The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is it possible to grow some grapes in the winter?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Joe Hansen

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have heard that there are "hardy grape varieties" like Concord grapes which can be grown at regions where there is winter. How do they make grapes like these which are resistant to winter frost?

newbielink:http://www.grapegrowingfun.com/growing-concord-grapes/ [nonactive]--- this was what I read. It says that a man named Ephraim Bulls "developed" the Concord grapes. But how did he do that?  ???

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
Why is it possible to grow some grapes in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/2010 16:41:35 »
I'm not much of an expert, but I'm guessing that these varieties (my family has grown several varieties) were artificially selected. He probably found a plant that was more resistant to the cold, and then carefully pollinated it until he had a variety that was even further resistant.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 08/10/2010 16:36:09 »
Contrary to popular ideas, vines can be grown in many conditions.

European vines imported into North America in the early days of settlement were thought to have suffered from the frosts. It took some time to realise that the problem was in fact a parasite called Phylloxera. This parasite was inadvertently transported back to Europe, where it caused devastation to many vines before it was discovered in the late 19th. C.

There are a number of vines native to North America, but they were found to be not up to the early settlers liking. By the late 19th. C European vines were being grafted on to native vine root stocks. This still happens today.

Offline Joe Hansen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2010 13:59:11 »
Thanks for the help Bill.D.Katt. and Don_1.  :D

Offline szymon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/10/2010 20:45:47 »
Nowadays hundreds of agriculture plants are genetically modified so I wouldn't wonder if he grew modified grapes
:- )

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2010 14:26:34 »
Read this on GM grapes BUT BEWARE, this site is not exactly known for its accuracy!

« Last Edit: 30/10/2010 14:30:27 by Don_1 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2010 14:26:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums