The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are some animals more sensitive?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Are some animals more sensitive?
« on: 01/09/2010 06:32:00 »
Recently, on our way back to the Frozen Northern Wastelands after a jaunt to California, we stopped in a place near the Arizona/Nevada border to refuel. Mrs G took our dogs (Shona the Scottie, and Torri the Cairn terrier) for a whizz while I was pumping the gas.

Suddenly there was an incredible commotion. I've never really heard a dog screaming before, but that's what Shona was doing. What a racket! Everyone turned to look for the evil so-and-so that was apparently punishing some poor, helpless animal.

It took Mrs G a moment to realize that Shona was hollering because the asphalt was too hot for her paws (it was around 105F at the time.) She lifted Shona up and bundled her back into the truck before anyone had a chance to call the animal cruelty people.

Shona was a bit traumatized by the experience as she was quite reluctant to get out of the truck at the next stop. The strange thing is, Torri didn't complain one bit!

So, is this a difference in pain threshholds, or is there some other reason for the different behaviour? (BTW, Torri is a male.)

« Last Edit: 01/09/2010 06:34:06 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2010 08:27:56 »
Well, I suppose there could be different levels of tolerance between and even within species. I'll swear my Mrs has hands made of asbestos. Of course it could also be explained by the phrase 'No sense, no feeling'.

Hope she doesn't see this

Sand lizards can tolerate the extremely high temperatures sand can reach in the desert sun, but even they lift their feet to cool them.

It might be an idea to take a look at your dogs paws to see if there is a difference in the amount of fur between the pads. More fur might give better insulation.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2010 23:58:28 »
Thanks Don.

I checked. There does not seem to be much difference between the amount of fur between their pads. That's probably not surprising as Scotties and Cairns have a lot in common.

However, the Cairn was quite happy to let me examine his pads whereas the Scottie is very reluctant to let me look at them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2010 23:58:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums