The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God real or not  (Read 234343 times)

Offline nature boy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #350 on: 16/01/2007 09:02:25 »
If is he is,If isn't he isn't.It all depends on what you perceive as god.

Nature is my relegion and science is my language.So,i feel god everywhere,because nature is ubiquitous.

Let me explain it using the uncertainity principle.

If you define the position of god in churches temples snd mosques,there will be an uncertainity related to his effect,he is ineffective.

On the other hand if you attach an uncertainity in his position by saying nature is god , he is effective.(there will be a positive impact.

beleive in god and not in relegions.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
God real or not
« Reply #351 on: 17/01/2007 00:42:56 »
This is all good and well. A kind of Einsteinian religious feeling. You don't believe in an invisible sky daddy though.

Offline nature boy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #352 on: 17/01/2007 06:10:23 »
What does that mean ?Invisible sky?

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #353 on: 18/01/2007 15:19:40 »
Invisible sky daddy. Invisible and Sky in the sentence are both used to describe the word daddy (god). I'm sorry I left out the footnotes for dummies.

Offline nature boy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #354 on: 19/01/2007 09:45:32 »
Thanks Dummy(whatever that might mean).

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #355 on: 20/01/2007 00:05:06 »
You asked.

Offline nature boy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #356 on: 20/01/2007 19:26:23 »
So ......?

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #357 on: 20/02/2007 12:07:16 »
Many founders of science held the belief there is a god. Aristotle, Newton, Einstein, RJ Oppenheimer.

Where does the idea come from? Homo Sapien hardwiring, ancestry, hearing, seeing, reading then.

Motive and reason are different.

People actually love God/gods.

People ask, "where did I come from, where am I going?"

People sense a need to attribute good and evil to sources.

So science doesn't prove He isn't, it suggests He is, but belief only comes from revelation and testimonies and evidence, not scientific proof. Such as in a test tube.

Aristotle I think deduced gods, the Greeks had gods and started science off. And that there are gods too.

The sky and earth are an awesome richly detailed enduring abundance, begging a source and sourcing promise of more and the unseen. An intelligent source says the ancient Greeks. For me it is family tradition, based on history and Jesus.

« Last Edit: 20/02/2007 12:16:27 by Titanscape »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #358 on: 20/02/2007 12:19:44 »
Ok you know nothing about Einstein. He didn't believe in a Christian type god or afterlife. This is a typical argument from christian apologists. It is called "the argument from great men". They usual say "oh Isaac Newton was a smart man, a scientist, he believed it god." Typically they use a scientist that is pre darwinian before anyone really knew better. Also in the past Atheist or people who didn't believe where killed because of it. Aristotle I think had doubts but probably was religious as back them everyone was, Newton was religious, Einstein did not believe in god in the sense that he listens to prayers or punishes sin.

At most Einstein was a deist.

He said "I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #359 on: 20/02/2007 13:33:59 »
Since Einstein was a Jew - he may have believed in a Judeo-Christian type God, but not a strictly Christian type God in any narrower sense.

The ancient Greeks had quite a lot more diversity in their beliefs, and the notion that you were somehow persecuted if you did not believe just look up Epicurus , or his later Roman counterpart, Lucretius.

It was the Jews who introduced the idea that religion was a matter of social loyalty (Judaism has always been a nationalistic religion and while Christianity and Islam may have gone further, and become supra national, they still demanded unconditional allegiance).

One also has to bear in mind that in past centuries, the accusation of atheism had a different meaning to what it has today and atheist was not one who did not believe in God, but rather one who was not God fearing, and thus was judged as amoral.

As for whether people who, in the Christian era, genuinely believed in God, or just found they had to use the language of God to express ideas for which they had no other widely accepted language, that is a matter that is always difficult to debate, because how can one look behind that which is said, to ideas that could not be expressed at the time.  If we try and apply modern language to past ideas, we come across the problem that people of the past would have no understanding of the modern language, and would have found it as alien as we find their language.

Ofcourse, when we get to the Oppenheimers and Einsteins of this world, we are talking about substantially modern personages, who had access to much of the vocabulary we use today, so the argument that they simply could not have expressed themselves in any other way does not hold true.

I think the bigger problem when we discuss the Einstiens and Oppenheimers, is our own attitude to these people (and to great scientists in general), that we regard them in some way as great prophets of life in general these guys were good at what they did, but it does not follow that everything they said and believed must somehow be superior to the rest of humanity they were still, outside of their own field, just ordinary human beings.

paul.fr

God real or not
« Reply #360 on: 20/02/2007 20:43:23 »
God, real or not?

does it actually matter? I for one do not believe in some form of supreme being, whether it is god or not. This is a discussion that only leads to arguments and throwing quotations and inevitably Einstein and other names about.

The two side in the discussion will never be able to come together and agree to disagree, so what is the point?

The only thing that matters is, does having god in your life make a difference! If it does then all well and good. We all need something to behold and believe in, some people choose religion other something else.

As long as you do not try to impose your values and beliefs on others than who gives a damn.

Paul

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #361 on: 24/02/2007 10:11:55 »
It is tricky, some people will tell you being approached or hearing a sermon meant a lot to them. Others hate it. Jesus wants the little ones brought to Him.

Christians are out sometimes handing out tracts or talking with people, but some hate it. But for a few who appreciate it, we are there.

Sometimes christian's children dislike their parent's message.

I wish I had a more christian childhood.

I would persuade others to agree with my values and ideals, on love and honour...

I would suggest to people that the human spirit is eternal and that there is a Father of light and one of darkness. And a judgement day, and Christ crucified.

I learned people don't like the message and don't push it. Some people have their day made, if you want to talk with them about it?

One point some here are making is that scientists with their reason and freedom didn't unbelieve, so science at best doesn't mean, god is not.

Science and technology, cars, ships, refridgerators, spanners made of titanium alloy, computers... doesn't make us much happier... just tools and perception of the natural world, doesn't really have a place in determining beliefs about the origin of your spirit or death and where we go after our bodies give up...

Science was first called, natural philosophy.

Even the Bible says next to nothing about the pre natural, glorious earth Adam knew as a boy. The supernatural gives us a view of the natural quite unlike the athiest's. Example, death isn't natural. Faith, to accept the revelation of the unseen, regarding the seen. We think there was a time before the natural, observed order took root. So no evolution...

Then can evolution point to there being a god or not? Some would even say yes.

Some reason there is a god, some are motivated to look for one from young.

My computer cannot indicate to me there is no god.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #362 on: 24/02/2007 18:58:01 »
Since Einstein was a Jew - he may have believed in a Judeo-Christian type God, but not a strictly Christian type God in any narrower sense.

The ancient Greeks had quite a lot more diversity in their beliefs, and the notion that you were somehow persecuted if you did not believe just look up Epicurus , or his later Roman counterpart, Lucretius.

It was the Jews who introduced the idea that religion was a matter of social loyalty (Judaism has always been a nationalistic religion and while Christianity and Islam may have gone further, and become supra national, they still demanded unconditional allegiance).

One also has to bear in mind that in past centuries, the accusation of atheism had a different meaning to what it has today and atheist was not one who did not believe in God, but rather one who was not God fearing, and thus was judged as amoral.

As for whether people who, in the Christian era, genuinely believed in God, or just found they had to use the language of God to express ideas for which they had no other widely accepted language, that is a matter that is always difficult to debate, because how can one look behind that which is said, to ideas that could not be expressed at the time.  If we try and apply modern language to past ideas, we come across the problem that people of the past would have no understanding of the modern language, and would have found it as alien as we find their language.

Ofcourse, when we get to the Oppenheimers and Einsteins of this world, we are talking about substantially modern personages, who had access to much of the vocabulary we use today, so the argument that they simply could not have expressed themselves in any other way does not hold true.

I think the bigger problem when we discuss the Einstiens and Oppenheimers, is our own attitude to these people (and to great scientists in general), that we regard them in some way as great prophets of life in general these guys were good at what they did, but it does not follow that everything they said and believed must somehow be superior to the rest of humanity they were still, outside of their own field, just ordinary human beings.

Einsteins parents may have been jewish but I don't think they where strict. Einstein on many occasion stated he didn't believe in a god that hears & answers prays. He also didn't believe in an afterlife.

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #363 on: 25/02/2007 01:53:42 »
Einsteins parents may have been jewish but I don't think they where strict. Einstein on many occasion stated he didn't believe in a god that hears & answers prays. He also didn't believe in an afterlife.

He certainly stated that he believed in a God that not play dice - so he certainly had some notion of God.  I cannot say whether his idea of God included an afterlife, or one that answers prayers (neither of these have as much relevance in Jewish tradition than they have in Christian tradition).  I could not even tell you if he strictly kept the Sabbath, but I think he was a Zionist (although that tells you more about his political affiliations with Judaism than about his religious ones - but it does indicate that he actively thought of himself as a Jew in some way).

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #364 on: 25/02/2007 02:06:52 »
Here are two quotes from Einstein.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Einstein used the god word in many quotes and in his writting but just saying the word doesn't make him a believer. I am an atheist and I can say "God" I can even say I believe in him. I would be telling a lie.

Some religious folk usually Christians often of the fundamental persuasion always come up with the Einstein, god, dice quote. As if saying it proves anything.

Alot of fairly non religious people still stick to religious customs as it was how they where raised. Tradition and custom seem to be very important to human beings.

jolly

God real or not
« Reply #365 on: 25/02/2007 15:41:42 »
deleted as inapproprate
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 01:02:33 by jolly »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #366 on: 25/02/2007 16:05:21 »
If god dose exist he/she wont let you prove he/she does. that dosnt mean you couldnt prove it, it just means god would stop you. If god dosnt exist, how could you prove he/she dosnt. I don't think you can! decartes could be right and all this is just one big dream, and nothing is real. where ever you go with or without god its a leap of faith. So I think you should go with your heart; after all your heart looks for happyness not sadness. And most people want to be happy.   

I disagree. I don't have faith. I have evidence.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #367 on: 27/02/2007 14:43:47 »
i love this topic...lol

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #368 on: 01/03/2007 04:04:43 »
We have evidence, we have no proof of error, so why do some believe and others do not? Does science offer an alternative to faith? Is Jesus unbelievable?

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #369 on: 01/03/2007 12:32:13 »
wat is our proof?

jolly

God real or not
« Reply #370 on: 01/03/2007 19:42:24 »
Mjhavcok please show me. If decartes is right your evidence is a dreamed illusion. You can never know. But the best bit is decartes believed in god thats how he got off the rock. It is all a leap of faith, I bounced a ball 10 times and can now prove it. the 11th time it might not do the same thing. You walk down a road and get hit by a twig you carry on walking and get hit by another, if you keep walking will you get hit again?

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #371 on: 01/03/2007 20:56:04 »
If a ball bounces 10 times when you let it go on the same spot. That is evidence for you thinking it will do the same again. Faith is belief without evidence. What would you like me to show you jolly?

If god dose exist he/she wont let you prove he/she does. that dosnt mean you couldnt prove it, it just means god would stop you. If god dosnt exist, how could you prove he/she dosnt. I don't think you can! decartes could be right and all this is just one big dream, and nothing is real. where ever you go with or without god its a leap of faith. So I think you should go with your heart; after all your heart looks for happyness not sadness. And most people want to be happy.   

Your comment suggests that you know the mind of god if it existed. How do you know god would not let me prove he/she existed. Perhaps I just don't have the tools or knowledge yet that would allow this.

Supposing that everything is a dreamed illusion doesn't get me anywhere. In that case nothing is real. Why even have a debate about it.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #372 on: 01/03/2007 20:57:00 »
I don't know how anyone is convinced by Descartes ontological argument.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #373 on: 01/03/2007 20:57:59 »
We have evidence, we have no proof of error, so why do some believe and others do not? Does science offer an alternative to faith? Is Jesus unbelievable?

Reason, rationality and skepticism is an alternative to blind faith.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #374 on: 02/03/2007 17:44:53 »
thats not wat i call proof really..

The Naked Scientists Forum

God real or not
« Reply #374 on: 02/03/2007 17:44:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login