The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do we need to sleep?  (Read 7667 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« on: 21/09/2010 16:21:21 »
Please elaborate upon explanation. Thanks!

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2010 21:12:36 »
A few years ago I wanted to make some fast money and get back to Galicia. I signed on in a small hospital in rural California that hadn't any business being open anymore. The head nurse who interviewed me told me she was  desperate for nursing staff because she had been working double shifts for several months. She was taking some wonderful (it says here) new drug called "Provigil" that the Army was using in Iraq that didn't have the deletrious side effects of amphetamines but let you stay awake. I signed on for a three month stint and she continued to double shift. Times was hard.

And so a month passed. I came on duty and learned that she had collapsed with a stroke and was now on life support.

So the reason you need sleep is so that your family doesn't have to sit around waiting for your daughter to fly in from Arkansas before they turn off your ventilator.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2010 08:49:04 »
Quite right you are.

Let's let you cover 16 hour shifts on a med-surg floor for months and then have a look at your health. Think it might just run your blood pressure up a tad?

Naw...just look it up in the wikipedia when you're sure that the job is beating you to death and convince yourself it must be a logical fallacy. Go on. You can get a doc somewhere to let you have a script for Provigil. You know it must be perfectly safe because it's being used by the US Armed Forces (just like agent orange).

And then if sleep deprivation should lead you to step in front of a bus by some odd coincidence - as they load you into the meat wagon just tell them, 'post hoc, propter hoc' and they will surely let you out at the next light with a jolly laugh because -ipso facto- you're a logician.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #4 on: 22/09/2010 09:20:48 »
Some geezer (no, not our Geezer) in Elizabethan times reckoned it was perchance to dream.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #5 on: 22/09/2010 19:18:33 »
Martin, a couple of points about the "science".
Not all people who work 16 hour shifts  have strokes.
Not all people who have strokes worked 16 hour shifts.

(and, in reply to the pointless bit about agent orange, the US army also use guns which are known to be quite hazardous.)

"And then if sleep deprivation should lead you to step in front of a bus by some odd coincidence"
The word "lead" there is an implication of causation in that sentence and so it wouldn't be an odd coincidence.

There is, of course, a correlation between lack of sleep and a whole bunch of health problems.
However, pointing out that, "without sleep, bad things happen" is just another way of saying that we need to sleep.
So your answer to the question "why do we need to sleep" is, in effect "Because we need to sleep".
Thanks for that.
I await, with amusement, a reply pointing out that because I'm English I am wrong in some way or other.

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #6 on: 22/09/2010 19:49:56 »
I neither know or care about what the sleep needs of particular segments of Britain's population may be. If you can stay awake indefinitely, so what?

In this forum the readers may see the information displayed and chose for themselves. If they take away the opinion that proper rest is not essential to their health- well, that's just one less TV fan in 2020.

Now here's an interesting concept - associative risk.

Chronic sleep deprivation is an associative risk for stroke.

Walking in the rain and getting chilled won't cause pneumonia,per se -  but it is an associative risk for it. Being an alcoholic won't cause you to lose your teeth per se - but it is an associative risk for having them knocked out.

And if you are chronically sleep deprived you set your self up with an associative risk for lot's of problems...including a stroke (unless, apparently, you have been to a British University and now know better)
« Last Edit: 22/09/2010 20:21:05 by MartinTheK »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #7 on: 22/09/2010 21:00:34 »
I neither know or care ...

(hu-hum, *in best English accent*) I think you'll find that should be 'I neither know nor care', old chap ;D

As a serious question though, do you know of any studies linking Chronic sleep deprivation with an increased risk for strokes?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #8 on: 23/09/2010 07:08:43 »
Martin, you seem to have missed this bit of my last post.
"There is, of course, a correlation between lack of sleep and a whole bunch of health problems.
However, pointing out that, "without sleep, bad things happen" is just another way of saying that we need to sleep.
So your answer to the question "why do we need to sleep" is, in effect "Because we need to sleep".
Thanks for that."
That correlation is the associative risk of which you talk.

Offline granpa

• View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #9 on: 24/09/2010 00:17:21 »
we need to dream because reality isnt our natural habitat.
From time to time we need to return 'home' to recharge.

Offline kennyjoyy

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2010 09:19:00 »
Sleep gives your body a rest and allows it to prepare for the next day. It's like giving your body a mini-vacation. Sleep also gives your brain a chance to sort things out. Skipping one night's sleep makes a person cranky and clumsy, he amount of sleep a person needs depends on his or her age.
« Last Edit: 25/09/2010 09:21:34 by kennyjoyy »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #11 on: 25/09/2010 09:56:28 »
There are many theories on 'why' we need sleep.

I'm not sure which one is accurate Perhaps they all have an element of truth.. but I don't doubt that we *need* it.

There's a reason why sleep deprivation is the first tool in interrogation techniques. Our defences seem to melt if we haven't had much sleep.

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #12 on: 25/09/2010 10:16:38 »
Sleeping is good, but at time you oversleep and that makes it 'no good' so how can we prevent this?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #13 on: 26/09/2010 10:24:00 »
Sleeping is good, but at time you oversleep and that makes it 'no good' so how can we prevent this?

Something like this
http://onlineclock.net/
perhaps?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #14 on: 26/09/2010 12:00:15 »

Something like this
perhaps?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #15 on: 26/09/2010 15:33:38 »

Something like this
perhaps?

Well, it is possible, but the thing is I might not have my computer on while I'm asleep. Hence, I am looking for a solution such that does not require any usage of electronic gadgets (I sleep through the time when my alarm was ringing). Any advice here?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #16 on: 27/09/2010 00:43:28 »

drink fifteen glasses of water before you go to bed...

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #17 on: 27/09/2010 02:15:50 »

And 80mG of Furosemide

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #18 on: 27/09/2010 11:00:44 »

Fifteen glasses? Won't we get bloated? That is something interesting... I doubt that I can even survive the sixth glass. Is there any better and more feasible method?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #19 on: 28/09/2010 00:37:53 »

Ok  15 glasses might be over kill. Maybe just seven.

I tried to search for an online ref but I don't have the time for an extensive research. It is, allegedly, an American Indian technique to help you rise early for a hunt. I'm sure you can adapt it to modern day life.

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #20 on: 28/09/2010 10:53:47 »

Ok  15 glasses might be over kill. Maybe just seven.

I tried to search for an online ref but I don't have the time for an extensive research. It is, allegedly, an American Indian technique to help you rise early for a hunt. I'm sure you can adapt it to modern day life.

Wow! That is sure interesting, but won't drinking too many glasses of water make you bloated and hence, you can't even sleep? (OR have a good night's rest)

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why do we need to sleep?
« Reply #20 on: 28/09/2010 10:53:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums