The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will suicide jumps on the moon be null and void ?  (Read 5776 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Lets say I'm a really depressed moon inhabitant in about 100 years and I choose to end my miserable moon based existence.

Will jumping off the tallest building eg 200 feet be a waste of suicide energy ?

Thanks...I want to know because I want to know.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Will suicide jumps on the moon be null and void ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2006 20:51:29 »
The easiest way to work out how fast you will be falling is to consider the potential energy.

Energy = mgh so if you jump off a building on the moon as g is 1/6 of that on earth a 200ft building would be the eqivalent of a 200/6=33ft building on earth, so dangerous but survivable if your breathing equipment survives.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2006 20:56:58 »
Thanks Dave...Can I assume then that if the building were tall enough then , that I would just continue to increase in velocity ?...and therfore end up as moon pizza ?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2006 22:05:50 »
If you were falling through a vacuum then yes, if you were falling through air (inside the building) then no, you would eventually reach a terminal velocity, which as a very rough guess would be about 1/(sqrt(6)) of your terminal velocity on earth (air resistance is vaguely proportional to the square of your speed) - so about 50mph rather than 120mph. So probably not pizza, but pretty broken anyway.

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2006 11:48:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Lets say I'm a really depressed moon inhabitant in about 100 years and I choose to end my miserable moon based existence.

I'm not surprised moonlings would be suicidal: if born and raised on the moon, which has one sixth of Earth's gravity, they would be grotesquely skeletal and be incapable of travelling to Earth,
 as they would become six times heavier and their spindly porous bones would snap.
« Last Edit: 03/02/2006 12:40:11 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2006 21:32:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I'm not surprised moonlings would be suicidal: if born and raised on the moon, which has one sixth of Earth's gravity, they would be grotesquely skeletal and be incapable of travelling to Earth,
 as they would become six times heavier and their spindly porous bones would snap.

Absolutely....that's one thing we have to take into consideration when we eventually quit the earth and locate a new home. If it's a generational ship then unless we can create artificial gravity then who knows what ensuing offpsring diemensional chaos will emanate ?

I exepect it would take a while though before evolution decided to make our progeny twenty feet tall eh ?

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2006 14:41:35 »
I would like to amend my above post on "Moonlings".

A Moonling travelling to Earth would not be conscious long enough to experience their bones breaking. When Earthlings are exposed to six times normal gravity, e.g. an astronaut in a centrifuge *, they lose consciousness in a matter of seconds. So a Moonling would be unconscious before their spacecraft landed on Earth, (they would not regain consciousness).

If any humans choose to live on the Moon I suspect that they will not be called "Moonlings",
 one way or another they will be "Loonies".

-----------------------------

* ""Depending on a personís physical condition and stature, consciousness is generally lost at between +3 and +5 Gz in a sitting position.""
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/402/1
« Last Edit: 08/02/2006 16:43:05 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2006 03:41:07 »
Would it not take a fair number of genenrations before a Moonling would be born fully acclimatized to the Moons gravity ?...is it not a matter of a slow evolutionary/adaptability process ?

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2006 14:53:55 »
The wasting of skeletal and heart muscle, and bone thinning would affect the first moonlings:-

""Cardio-vascular Changes
Heart muscle resembles skeletal muscle in that under conditions of disuse a weakening can result. Just as an athlete will strengthen his heart muscle through exercise and make it more efficient as a pump, any reduction in demand will lessen this efficiency. Associated with this, during bed rest, immersion in water or the weightlessness of space flight is a progressive loss of circulatory reflexes so important in maintaining blood pressure"".
http://www.spacedoc.net/weightlessness.html

""Fainting after extended bed rest or by astronauts after space flight may be caused by changes in the levels of a molecule known for its role in regulating blood pressure, a UC Irvine College of Medicine research team has found.""
http://www.ucihealth.com/News/Releases/Nitric_oxide_fainting.htm

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/02/2006 19:11:11 »
Thanks for the links Robert...all good stuff.

I wonder if sperm itself will also be affected...probably I would have thought. Apart from the physical changes will it even know which way to swim. The eggs will have to be extraordinarily charismatic !!

ROBERT

« Reply #10 on: 15/02/2006 18:06:38 »
Spermatozoa find eggs by chemotaxis: moving along a chemical gradient.
So low/no gravity enviroments should not affect this process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotaxis

www.weizmann.ac.il/Biological_Chemistry/scientist/Eisenbach/P83.pdf
« Last Edit: 15/02/2006 18:13:34 by ROBERT »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 15/02/2006 18:06:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums