The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are UFOs real?  (Read 29349 times)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are UFOs real?
« on: 30/01/2006 14:46:40 »
Does any one besides me belive they are real?

(for those of u who dont i am going to laugh my head off at u when they come in the near future):D

- Big T
« Last Edit: 31/01/2012 17:42:32 by chris »

another_someone

Re: U.F.O's
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2006 15:19:38 »
Unidentified Flying Objects are real, but the fact that they are unidentified means we do not know what they are, but that does not mean they are unreal.
« Last Edit: 30/01/2006 15:21:03 by another_someone »

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2006 20:04:32 »
of course they are real,it gets on my nerves when people say they dont beleive in UFOs.the simple fact is when you say ufo,people immediately assume exta-terrestrial,NO its just an object,flying,and un-identified,if the other guys turn up,we will all know in a very short space of time,independenceday got it about right.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2006 20:06:40 »
Always after a curry I do a UFO in the loo !!

I have no doubt that Alien spacecraft exist...can't believe that in the entire cosmos it's just us that are capable of spaceflight.

Because of the timescale of things it's possible (probable) that there have been many space bearing civilisations before we came along...and I am sure they are out there somewhere.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2006 22:45:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Always after a curry I do a UFO in the loo !!

I have no doubt that Alien spacecraft exist...can't believe that in the entire cosmos it's just us that are capable of spaceflight.

Because of the timescale of things it's possible (probable) that there have been many space bearing civilisations before we came along...and I am sure they are out there somewhere.

To say that we have the capability to travel to our moon, and send unmanned spacecraft to periphery of our solar system, scarcely amounts to space travel, on the scale of interstellar, let alone inter galactic, space travel.

Whether or not there are others in the universe who can leave the surface of their planet, but that is very different from assuming from assuming someone out there has the capability to leave their own planet and reach our planet.

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2006 00:07:34 »
It would be pure arrogance on our part to beleive we are the only life in the universe,but if a race has the capability to travel across the vast distances of space,they are not going to come here just to say hi and be nice,they will enslave us,eat us or just eradicate us from what will very quickly become their planet.
I know it sounds a bit grim,but what are the chances of us meeting a race of nice and lovey dovey aliens,cat in hells chance i think.

every village has one !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/01/2006 01:10:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

To say that we have the capability to travel to our moon, and send unmanned spacecraft to periphery of our solar system, scarcely amounts to space travel, on the scale of interstellar, let alone inter galactic, space travel.

I was only generalising...besides...yes, it is space travel.

You misunderstood ... I was not citing our capabilities as an example of another space bearing civilisations capabilities...I was , as mentioned, generalising......I am sure there are others out there who enjoy space travel...be it to their local moon, or galaxy hopping !!

« Last Edit: 31/01/2006 03:54:10 by neilep »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/01/2006 16:04:38 »
Ok the question i mean is could aliens be real and are they amoung us?

- Big T

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31/01/2006 17:34:48 »
Well, I for one believe in alien civilisations from other planets...and I would not be surprised if they have been amongst us...I would be astonished but would be quck to accept it....I mean look at UKMICKY !!!!...enuff said !!....:D

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #9 on: 01/02/2006 03:06:39 »

Damn you Neil.. how could you. you promised, it was a secret. It just goes to show, you should never trust a man who's jealous.

It's not my fault my ships bigger than yours:)

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 01/02/2006 03:07:33 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/02/2006 03:13:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Damn you Neil.. how could you. you promised, it was a secret. It just goes to show, you should never trust a man who's jealous.

It's not my fault my ships bigger than yours:)

:D...true....but yours is called The Titanic !! :D

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/02/2006 14:23:20 »
Bit of topic but okay

- Big T

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01/02/2006 15:55:22 »
Sorry Tony...it was off topic a bit.

Well People...what is your stance on other world people/aliens/things ?

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2006 23:54:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by tony6789

OK, UFO's and aliens are slightly different things.

What I mean is that a UFO is merely a flying object maybe an alien flying object but it's up there, not down here.

An alien amongst us is something down here, however it got here.

Even if extraterrestrial aliens were to exist, and even if they could somehow travel the vast distances from their home planet, it would seem incredibly unlikely that they would look anything like us.

Could one of the life forms that exist on this planet have originated on another planet it is theoretically possible (whether plausible is another matter).  The more primitive life forms could probably have survived the journey easier (e.g. just as we have already launched unmanned space craft to our nearest neighbouring star, so maybe some unmanned spacecraft landed here, and hitching a ride aboard may have been some primitive single cellular life form).  It could even be that the primitive life did not arrive here about a specially constructed space craft, but on an interstellar meteor that somehow got ejected from its own solar system.

In fact, one of the questions I had often wondered is, if we do find primitive life on Mars, can we be sure that it is native to Mars, or could it have arrived as a contaminant aboard some earlier unmanned mission to Mars?

Could there be higher order life that is regularly visiting this planet?

Unless it has found a way to travel faster than the speed of light, then either the visits would have to be very infrequent, or they must have a home planet that is very close.  If it takes a million years to travel each way, then clearly a single space ship could not have made even a single round trip in all the time that homo sapiens have inhabited this planet.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2006 00:06:37 by another_someone »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/02/2006 14:15:26 »
What i mean is aliens are THEY amoung us?

- Big T

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #15 on: 03/02/2006 19:30:22 »
No

Offline BigBen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22/02/2006 14:22:15 »
Puh-leeeze! Aliens dont exist. If they did God would tell us in the bible.

Offline BigBen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/02/2006 14:24:11 »
Besides if they are smart enough to travel through space why would they bother with us stupid humans

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22/02/2006 22:16:16 »
so what about astronauts!!
smart or stupid human?

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22/02/2006 23:28:20 »
anyone that puts on a suit that contains a fart when it is released has got to be stupid, or very brave x

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23/02/2006 14:26:52 »
they are probley observing our progress. to see how we progress

- Big T

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23/02/2006 15:04:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by BigBen

Besides if they are smart enough to travel through space why would they bother with us stupid humans

I wonder what stupid humans the Aliens may be referring to ?.....perhaps the humans who appear closed minded and not open to flexibility of thought and consideration...hmmmm !!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23/02/2006 15:21:51 »
quote:

You're making a pretty huge set of assumptions... that life is out there seems perfectly possible, but then it has to get to us whilst we're "in" (we haven't been here long in intergalactic terms, and at the current rate of progress we won't be here much longer (again in intergalactic terms), then it has to be interested in what we're up to.

People are pretty remarkable, really. We have this apparently inbuilt drive to knowing things for their own sake (rather than solely for survival). Before you go looking for intergalactic space-hopping aliens, have a look at the ones all around us, dogs, cats, swans, goldfish... they're all life-forms, they're pretty damn similar to us in the grand scheme of things, and yet they show precious little interest in researching the habits of species living right alongside them (except insofar as the eating-and-killing game goes, up and down the food chain).
So, well, it strikes me as pretty unlikely that there are aliens living amonst us researching our little ways and watching our progress.

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03/03/2006 03:41:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:

OK, UFO's and aliens are slightly different things.

What I mean is that a UFO is merely a flying object maybe an alien flying object but it's up there, not down here.

An alien amongst us is something down here, however it got here.

Even if extraterrestrial aliens were to exist, and even if they could somehow travel the vast distances from their home planet, it would seem incredibly unlikely that they would look anything like us.

Could one of the life forms that exist on this planet have originated on another planet it is theoretically possible (whether plausible is another matter).  The more primitive life forms could probably have survived the journey easier (e.g. just as we have already launched unmanned space craft to our nearest neighbouring star, so maybe some unmanned spacecraft landed here, and hitching a ride aboard may have been some primitive single cellular life form).  It could even be that the primitive life did not arrive here about a specially constructed space craft, but on an interstellar meteor that somehow got ejected from its own solar system.

In fact, one of the questions I had often wondered is, if we do find primitive life on Mars, can we be sure that it is native to Mars, or could it have arrived as a contaminant aboard some earlier unmanned mission to Mars?

Could there be higher order life that is regularly visiting this planet?

Unless it has found a way to travel faster than the speed of light, then either the visits would have to be very infrequent, or they must have a home planet that is very close.  If it takes a million years to travel each way, then clearly a single space ship could not have made even a single round trip in all the time that homo sapiens have inhabited this planet.

well...
as to your comment about how they would likely not look very much like us...
Convergent evolution would say that in a similar enviroment, they would evolve similar features, because these helped us survive they would help them as well.
If they were a water planet and they were mercreatures then of course theyd be different.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04/03/2006 01:03:31 »
quote:

Does any one besides me belive they are real?

As a couple of other posters have noted, in the sense that there are objects seen in the sky that appear to be flying and are unidentified, then, yes, UFO's do exist.
Are these alien spacecraft? The vast majority of such sightings can be readily explained by one one of the following:

Natural Causes
a)Meteors
b)Venus
c)Lightning
d)Marsh gas
e)Birds
f)Ball lightning
g)etc

Artifical Causes
a)Commercial, military, or private aircraft on scheduled flights or missions.
b)Satellites
c)Re-entering satellites
d)Military or experimental craft on secret flights
e)Weather balloons
f)Airships
g)Flares
h)etc

Human Causes

a)Hallucination from drugs, mental illnees, sleep deprivation, or injury
b)Hoax, perpetrated on the observer.
c)Hoax, perpetraed by the observer.
d)etc

The list is not comprehensive, but is just some of the more obvious possibilities, off the top of my head.

There remain a few sightings that are not readily explained. However, it would be presumptuous and unscientific to then state that the only explanation is that they are alien craft. It is worth remembering the phrase popularised by Carl Sagan: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I have yet to see any such extraordinary evidence for UFOs being alien craft.

Note, this does not mean a very small number of UFOs are not alien craft, only that we have no evidence that they are. Equally, if none of the UFOs are alien craft, this does not mean that we are not being visited or watched by aliens. [It strikes me that if they have the technology to reach us, they would likely have the technology to remain unseen.]

quote:

What i mean is aliens are THEY amoung us?

They could be. It is also possible that Tony Blair wears Cherie's dresses in private, however there is no convincing evidence for either.

quote:

If intelligent, spacefaring aliens exist (and I concede that they might) and they are anything like humanity in physical and mental character, then I doubt that they are directly observing. Would you wish to spend a few hundred years in deep freeze, braving the perils of interstellar space, to then live for years limited to the confines of your spacecraft while you observed a strange planet, before undergoing more deep freeze to return to a world where everyone you had known was either dead, or several hundred years your senior?

If we are being observed it is more likely to be by highly sophisticated robotic probes, concealed within the solar system. Any SETI program should not only be scanning for signals from others stars, but checking the solar system for signals to other stars, from such probes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 04/03/2006 01:03:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums