The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Mom's flu remedy have any merit ?  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Lor

• View Profile
Does Mom's flu remedy have any merit ?
« on: 05/09/2010 06:33:20 »
An old family remedy for the flu was dry toast and appleauce, we were always given this as children. a few years back i heard that it was tested and found that the applesauce and dry toast had a reaction in your stomach that aided in the increase of an enzyme that helped fight the virus. do you think theres anything to it?
« Last Edit: 05/09/2010 06:36:58 by jazzderry »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2010 01:02:37 »
If there is, market it and make your fortune.

I've oft heard it quoted that a 'flu'* will take a week to cure with medication and seven days without.

*'flu' is oft misquoted for a common cold. Influenza is nasty and not at all like a cold.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2011 10:03:34 »
I USED to get the Flu around once a year. Then when I was 62 and in Sept. of 1997, I started drinking an ounce of Noni Juice every day and have not had the flu once in the last 12 years.

When did you retire?

There is a lot to be said for a healthy diet and lifestyle.  However, there may also be a point in your mid-60's when you have less contact with people carrying the virus.

Also, keep in mind that the flu can be more serious to people in their 70's & 80's than for younger people, so carefully consider the benefits of getting the flu vaccine.

As far as "Mom's Special Remedy"..  it is probably best to eat a little while you are ill...  so whatever makes you comfortable and provides some nutrition is probably good.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2011 10:03:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums