The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does software make you mental?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Does software make you mental?
« on: 14/10/2010 00:56:37 »
I've known quite a few really brilliant software engineers over the years. Funny thing is, they were all a bit, well you know, unhinged, if you know what I mean.

So, was it writing software that made them mental, or, is it necessary to be mental to write software?

Strangely enough, I've written some code myself, but it obviously didn't effect me in the slightest.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2010 00:58:44 by Geezer »

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/10/2010 04:23:58 »
I've known quite a few really brilliant software engineers over the years. Funny thing is, they were all a bit, well you know, unhinged, if you know what I mean.

So, was it writing software that made them mental, or, is it necessary to be mental to write software?

Strangely enough, I've written some code myself, but it obviously didn't effect me in the slightest.

Writing some code is like walking your miniature toy puddle a bit, in the driveway and follow up with a pooper scooper.
You will never gain enough muscle to run a Marathon doing that. Slightest effect.

Now run 10 miles a day following your the leash of your untrained Great Dane.
What happens to you leg muscles. Practice gets you there.

I feel that Software jocks only concentrate in the area of passion of programming all other distrations are dismissed and their narrow view of focus. Any way they can gain the razors edge. Sometimes close to being in a boat with one oar in the water

« Last Edit: 14/10/2010 04:27:30 by tommya300 »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/10/2010 04:25:45 »

I think it's the latter: "computer programmer" should be somewhere on the autistic spectrum:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome#Epidemiology
« Last Edit: 14/10/2010 04:28:23 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2010 08:14:41 »
............ but it obviously didn't effect me in the slightest.

Hmmm! What can I usefully add?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #4 on: 14/10/2010 11:23:51 »
Thing about [us] software bods is the we are, to a man (or woman - yeah right, they exist!) with out a doubt the most socially eloquent and well-adjusted peeps on Earth!  :D

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/10/2010 11:51:54 »
Thing about [us] software bods is the we are, to a man (or woman - yeah right, they exist!) with out a doubt the most socially eloquent and well-adjusted peeps on Earth!  :D

No dought about it. Woman really control multitasking better than man. Sone also are truely blond and some are truely Jet Black. No fury greater then a pi-ss-ed off b-it-ch.

Well anyway Geezer what made the term "MAD Scientist", evolve and adapt to other unusual charaters

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/10/2010 13:06:26 »
Outside their environmet some act more flamboyant and clueless.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/10/2010 02:19:46 »
I wonder if the same can be said of mathematicians ?, Newton, Einstein, Babbage to name but a few certainly had their eccentricities

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/10/2010 07:42:06 »
I wonder if the same can be said of mathematicians ?, Newton, Einstein, Babbage to name but a few certainly had their eccentricities

I'm not sure I understand your point Syhprum. They all seemed quite normal to me.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15/10/2010 10:47:29 »
Syhprum - would any of those you mentioned consider themselves mathematicians, even though their achievements were great?  Biographies I have read of Albert tend to give the impression that he saw maths as a necessary tool to be learnt and used not as an end in and of itself...

I agree with the trend though - let's face it even if we go back to the classical mathematicians they were a bit weird ie Pythagoras was round the twist... beans etc   

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #10 on: 15/10/2010 11:34:30 »

I'm not sure I understand your point Syhprum. They all seemed quite normal to me.

... at the time :D ....  ;)

Re the normalcy of Babbage:
Charles Babbage, who conceived programmable computation, wrote to the young poet Tennyson. "In your otherwise beautiful poem," he said, "one verse reads,
    Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment one is born.
" ... If this were true," he went on, "the population of the world would be at a standstill. In truth, the rate of birth is slightly in excess of that of death. I would suggest [that the next edition of your poem should read]:"
    Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment 1 1/16 is born.
"Strictly speaking," Babbage added, "the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a line, but I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for poetry."

What a geek!  ;D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15/10/2010 12:22:31 »
software bods ... the most socially well-adjusted peeps on Earth! 

Shouldn't that be "in The Federation".

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #12 on: 15/10/2010 15:20:49 »
software bods ... the most socially well-adjusted peeps on Earth! 

Shouldn't that be "in The Federation".

:D :D
Beam me up Scottie! ;)

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15/10/2010 19:13:18 »

Mr Geezer sir... I did think that any of you have the rare opportunity of shaking hands and having a conversation over some sarsaparilla, with each of these 3.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 15/10/2010 19:13:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums