The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is LASIK correction of vision?  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Adele

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is LASIK correction of vision?
« on: 22/08/2003 14:14:01 »
Hi,
I'm due to have LASIK surgery 19th Sept but the research I've been doing on the web has really put me off.
My prescription is -
Rt  -4.5  cyl: -2  axis : 140
Lft  -3.5  cyl:-1.5  axis : 60
I have thick cornea's but my pupil diameter is 7 mm and I have poor tear production

I was only offered LASIK at my consultation and was warned that I'm in the medium to high risk category for dry eyes afterwards and haloing/star bursts.
I've since spoke to one of the nurses at the clinic who mentioned I might be more suited for LASEK surgery, which wasn't even mentioned to me at the consultation.

The more I'm reading about both procedures the more scared and confused I'm getting! You only get one pair of eyes and I would hate to make a horrible mistake.

Has anyone else had surgery with a similar prescription?  Advice and comments would be most welcome.

« Last Edit: 24/05/2010 07:59:06 by chris »

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
Re: What is LASIK correction of vision?
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2003 15:51:07 »
Hi Adele

have you read Dalya Rosner's article about LASIK on this website ? There are a few links to some helpful resources which you could check out.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/dalyacolumn4.htm/

If this doesn't help, please come back to us.

TNS
« Last Edit: 13/10/2008 08:40:14 by chris »

Offline aidforus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/01/2008 21:19:16 »
Lasik is SAFE

hi there, i want to share the article that i read early about Lasik. After ten years of clinical trials the FDA approved LASIK surgery technology in 1995.  Complications affecting vision after laser eye surgery are now reported at a rate of less than one percent. In fact, LASIK carries less risk of infection than wearing contacts.

Corrective eye surgery is extremely safe when performed by qualified doctors. Like any surgical procedure, there can be complications, but the complication rate is extremely low.  Results of clinical studies indicate the chances of having a vision-reducing complication are less than 1%, and, there have been no reported cases of blindness resulting from laser eye treatment in the United States.

*** MOD EDIT - Please note that we have removed several links from this post that were pointing to a specific website offering LASIK. This person may therefore have a conflict of interest in this area and this information may not be unbiased. ***

« Last Edit: 13/10/2008 08:42:49 by chris »

Offline Manny2009

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2009 02:38:40 »
Lasik is not safe!

I had Lasik Surgery - before surgery, no major eye issues - seems like I've ended up with almost all of the possible side effects they list in their patient informed consent form plus a number of extras - after surgery here's a list of my problems:

-20/20 vision does not mean better vision, takes much longer to focus now, visual acuity far less than before surgery, night vision problems, contrast sensitivity far less, starburst
-claim that complication rates are only 1-5 percent however I've found out that many studies find that over 50% of patients claim to have some type of problem after surgery
-constant dry eye pain
-can hardly sleep because of eye pain
-fell into a major depression after my Lasik surgery due to numerous issues
-don't blink often enough
-right eye is always strained and puffy
-no more social life, can't stand the eye pain when out at social gatherings
-missed numerous days of work due to unbearable eye pain
-large psychologist bill
-large bill for the vitamins and other supplements needed to control my dry eye symptoms, although its hard to control
-can no longer play contact sports because the corneal flap created during the operation may be disslodged giving me even worse vision
-almost incapable of functioning on any type of usefull manner at work
-constant headaches and eye strain
-feeling terrible about my lasik decision,

lasik sucks

Mod edit - removed practice name
« Last Edit: 30/09/2009 17:19:41 by BenV »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/02/2009 02:48:58 »
Hmmmm... sounds as if you don't like Lasik. :)

Offline Manny2009

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/02/2009 06:30:46 »
Yes, thats right, I hate Lasik and what its done to me. Biggest mistake I ever made. Docs have had me on 4 different prescription meds the past couple months for lasik related eye issues. Damn eye issues are driving me nuts!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/02/2009 06:44:19 »
Well I feel for you Manny2009...

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/02/2009 06:45:41 »
So why did you decide to have surgery in the first place?

Offline Laser Surgeon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2010 01:47:14 »
I would recommend anyone going to have surgery to be aware of the risks.
Even some people suffer from depression afterwards. Sometimes in life we
need to not do things because the changes will be to dramatic for us.

Others it is not as difficult to have these changes introduced to our lives i am sorry to hear your disappointment with regards to the operation. For those interested in reading some of the risks and whether laser eye surgery is the right choice for you.

Offline Andrya

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2010 02:50:38 »
wavefront lasik is an outpatient surgical procedure and will take 10 to 15 minutes for each eye.
The only anesthetic used is an eye drop that numbs the surface of the eye. The procedure is done with the person awake. LASIK may be done on one or both eyes during the same session.

Mod edit - spammy link removed.
« Last Edit: 19/06/2010 09:21:31 by BenV »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2010 02:50:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums