The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: super masive blackhole rotation  (Read 2483 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
super masive blackhole rotation
« on: 04/02/2006 18:43:15 »
How do SMBH at the centre of galaxies gain there rotation, is it from the movement  of the clouds of dust that formed it in the fledgling gaxlaxy. and if so does that must mean that all SMBH must rotate.

What does a normal stellar mass blackhole of the non rotating variety form from. Do all stars rotate,meaning any blackhole they form should also rotate.

ps keep it simple:D
Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 04/02/2006 19:19:44 by ukmicky »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: super masive blackhole rotation
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/2006 10:10:45 »
The conservation of angular momentum means that any object contracting out of a diffuse and slightly turbulent diffuse material will develop rotation.  This is just the same as the reason why the water always swirls as it goes down the plughole no matter how still the bath is before you pull the plug out.

I honestly belive that it is impossible to create a black hole without trapping some angular momentumn inside it and the non rotating black hole is just a mathematical curiosity the reason that it is always mentioned is that it is much simpler mathematically and (rotating black holes were only solved relatively recently) it also has this awkward "singularity" inside it with lots of "gee whizz" characteristics and allows the theoreticians to get off the hook by saying it's mysterious.

The rotating black hole is much more complex and interesting and contains a ring or toroidal membrane "singularity".  I think it IS analysable using current knowledge to a much greater degree but I have been totally unable to find out if anyone has had a go.  That's why I had a go and got a big surprise and came up with the thinking described in "view from a ring singularity" which is as far as I know totally original.

I have posted this thinking a few days ago on a much bigger more active and serious scientific site and so far the silence has been deafaning! so I am reasonably sure that if this was one if the standard naive ideas from non expert scientists and easily refutable someone would have put the boot in long before now.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!
« Last Edit: 05/02/2006 10:19:24 by Soul Surfer »

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2006 21:17:02 »
EH UP,
I THOUGHT THE SPIN OF THE EARTH CAUSED WATER TO SPIN AS IT WENT DOWN THE PLUG HOLE,THEY DO A LITTLE THING WITH A FUNNEL AND JUGS OF WATER IN KENYA,NORTH OF THE EQUATOR IT SPINS ONE WAY,SOUTH IT SPINS THE OTHER,ON THE EQUATOR IT JUST TRICKLES OUT,AND BY POSTING THIS HAVE I BECOME AN AWKWARD SINGULARITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE-HAB IS FOR QUITTERS.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2006 14:38:50 »
ukmicky u seem as interested in black holes as i am but sadley i don't know the answer to ur question

- Big T

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2006 14:38:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums