The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Dogs Like To Fetch ?  (Read 8427 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do Dogs Like To Fetch ?
« on: 27/09/2010 15:35:37 »
Dearest Academics In Fetchology,

As a sheepy I of course luff having things fetched for me. Be it a caramel whirl, a bee hive or some 20 denier stockings !..what ever it is I luff summoning my pet salmon and  instructing him to fetch me what ever i need.

Just like Gwoggy here who is about to discover that the underneath of this ball is very wet.

Gwoggy About To Get Wet Fetching A Ball

..........and take a look at this hyper dog fetching a ball up and down the stairs lol http://www.break.com/index/little-hyper-dog-flies-down-the-stairs.html

What I would like to know is Why Do Doggies Like To Fetch Stuff ?

As A firm believer in empirical study I conducted my own experiment. seeing as I do not own a dog I dressed my cats up as doggys and took them out in the garden (USA translation service: "Garden" = "Back yard" ..sheesh )......I threw some sticks, then some balls, even a hamper of cheese and all they did was eat some grass !!...so no luck there !

can ewe help ?

Do any other animals fetch ?....what about frogs?..can a frog fetch ?

Your ' fetching ' related answers will be most welcome and will make me smile !

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
I Find This Question Most Fetching
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 27/09/2010 18:13:03 by neilep »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Re: Why Do Dogs Like To Fetch ?
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2010 16:28:50 »
Have you tried your wife?  Thanks for comments.  Sorry, that is a poor joke.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2010 17:32:47 »
Have you tried your wife? 

Hmmm, not an entirely bad idea, I shall give it a go, just a min, please feel free to talk among yourselves while I'm gone........

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 27/09/2010 17:40:02 »

Hmmm, not an entirely bad idea, I shall give it a go, just a min, please feel free to talk among yourselves while I'm gone........

Well, that wasn't very successful. I threw the wife as far as I could manage. Using a style somewhat similar to that of an Olympic hammer thrower, I held her by the feet and began to twist around at great speed. I let go of her feet and she travelled a mere 12' 6". I have no doubt she would have gone further, but for the brick wall.

Anyway, I then realised the one great set back to my experiment. We haven't got a dog!

You ever tried getting a tortoise to play fetch? They just aren't interested.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/09/2010 17:56:49 »
Shouldn't throw sticks for dogs...

The act of fetching a stick is dangerous for several reasons, according to Dr. Michael Levine, DVM, a veterinarian in the Boston area. Dr. Levine outlined stick fetching dangers to dogs...
vets-say-playing-fetch-with-a-stick-is-dangerous-a87008
« Last Edit: 27/09/2010 17:59:02 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/09/2010 18:14:43 »
Have you tried your wife?  Thanks for comments.  Sorry, that is a poor joke.  Joe L. Ogan

hee hee...no I haven't but I have a feeling a certain don juan is about to !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27/09/2010 18:15:37 »

Well, that wasn't very successful. I threw the wife as far as I could manage. Using a style somewhat similar to that of an Olympic hammer thrower, I held her by the feet and began to twist around at great speed. I let go of her feet and she travelled a mere 12' 6". I have no doubt she would have gone further, but for the brick wall.

Anyway, I then realised the one great set back to my experiment. We haven't got a dog!

You ever tried getting a tortoise to play fetch? They just aren't interested.

Put it like this....ewe now hold the world record for hammer throwing a wife !!.....personally, i think it should be introduced as a new sport for 2012 !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/09/2010 18:16:18 »
Shouldn't throw sticks for dogs...

The act of fetching a stick is dangerous for several reasons, according to Dr. Michael Levine, DVM, a veterinarian in the Boston area. Dr. Levine outlined stick fetching dangers to dogs...
vets-say-playing-fetch-with-a-stick-is-dangerous-a87008

Is a ball ok ?.....unless...it's a stick shaped ball ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/09/2010 18:22:21 »
Is a ball ok ?

Dr. Michael Levine recommends two safe alternatives that can be used instead of a stick for playing fetch with a dog.

Large rubber balls and similar rubber toys are great for a game of fetch and they're often more amusing than sticks because they bounce around as they land. When using a ball to play fetch with a dog, it's important to find a ball that's much larger than the dog's throat to prevent accidental swallowing of the ball.

Dog owners can also use a soft fabric frisbee. Normal plastic frisbees should be avoided since they cause tooth injuries, especially as the dog tries to catch the frisbee in the air. A dog can also suffer intestinal blockages if the pet chews a plastic frisbee and swallows the plastic shards.

Dog owners should also avoid tennis balls, since some vets believe that the tennis ball surface damages the dog's tooth enamel. But Dr. Levine notes that this is a more serious risk for dogs who play catch frequently, particularly on a daily basis.
TNS forum does not permit posting the full link. google this bit of the link "vets-say-playing-fetch-with-a-stick-is-dangerous-a87008"

I did say previously that I thought this type of prop would make a good dog toy for playing fetch in the park :)
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=23448.msg259292#msg259292
« Last Edit: 27/09/2010 19:36:17 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27/09/2010 19:16:55 »
Our Shona likes to fetch pieces of our neighbor's sheep.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #10 on: 27/09/2010 19:42:34 »
LOOK OUT SHEEPY!!!

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27/09/2010 20:02:02 »
It looks like he/she has just had a piece of sheep and is busy digesting it.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27/09/2010 20:08:52 »

As a sheepy I of course luff having things fetched for me. Be it a caramel whirl, a bee hive or some 20 denier stockings !..what ever it is I luff summoning my pet salmon and  instructing him to fetch me what ever i need.

Just like Gwoggy here who is about to discover that the underneath of this ball is very wet.

I just had a little talk with the dog and asked him why he enjoys playing fetch with his human.  I was surprised to hear him say, "I do not enjoy it but my human gets such of a kick out of it that I just do it to please him!"  Now this make me wonder who is playing with whom?

..........and take a look at this hyper dog fetching a ball up and down the stairs lol http://www.break.com/index/little-hyper-dog-flies-down-the-stairs.html

As A firm believer in empirical study I conducted my own experiment. seeing as I do not own a dog I dressed my cats up as doggys and took them out in the garden (USA translation service: "Garden" = "Back yard" ..sheesh )......I threw some sticks, then some balls, even a hamper of cheese and all they did was eat some grass !!...so no luck there !

can ewe help ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27/09/2010 20:47:19 »
I think I'd pull a face like that too with something as big as me inside ewe !!...lol !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/09/2010 20:49:11 »

I just had a little talk with the dog and asked him why he enjoys playing fetch with his human.  I was surprised to hear him say, "I do not enjoy it but my human gets such of a kick out of it that I just do it to please him!"  Now this make me wonder who is playing with whom?

can ewe help ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil

I see...so it's us who are being trained eh ?  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27/09/2010 20:51:27 »
LOOK OUT SHEEPY!!!

hang on...I see the progeny betwixed myself and Shona sitting on the chair arm in the background !!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/09/2010 21:00:47 »
I don't think he's looking sheepish.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27/09/2010 21:21:39 »
Hi, Neilep.  I believe more than being trained, we are being toyed with.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 27/09/2010 21:21:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums