The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Digital Gyroscope..how do they work ?  (Read 18664 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Digital Gyroscope..how do they work ?
« on: 02/02/2006 19:57:59 »
As a dedicated Saddo that I am....I recently watched (at some stupid hour of the morning) Model World !! (not girly models but vehicle models...or as the americans say Ver-HIC-alls :))

...anyway...this particular absorbing episode of an entrancing nature had me captivated by remote control helicopters  !!(yawn)...anyway...it was mentioned that they use a Digital Gyrospcope to help with stability and stuff...so..how does a digital gyroscope work ?

Ta

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

another_someone

Re: Digital Gyroscope..how do they work ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2006 21:08:57 »
I would guess that they are merely referring to digital sensors.  The actual gyroscopic principles, I would imagine are either the good old fashioned rotating body, or laser gyroscopes.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2006 21:49:49 »
Thanks G...it's just that I am sure they said it had no moving parts but I could be mistaken....it was a bloodshot eye moment.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2006 21:59:25 »
Laser gyroscopes would have no moving parts (if one ignores the movement of the photons).
« Last Edit: 02/02/2006 22:01:15 by another_someone »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: 02/02/2006 22:19:01 »
Laser gyroscopes are cool, You have laser light moving two ways round a ring, and you get a standing wave set up. If you rotate the thing the frequency of the two rings are doppler shifted in two different directions, so the standing wave is no longer stable and the two different frequencies will beat together (making the standing wave build and reduce a number of times that relates to how far you have rotated the thing. keep a count of these and you know how far it has rotated.)

The other way of doing it is with a MEMS gyroscope - basically a tiny machine made of silicon. Some of these work on the same principle as Foucolt's pendulum (the one that rotates with the earth) you make a little resonator that wants to stay still as you rotate it and measure the forces on it. They are not as good but much much smaller and cheaper than real gyro or a laser gyro.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2006 02:57:50 »
I presume a laser gyroscope must be extremely accurate eh ?...on what measure of accuracy are they more dependable than a tradtional gyroscope ?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2006 17:55:30 »
Laser gyros tend to be quite large and expensive  There have been designs for chips with vibrating reeds on them that can act as gyros by measuring inertial effects on the vibrations.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2006 21:37:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Soul Surfer

Laser gyros tend to be quite large and expensive  There have been designs for chips with vibrating reeds on them that can act as gyros by measuring inertial effects on the vibrations.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Thank you all for your replies......Besides naviagtion and stability of various vehicles are gyroscopes used for anything else ?

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2006 22:44:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Thank you all for your replies......Besides naviagtion and stability of various vehicles are gyroscopes used for anything else ?

Bullets in flight are stabilised by spinning in what amounts to gyroscopic stabilisation.

Guns mounted on turrets (such as on tanks or ships) I would think would be  be gyroscopically stabilised.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2006 01:19:53 by another_someone »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2006 22:44:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums