The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Time Traveller? Who are you trying to kid?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Time Traveller? Who are you trying to kid?
« on: 28/10/2010 15:02:37 »
Take a look at this clip from a DVD of the 1928 Chaplin film 'The Circus'. In the extras on the DVD, a shot of people turning up for the premier of the film, shows a person who George Clark claims to be using a mobile phone.

Irish film maker George Clarke posted this clip on YouTube, claiming he noticed the strange behaviour of the person and that the clip has not been tampered with in any way.

Of course his theory that the footage shows a time traveller using a mobile phone has attracted the odd few cynical laughs, but Clarke has responded to these with this explanation:

"Who says the person in question went back to see the Chaplin premiere? How about, the person went back to an earlier period and got stuck there or was in town doing something else and just happened to stroll on by."

While the footage may well be genuine and in no way tampered with, I don't think it is clear enough to establish what the person is doing.

Did Clarke, and those who believe his explanation, stop to think who this time traveller might be talking to? Unless, of course, there are other time travellers around in 1928. As Bell discovered, its no damn good inventing the telephone until someone invents another one! What's more, I don't think there were any mobile phone masts around in 1928.

One thing which rather worries me about this 'time traveller' is that he or she looks a tad sinister in the black cape and feathered hat. Perhaps its Dr Who's arch enemy The Master:

Or perhaps Sherlock Holmes' nemesis Professor James Moriarty:

GADZOOKS, perhaps The Master and The professor are one in the same!!!!

I'm gettin' out'a here!!!!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2010 11:20:03 »
You would think the ability to have time travel might be associated with more compact technology than what is in common use today. Like, for example, a small wireless earpiece and a tiny wireless microphone (suitably disguised of course). Of course, the communicator itself can't be a mobile phone for reasons Don points out, but it could be a complex piece of kit to speak over tracts of time (if the theory is taken further). I suppose this would not necessarily be small despite advanced technology, but it would be more easily concealed about the body rather than holding it to one's ear. Then again, maybe the time traveller did not care, or actually wanted to be captured on film to cause intrigue at this point in time.

But why a time traveller? It might be an alien who really likes Charlie Chaplin and he was just giving a spontaneous review of the film to his mates on the mother ship.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2010 11:39:43 »
Oh my gawd, you'll be starting another conspiracy theory with that post.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/10/2010 15:21:33 »
Remember that scene in King Kong where he climbs that cell phone tower... hmm...

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/10/2010 19:27:02 »
Remember that scene in King Kong where he climbs that cell phone tower... hmm...

Really, JP! That wasn't a cell tower. It was a TCT tower (Thought Control Transmitter)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/10/2010 21:01:14 »
The old dear may have been a bit Mutt and Jeff and using one of these audio devices ...

http://www.phisick.com/a7et51hs.htm

http://www.phisick.com/a7etb11mini.htm

Or simply cupping her hand to her ear for the same purpose.
« Last Edit: 30/10/2010 15:56:41 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 29/10/2010 21:01:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums