The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A transportation method with example animation included  (Read 3486 times)

Offline str551

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello

I've been interested in different transportation methods ever since I got on a commercial jetliner, not to say that it was a bad experience, I just realised how incredibly complex it all is and the scope for accidents, in my opinion.

So for the past couple years I find myself applying every day ideas into transportation methods, from mundane to downright crazy.

The basic idea behind it is using natural atmospheric pressures and manipulating the 'transportation body' to get from A to B.

So I thought about how a submarine works; It uses buoyancy to rise and fall in the ocean, so ballast tanks are filled with water to sink the vessel, then compressed air which then fills them back up when it's going to surface. From this basic concept I imagined a water-filled tubed arc from A to B with a body that holds the passengers (or goods). This arc is raised up from ground level and as the body within the arc starts off, it begins to fill the ballast tanks with air. "Rollers" or wheels, are on the top side of this vessel and then it glides up. it eventually gets to the mid-point of the destination and from there it's a case of filling up the tanks with water and so on.

I've made the basic concept I had in mind into an animation. you can see it here:
newbielink:http://www.xtidesign.com/temporary/example.mov [nonactive]

I'd love to hear the opinions of others here and especially engineers or any other people who feel they have some practical knowledge surrounding the subjects in question.

Kind regards

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
A transportation method with example animation included
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2010 23:16:23 »
There are a lot of engineers on the boards who might have more ideas.  I would have thought that to get any distance you would need quite a high arc - this would create immense structural difficulties.  Water is quite heavy; thus you construction would have to be impossibly strong, the water pressure at the ground level would be extreme (1 atmos for every ten metres), and you still need to input energy in the form of the water pumps. 

I would prefer a nice railway anytime, and ships for the damper parts of the world.

Offline str551

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2010 00:23:20 »
I really like rail too and I ended up thinking about a particular idea...I eventually found that it existed already. Vactrain's; Sadly they are too advanced for our society right now.

Saying that...
Source:http://www.china.org.cn/china/2010-08/02/content_20624621.htm
The National Power Traction Laboratory of Southwest Jiaotong University is developing a vactrain, or a maglev train that runs through in an airless tunnel, allowing it to run at speeds of 600 kilometers to 1,000 kilometers per hour, Beijing Times reported.

The new technology can be put into operation in 10 years, said Zhang Yaoping, a researcher at National Power Traction Laboratory.

In high-speed evacuated tube transportation, the absence of air friction allows trains to run at extremely high speeds. The train carriages will be pressurized so passengers will not feel dizzy, Zhang said.

While the traditional railroad costs 150 million yuan (about US$22 million) each kilometer to build, the vactrain will be less expensive because it has smaller tunnel section. But ticket prices for the vactrain will be more expensive than that of the high-speed trains, though they will become cheaper as technology improves, Zhang said.

Besides China, Switzerland and the U.S. are the only two countries developing vactrain technology. Zhang said whether the new technology can be applied to business operations in China depends on the Ministry of Railways..
« Last Edit: 22/10/2010 18:29:03 by str551 »

Offline str551

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2010 18:30:14 »
More info on vactrains on wikipedia:
newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain [nonactive]

Offline maffsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/10/2010 22:32:36 »
Excuse me I am a little of the subject.
Cool animation! How how long did it take to create the stills?
Or was it a geometric fit, including the path of motion.
What software or softwares?

Offline str551

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2010 07:45:29 »
Cinema 4d. About 10 minutes. It was custom modelled with drawn splines for motion paths.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2010 07:22:46 »

Sadly they are too advanced for our society right now.

Perhaps, but it's a really old idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_railway

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2010 07:22:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums