The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are we all going to DIE?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« on: 15/10/2010 00:02:09 »
Aphophis or somebody predicted hitler, electricity, 9/11, and lots of orher stuff. he also seen the end of the earth but did not say the date as he thaught it would scare people (no s......). He did say though that the person responsible for ending the world would be a "man in a blue suite near the turn of a centuary" (he didnt say which centuary).
So, with all of this talk of iraq going to nuke isreal or something on the news actually got me quite woried as the guy was wearing a blue suite. I ussually dont belive in all of that prediction stuff but this aphophis got everything else wright.
Anyone else think thats spooky or should i go to a mental hospital!

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2010 04:32:03 »
Quit worrying about something you have no control over!
Even though, control is an illusion, worrying is just a waste of personal energy, energy that can be useful for other means. When the Grim Ripper comes welcome his spirit with open arms, this will scare the hell out of him.

Besides let the big guns have a crack at it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/dec/07/spaceexploration.research

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/
« Last Edit: 15/10/2010 04:50:38 by maffsolo »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #2 on: 15/10/2010 14:43:59 »
Aphophis or somebody predicted hitler, electricity, 9/11, and lots of orher stuff. he also seen the end of the earth but did not say the date as he thaught it would scare people (no s......). He did say though that the person responsible for ending the world would be a "man in a blue suite near the turn of a centuary" (he didnt say which centuary).
So, with all of this talk of iraq going to nuke isreal or something on the news actually got me quite woried as the guy was wearing a blue suite. I ussually dont belive in all of that prediction stuff but this aphophis got everything else wright.
Anyone else think thats spooky or should i go to a mental hospital!

Its OK, we're safe, there's no man in this 3pce suite.

Offline Ethos

• View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #3 on: 15/10/2010 14:57:36 »
On the same note; The Bible predicts a war that will end up killing one third of mankind and that war is supposed to start around the region of the Euphrates river. Can anyone spell Iraq, and Iran?????

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2010 18:24:09 »
So you 'ussually [sic] don't belive [sic] in all of that prediction stuff' but the fact that someone is wearing a blue suite [sic] has changed your mind, even though the 'suit', being a set of matched garments made from the same cloth and consisting of at least a jacket and trousers, didn't exist until the early 17th century.

Aphophis, aka Apep, was an Egyptian deity.  You're probably thinking of Nostradamus, who died in the mid 16th century.

What I really don't understand though, is why some people seem to take the flimsiest and most ambiguous suggestions of impending disaster seriously.  Are people really that bored with mundane reality that they'll give up rationality for the most improbable speculation, especially when it's about something really bad happening?  It's as though people want these disasters to occur, with an extraordinary degree enthusiasm and relish.

Hmm... on second thought though, when one considers how many people play the lottery in the genuine expectation of winning, I suppose that they do.

Arthur Dent: "So this is it. We're going to die."

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2010 18:55:12 »
Its not so much just because he was wearing a blue suit it was more because all of the previous predictions being spookily correct.
However, on a more positive side a guy next centuary might wear a blue suite as well.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2010 19:04:25 »
Are people really that bored with mundane reality that they'll give up rationality for the most improbable speculation, especially when it's about something really bad happening?  It's as though people want these disasters to occur, with an extraordinary degree enthusiasm and relish.

Perhaps it makes them feel special because they think they have special knowledge.

Of course, sooner or later somebody is going to say "The World will end next Tuesday" and they'll actually be right. Then they'll have the satisfaction of being able to say "I told you so!" - er, well, they probably won't be able to of course.

It's a bit like Spike Milligan putting "I told you I wasn't well" on his headstone.

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #7 on: 15/10/2010 19:36:10 »
I like watching these things on TV. Its entertainment. I watched a narration on Nostradamus in the late 90's, they had explanations filed to fit all his past predictions. Nothing about the future. Then after 911 oh here is a prediction from his quatrain that was "translated", a way to file to fit for all to believe bull duncan hog wash. The exposure of the translation is a dollar short and a day late.
Fun to be entertained, I rather have real space creatures take me away, and experience Light Speed.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2010 19:39:01 by maffsolo »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Are we all going to DIE?
« Reply #7 on: 15/10/2010 19:36:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums