The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How are infectious prion diseases, like BSE, transmitted?  (Read 35669 times)

Offline shicky42

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How are infectious prion diseases, like BSE, transmitted?
« Reply #75 on: 22/11/2004 16:34:06 »
Drinking alcohol and beer while being diagnose with prion disease, how effective could that be?  Could a person with prion disease continue to have a beer occassionaly?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #76 on: 23/11/2004 10:18:42 »
Please tell us a bit more about your husband and his condition, including how long he has had symptoms and how it was first picked up / diagnosed.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline TomG1987

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 09/02/2005 23:21:32 »
*Thinks Prions have made his brain fry* (not in a clinical or even literal sense)

thanks to this thread and good ol prusiner ive gained 2 offers out of 3 choices on UCAs for veterinary medicine intercalated with biochemistry :D

BUt all is not finished for me and prions, for i am still so intrigued by them, any new evidence come to light about reasons for ranbdom flippage of PrPc? or any new treatments (apart from thew on mentioned at the start of this thread which as i undertsand it halts the diseases). and lastly, diabetes a prion disease? if i read the members post a few back? type 2 albeit but how can that be? i thought diabetes was inability to control insulin, and so inability to control glucose and glycogen, i never knew it could be even vaguely related to prion pathogenisis
[?]

'To know when to stop, is to know when you're beaten. Never stop, and you're never beaten'

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #78 on: 10/02/2005 11:57:58 »
Congratulations on your offers - where are they from ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline TomG1987

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 02/03/2005 13:17:14 »
Well Cambridge rejected me unfortunately, (which was strange as one of the interviewers in the veterinary interview said 'Excellent' when i gave him an answer about prions, cant remember what though, but the college interview didnt go so well i dont think) however the Royal Veterinary College in London have offerd me a place, as have Bristol Veterinary School. I only applied to three so not a bad result considering nobody in my school has had an offer first time from any vet school for over 5 years. I don't know which one to go to though, but if I go to London I can do a research elective into prions, which could be fun. Then again Bristol have invited me to apply for  avacational scholarship to research immunology and virology :S Don't know which to go for.

'To know when to stop, is to know when you're beaten. Never stop, and you're never beaten'

Offline PhirePhly

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 13/05/2005 04:14:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

...jelly (what Americans call jello for some reason, probably because they call jam jelly, god knows why)...

"Jello" is a brand name of a food product that is called "gelatin" generically.

Much like you folks calling a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover" as if there weren't a thousand other folks making them.

Jelly (shorthand for "gelatin", jam, and preserves are used to differentiate between (respectively) gelatinated fruit juice, gelatinated mostly-macerated fruit and more-or-less whole fruit preserved in gelatinated sugar-sauce.

When the British learn how to spell Aluminum, then you can whine about odd names for American stuff.  'Till then, I wouldn't poke too much fun at what Yanks call things.  The land of "Spotted Dick" and Welsh street names with 47 consonants and two vowels probably doesn't have much room to be having off anyone else's language idiosyncracies.

Thanks,

L. Lisov
« Last Edit: 13/05/2005 04:41:03 by PhirePhly »

Offline phdkso

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 28/05/2005 01:32:30 »
While I have not read all contributions to this topic, it seems to me that we are still treating mad cow disease and BSE as a food related topic. I recently had occasion to search the string, "What drugs contain bovine material" at AskJeeves (http://ask.com [nofollow]) and got 16,800 hits. After reading some of the references I concluded that the BSE/Mad Cow Disease issue for completness must include the issue of bovine sourced drugs.

phdkso

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #81 on: 28/05/2005 01:32:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums