The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God real or not  (Read 234369 times)

Offline gecko

• View Profile
Re: God real or not
« Reply #125 on: 04/05/2006 17:09:24 »
if i was to just choose, facts aside, how id like the universe to be, id definitely choose no god or creator. we all command our own actions and morality and that gives me much more comfort then "something else" doing it. note thats not the reason i believe there isnt one.

i just cant understand this atheist in pain syndrome...'i want to have faith in some vague, wishy-washy impossible thing, but im just so tortured by critical thinking and sense!'

whats the big deal? be proud of your ability to reason, so then you wont drink the kool aid when hale-bopp comes around again(im probably mixing up 2 groups of nutjobs)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 11/05/2006 14:30:16 »
Y wouldnt u want to have a god? In most religions "God" is portraied as a kind, loveing, genourous, and forgiving...ummm...thing....or spirt. So y wouldnt u want God?(I am speaking, of course, of the God that ties in with Jesus and the Saints)

- Big T

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 11/05/2006 19:01:12 »
i agree with tony, and they also offer more life after death..

Laith

another_someone

« Reply #128 on: 11/05/2006 19:39:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laith

i agree with tony, and they also offer more life after death..

Laith

I thought Buddhism, which lacks a God (although some variants have mixed atheistic core Buddhism with local theistic beliefs), and yet is the pre-eminent religion for reincarnation.

George

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 11/05/2006 23:51:06 »
i do not want to live in a universe with a "god" because i do not want a supreme authority figure or even a loving father figure watching over me. i dont want a "right" and a "wrong", i want to decide these things for myself. i think individualism is far more important than some sort of maternal love with the invisible.

as far as life after death, thats a different question, its not really asking me about god because its not neccesarily one and the same. however, i dont want to believe in life after death either. living this one life is painting my masterpiece, and i dont know if i could take more than 75-100 years of keeping myself occupied. why would you want to live more than that? life is already long enough.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 12/05/2006 14:16:47 »
y? thats what im asking. y wouldnt y want "the ultimate protector" by ur side?

- Big T

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 12/05/2006 15:02:07 »

Would you?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 12/05/2006 19:27:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

Would you?

Agreed - It can be a very frightening approach.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 12/05/2006 20:28:47 »

Turn your attention away from the surface of you mind and sink into the joy and peace in the depths of your hart. Only there will you be whit the I am.  

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 16/05/2006 14:26:12 »
ok back 2 the arguement. then how do u people explain exercism? when a demon controls the body.

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 18/05/2006 18:22:36 »
you are the reason people think americans are stupid(i am one, by the way). you keep asking for scientific explanations of supposed actions by your obviously pseudo-christian abrahamic god. look at the whole world man. its bigger than one silly belief system and vision of god.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 18/05/2006 21:02:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by gecko

you are the reason people think americans are stupid(i am one, by the way). you keep asking for scientific explanations of supposed actions by your obviously pseudo-christian abrahamic god. look at the whole world man. its bigger than one silly belief system and vision of god.

You are so wrong!  You just called a 13 year old boy stupid.  What kind of person are you?  This young man is curious and looking for answers. How are kids supposed to learn if they don't ask questions?  Curious children aren't the reason SOME people think SOME americans are stupid.  Maybe you should do a little scientific research before you make such ignorant assumptions.  

Carolyn

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 18/05/2006 22:00:43 »
i did not realize this person was 13, and am truly sorry. really.

i might have been taking out some vain agression where i shouldntve been.

im very embarrased

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 19/05/2006 13:40:37 »
Tony is our resident youth !...and gecko was not aware of his age...and also, though I can see the inference of Geckos post he didn't actually say Tony was stupid directly. Though, the implication was there.

Unfortunately this topic ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS generates debate, frustration, confusion, anger and a whole host of other emotions which because of the nature of ' GOD ' are self perpetuating....the fact of the matter is ..I can't prove there is not a GOD and others can't prove there is a GOD.....

These topics(about God and Religion)  never have a resolution...because we just do not know...so all we can do is philosophise, speculate and elaborate on our personal points of view.

I am sure Tony is Ok and it's nice of Gecko to apologise as such.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 19/05/2006 13:43:22 »
If you really want to debate GOD I can direct you to a forum where Philosophies, God/lack of God and Religions of ALL types are openly discussed and debated with accord and discord but always with an open mind and respect.

Tony, you will find it an excellent site...in fact everone will.

let me know :)

« Last Edit: 19/05/2006 13:46:50 by neilep »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 19/05/2006 14:21:51 »
It's ok gecko

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 20/05/2006 05:40:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by gecko

i did not realize this person was 13, and am truly sorry. really.

i might have been taking out some vain agression where i shouldntve been.

im very embarrased

I also apologise.  I was a bit harsh.

Carolyn

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 23/05/2006 14:10:08 »
So what about exercism

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 23/05/2006 14:33:21 »
?

Offline upton

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 23/05/2006 16:38:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by tony6789

So what about exercism

Though I understand that exorcism exists I do not know if any have been accurately documented. You would think that the recording of such an event, with witnesses, would help to establish a truth in this respect.

~~~I can't think of a signature~~~

Offline Kevinkrupp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 24/05/2006 03:32:02 »
What is wrong with you all
There is a God and he sent his one and only son to die on the cross for you and you wont even believe in him

Well then how did humans get to be on this planet.
If the earth was tilted one direction up we would all burn and if it was tilted one direction down we would all freeze.
or if the earth was closer then everything would burn and it if where farther away we would all freeze

For example if i wound a wrist watch in the middle of a field i would not assume that it just appeared out of nowhere and i would not assume that it had always existed i would assume that it had a designer but you dont know the designer you would still KNOW there was a designer.

we realize that there will always be skeptics who have their own ideas concerning God. and will read evidence accordingly. and there will be some people who no amount of proof will convence them (it all comed down to fait.)

God shows himself through creation, and his word, and he sent his son jesus crist.

Kevin Krupp

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 24/05/2006 20:48:06 »
that's exactly what we r arguing on. All the proof we have og Gad or Jesus is the Bible!

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 25/05/2006 06:31:57 »
kevin krupp, you are everything i hate.

im so angry i cant even gather my thoughts well enough to tell you everything that is wrong with what you just said.

im retiring from this whole "debate". sorry to be the embodiment of the "angry atheist" but sometimes thats just the way it is...

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 25/05/2006 13:28:09 »
we do not know if god really sent jesus or created the world. we have no proof if he does or has ever existed

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 25/05/2006 13:53:16 »
You see this is the problem (Whilst writing this I am having a ' here we go again moment '...and it's not nice)

Kevinkrupp believes in God...he believes in God so much that what ever one might say, his staunch point of view (ie: belief) wins through every time and nothing anybody will say will change his mind.

Nothing wrong with that I respect his beliefs  ( I personally don't share them )...but please leave the proselytising for a non science site !!

Incidentally...I'm sure I saw a program which mentioned the finding the watch thing....of course a watch may well have a makers mark on it !..YES...I suppose one could argue that the earth and the universe etc has it's own makers mark too...I suppose *le sigh*)....I am sure Kevinkrupp is happy in his certainty so much so that he thinks we're all blind to the obvious.

I have found that such perspectives have a weakness though.....it's the inability to entertain the possibility that there may be another answer.
 However, he MIGHT be right. we just do not know and will never know unless God calls round for tea and a chat !!....and that's why (it's that 'here we go again' moment')....this thread...like all the religious ones before it.......never have a resolution to them.

For the recent members...I once held a running poll on this site as to whether one believed in God or not...I wanted to keep it simple so the premise was...do you believe in God..Yes or No ?....it's interesting that after about 8 months...the votes were split right down the middle...that did surprise me considering the nature of this site........

I deleted the thread because it later became a place of argument and derision...but I did think the results interesting.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #149 on: 25/05/2006 13:53:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums