The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Universe inside a universe( PLEASE REPOND!)  (Read 9607 times)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Universe inside a universe( PLEASE REPOND!)
« on: 30/01/2006 14:24:55 »
ok this one is for all u top notch scientists.:)

Could our entire universe be part of another universe? Ok say u look at saturns rings, all the little particles are part of the ring. Well could our universe be one of those paricles in an even bigger universe?
« Last Edit: 27/03/2006 00:22:31 by daveshorts »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Universe inside a universe( PLEASE REPOND!)
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2006 18:41:36 »
Yes I reckon it probably is but you cant ever find out.:D

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!
« Last Edit: 30/01/2006 18:42:24 by Soul Surfer »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2006 20:12:48 »
I agree with Ian....and I'm not even a top notch scientist !!

...I have sometimes wondered if we all existed in some petri dish !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/2006 17:28:13 »
Taking an "evolutionary philosophical" view of what the multiverse (the totality of everything) might be I feel quite strongly that what is known as the "perfect cosmological principle" must apply.  That is that it is pretty much the same all the time and the laws of physics have evolved from a vast range of possibilities to produce a reasonably stable recycling process in which structures form develop and die lasting as long as they possibly can and we happen to be inside one of the many "bubbles of spaceime" that exist in the multiverse.  There are strong suggestions that the structure may be fractal because we can see isolated objects (black holes) forming inside our own universe.

To answer your question explicitly. I do not think we are part of an atom in a giant's chairleg or a bit of the rings of Saturn as yiu suggest but i do I expect when we have worked it out our universe is in a black hole in someone else's universe. In the same way that we have lots of black holes in ours and so on without limit.  The great space that we see is not real but spun out of the energy during the formation of the "singularity" at the core of the hole and is therefore not going to impinge on anyone else's space ever.

I also think that we should be able to manage this without a full quantum theory of gravity.  That can come later :)

Gravity is an important force in our universe but an even more important "force" is angular momentum because it is this that ensures our universe exists for a long time bcause if it were not for angular momentum atoms. stars and everything would collapse on a timescale associated with the relavant electrical or gravitational forces.

Consider a particle approaching a mathematical point gravitational singularity  (if such a thing ever existed which I very much doubt) it would almost certainly posess some residual angular momentum with respect to this singularity and would attempt to orbit about it gradually increasing speed and gaining mass but the angular momentum must be conserved and the closer it gets to the singularity the faster it goes and the more energy it has without limit because the angular momentum must always be conserved and the smaller the distance from the singularity the more energy there must be to maintain the orbit.  Ths is clearly a silly situation and the mathematical singularity must become a rotating black hole (see view from a rotating black hole).

This then turns something mathematical with a nasty indfinity in it into something physical that starts to have some contact with reality.

God says so!
« Last Edit: 03/02/2006 17:41:10 by Soul Surfer »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2006 19:15:33 »
Interseting, but i see a fault in your info. If we were in a black hole we would get crushed by it's immense gravity. trust me i know my black holes!

- Big T

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2006 19:38:57 »
Sorry you are following conventional wisdom and not thinking a bit outside the box.  I am not talking silly physics here just taking the model gently towards its conclusion and not jumping ahead to the end.  Start by remembering that whats inside the event horizon when it forms is just like what was inside it before it formed and work with that slowly step by step and see what you get.

God says so!

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2006 14:32:39 »
well then lets say i think "out of the box" for a bit. say we do live in a black hole.Black holes are collapsed stars. Yet all the galaxies are red shifted or moving away. the black holes that we do know of don't grow or shirink. So how do you explain the red-shift theory?

- Big T

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/02/2006 19:15:29 »
Its all explained and under discussion in "the view from a ring singularity".

God says so!

Offline nwagner

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2006 21:02:45 »
I could see our universe existing as an atom with other universes to make up a larger dimention or universe, just as if all the atoms that make up our universe are individual universes them selves in an infinate pattern

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/02/2006 19:49:38 »
its a popular idea thats been around for ages but I think that it's unlikely however look in this week's new scientist for one take on our universe inside a 5D black hole

God says so!

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #10 on: 13/02/2006 20:10:21 »
tony have you been watching men in black?

"Defender of the Sea"

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14/02/2006 14:21:15 »
nah

- Big T

Offline BigBen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/02/2006 14:40:18 »
Big T seems intent on disagreeing

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/09/2007 17:06:49 »
What is universe?

Offline alansm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13/01/2009 18:58:54 »
Could our entire universe be part of another universe?
Good theory...
If we (our universe) were already within a black hole (singularity) that might explain a lot.
Eg: the apparent accelerating expansion of our universe could actually be an affect of us shrinking within an ever increasing black hole. Every way we look would be towards the event horizon from the inside.
Hidden dark matter? Tons of the stuff & increasing by the second.
Why weren’t we crushed? Perhaps we were!

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18/01/2009 21:44:17 »

Could our entire universe be part of another universe? Ok say u look at saturns rings, all the little particles are part of the ring. Well could our universe be one of those paricles in an even bigger universe?<font size="6"></font id="size6">

In my dot-wave theory, prior to the universe before time, we had two opposite universes one at plus infinity and one at minus infinity. they attracted shrunk to produce our multi-lightspeed universe. In the end we are a part of an infinite series of universes which are separated by distance.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 18/01/2009 21:44:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length