The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dog Whistles !!...  (Read 9715 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dog Whistles !!...
« on: 02/02/2006 20:11:01 »
Do Dog Whistles exist purely for human ear comfort or because dogs respond more so to those higher frequencies ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
Re: Dog Whistles !!...
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2006 23:10:46 »
i tried a dog whistle once to call my collie cross labrador,it didnt take any notice at all,so i just carried on shouting at it( the dog not the whistle)but i think the mutt was deaf.

every village has one !

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2006 00:24:34 »
I don't know about dog whistles, but I really don't like the movement-sensor-cat-scaring-high-pitch-device-thing. They may be inaudible to the older generation (hearing goes first at high pitches, right?) but to me they're pretty unpleasant.
If people want them in their gardens, I guess that's their decision... but I wish they wouldn't put them in the front garden so you can't get to your own (well, the boyfriend's) front door without setting the beastly thing off.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/2006 00:58:57 »
I,ve never heard of a movement-sensor-cat-scaring-high-pitch-device-thing

but do you think it would be possible for them to make a movement-sensor-daughters boyfriends -scaring-high-pitch-device-thing.:D

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2006 01:14:53 »
have you seen on tv news,they are using ultra-sound to keep gangs of kids away from shops,they got this black box(its always a black box,why not pink or summat) anyway this thing emits annoying sounds, bit like busted,and drives the kids off,try one on my two year old i think,keep her off this pc.

every village has one !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2006 03:03:30 »
...The thing is..how would you ever know if your dog whistle was broken ?...you may have a dog who just doesn't react....

Rosy...I don't like the sound of that cat thing !!..I'm a cat lover and it's important that my cat poos and wees and digs up dirt in next doors garden !!...:)

Ray...are you serious about the youth-repellant ?

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2006 12:05:42 »
"" Dazer Dog Deterrent
Portable Electronic Dog Deterrent
Hand held device to keep dogs away"".
http://www.mflshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1072&jssCart=e69c796720187c59c8bf8cfd12d62c6d

I think a Tazer would be more effective:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazer    [}:)]

« Last Edit: 03/02/2006 14:53:07 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2006 21:19:05 »
Now unless you are in daily contact with our canine buddies why on earth would you want to procure a dazer ?...

..unless you live on an estate where you are being bothered by gangs of juvenile delinquent Chihuahuas !!

Give a cat a dazer..a dog a tazer.....a bearded man a razor...a club member a blazer...la dee da dee daa !!   :D

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2006 22:04:01 »
dead serious,its called scorpion i think,they got it outside a news-agent near bristol,weird thing is,some of the adults can hear it too.
on about annoying animals that poo in your garden,ive been blaming the neighbors cat for the pressies,i saw something in the garden last nite,put on the "blind the ba$*"^% light,and what do i see,a bloody fox doin the business,dont they run fast !!!!!!!

every village has one !

Offline irynast

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2006 14:46:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Now unless you are in daily contact with our canine buddies why on earth would you want to procure a dazer ?...

I thought I'll reply to this sentence as I feel strongly about such issue!
I personally grew up in the country where dogs aloud to do lots of bad things including attack on people. I grew up with extreme fear of dogs... And as much as I live in the UK now, I feel this fear is always rising when I'm close to a big dog. Since the moment I became a mother I have to spend a lot of time in a park where people walk their dogs... I feel protected when I can just press a button and see a dog losing interest in me!
That's why someone would need a dazer!
And what about joggers, walkers, postmen, cyclists, the elderly?
Good for you if you are not afraid of dogs!

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #10 on: 03/10/2006 22:13:42 »
dog whistles were origonaly pitched too high for humans not for our comfort rather it is because dogs find high pitched tones painful  and its actually a way to train a dog rather like a choke chain nowadays however most whistles are pitched not to hurt the dog but rather so that it is an unusual frequency not commenly found so the dog recognises it rather than the human voice which in a crowded place can get muddled with other voices so the dog dosnt recognise it

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/10/2006 22:36:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by irynast

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I thought I'll reply to this sentence as I feel strongly about such issue!
I personally grew up in the country where dogs aloud to do lots of bad things including attack on people. I grew up with extreme fear of dogs... And as much as I live in the UK now, I feel this fear is always rising when I'm close to a big dog. Since the moment I became a mother I have to spend a lot of time in a park where people walk their dogs... I feel protected when I can just press a button and see a dog losing interest in me!
That's why someone would need a dazer!
And what about joggers, walkers, postmen, cyclists, the elderly?
Good for you if you are not afraid of dogs!

Hi irynast

Welcome to the forum,

I wholeheartedly agree that in your case and in the case of others who are in frequent contact with dogs that then this form of deterrent is worthwhile. Of course I am afraid of any dog that wants to attack me but fortunately I have never had such a circumstance. Though there have been reports of terrible canine induced tragedies I just feel that it is such a rare occurrence that's all. My point was that I doubt owning a Dazer is high oin the list of the majority..that was all.

I certainly can feel how strong you feel about this. May I ask...have you then had cause to use such a thing here in the UK ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 03/10/2006 22:38:58 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/10/2006 22:37:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

dog whistles were origonaly pitched too high for humans not for our comfort rather it is because dogs find high pitched tones painful  and its actually a way to train a dog rather like a choke chain nowadays however most whistles are pitched not to hurt the dog but rather so that it is an unusual frequency not commenly found so the dog recognises it rather than the human voice which in a crowded place can get muddled with other voices so the dog dosnt recognise it

THANK YOU CHRIS....excellent information.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/10/2006 00:06:41 »
Neil as we're talking about cats. ( WELL WE ARE NOW :)did you know they were talking about  your site http://www.stuffonmycat.com on the radio the other day   97.9 FM

Michael

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/10/2006 00:12:14 »
YAYYYY !!..Hi Michael !..

No, I didn't know that...I missed it !!..ho hum !!.

You know it's not my site don't you chum ?..it's just a site that I really like !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04/10/2006 00:14:24 »
Hi mate , i thought it was yours. :)

Michael

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04/10/2006 03:03:42 »
Quite a few people have thought it was mine too !..I wish it was !:)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04/10/2006 05:11:47 »
Hey you, two of my three children have been viciously attacked by dogs and landed them into the hospital with tons of stiches.. My Daughter was attacked walking to school one morning a neighbors dog broke a chain and ripped her bak all up around her kidney area ripped several chunks out of her upper arms when she tried to protect her face.. Ripped up her thigh outer leg and sveral rips and huge holes in her legs..! My youngest, a son, was attacked by his buddies dog. Ripped his arm all up! Upper arm and severed and artery..They both had a ton of stiches and huge medical bills..

So I do see a need for protection sometimes, but who can guess when you will need it really!!

Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 04/10/2006 05:11:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums