The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What renewable energy sources are there?  (Read 18040 times)

What renewable energy sources are there?
« Reply #50 on: 08/12/2010 18:44:26 »

Your ignorance is staggering. I would like to point out that China is not holding the rest of the world hostage on some of the rare earths, they wish to gain the value added by selling the products that contain the minerals, rather than selling the raw material. Rare earth minerals is a bit of a misnomer, they are actually not so rare and are pretty evenly distributed in the earth’s surface,  and mines in the US, for example, that were closed because of the abundant and cheap supply from China are in the process of being reopened. Good old supply and demand.

You say there is a 40 year supply of petroleum in the ground at this point when peak oil is passing. Don't you think that as the supply gets harder and more expensive to extract, and is diminishing in volume, and India and China, and other parts of Asia are revving up their economies and require much more oil, that the cost isn't going to go up radically in the not too distant future?

I have said this before on this forum but it is worth repeating. I have purchased a fair number of solar panels for my home. At the cost I paid, and not counting the subsidies, they will still have paid for themselves in about 10 years from the purchase (about 5 years from now) and then my electricity is free for the 20 to 30 or more years of the life of the panels. In doing so I am completely protected against increasing electricity costs, and if they go up much my savings are even greater.

Your selective citations of biased web sites is not very convincing. Steve

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 08/12/2010 20:20:55 »
It is hard to know which petroleum estimates one should believe.  It is likely that we will find new and better reserves that have previously been untapped. 

But it is hard to believe that in the next century we will severely and permanently be depleting the world's petroleum reserves.   Barely a person's lifespan and we could wipe out resources for the next 4 billion years on this planet. 

The answer to global warming will be petroleum depletion.  But we need to invest now in other alternatives, or we will be stuck in a few decades with the same gas guzzling vehicles, the same consumptive behaviors, and $100/gallon fuel.

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 09/12/2010 03:19:14 »
I am preparing a presentation on various types of renewable energy resources. The content available on internet is all hocus pocus and I am quite unable to find detailed and systematic information.

Serious research on scientific matters is carried out in the peer reviewed literature data base.

The internet is not the place to conduct such research

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #52 on: 09/12/2010 03:19:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums