Vit C, it is not restricted to lemon juice so quite why GSBS sticks to that I have no idea. Not sure why guinea pigs were singled out either.
Equally, Rats who synthesize their own Vit C still can, and do eat some citrus fruits and veg containing Vit C.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01/09/2010 07:05:36 »
GBSB doesn't want to believe that lemon juice cures scurvy. The work was done on guinea pigs because, like us,  they lack the ability to make their own vit C.
One of the classic experiments that shows that it does (there are lots of others) is detailed in the paper I cited.
On some website somewhere he found an assertion that guinea pigs cant drink lemon juice.
On that rather frail basis he concludes that the whole idea is a fake; the paper is "impossible" because it talks of giving lemon juice to guinea pigs.

Any evidence supporting the idea that vit C cures scurvy is, in his mind, wrong.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01/09/2010 07:40:14 »
Would they eat onions instead?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 01/09/2010 07:40:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums