The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God real or not  (Read 233935 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #500 on: 15/05/2007 21:08:58 »
Mehh.. Don't you think that this is such a broad topic to discuss? Whether God is real or not.. I think that we should decide that for ourselves. Although discussions are perfectly fine, but.. Most wars are religion-based. We may just get a WW3 here. ;)

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #501 on: 16/05/2007 16:48:00 »
Nah, your theroy of how WWIII would start was completly different.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #502 on: 16/05/2007 20:43:02 »
LOL! About N and S korea? ;)

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #503 on: 17/05/2007 13:14:30 »
You bet. But with the USA ;D :D :) [O8)]on your side, it's a guranteed win for S Korea.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #504 on: 21/05/2007 16:49:34 »
N korea...urgh dont even get me started

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #505 on: 21/05/2007 17:25:41 »
God has to be a relational being, "No man is an island."

Where does your soul come from and go?

I bet you are minding the question.

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #506 on: 22/05/2007 13:17:55 »
Your soul comes from God, and when you die, your soul leaves your body behind to go heaven. Not that complicated.

Why what's wrong with N Korea?

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
God real or not
« Reply #507 on: 22/05/2007 13:37:22 »
Your soul comes from God, and when you die, your soul leaves your body behind to go heaven. Not that complicated.

Why what's wrong with N Korea?

Is this a serious question?

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #508 on: 22/05/2007 16:31:57 »
Yeah, why wouldn't it be?

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #509 on: 22/05/2007 17:17:48 »

I think Paul was a little incredulous that there was anybody who was not aware of the rather extreme regime that runs N.Korea at present, and the current controversy regarding their development of nuclear weapons.

I think it is probably a little unfair to show such incredulity, since one should not assume everyone knows everything about everything - we all have gaps in our knowledge, and even something that one person assumes to be basic general knowledge might still be part of a gap in another persons knowledge.

paul.fr

God real or not
« Reply #510 on: 22/05/2007 17:23:00 »

I think Paul was a little incredulous that there was anybody who was not aware of the rather extreme regime that runs N.Korea at present, and the current controversy regarding their development of nuclear weapons.

I think it is probably a little unfair to show such incredulity, since one should not assume everyone knows everything about everything - we all have gaps in our knowledge, and even something that one person assumes to be basic general knowledge might still be part of a gap in another persons knowledge.

Not me?

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #511 on: 22/05/2007 17:33:51 »

Not me?

My sincere apologies - it was Steven being incredulous.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #512 on: 22/05/2007 22:40:53 »
I wouldn't consider that a small gap. If he was truly asking the question then I apologise for seeming so incredulous.

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #513 on: 23/05/2007 13:22:05 »
no sweat, Mjhavok. I always considered Kim Jong Il a joke. Everytime i hear his voice, i hear circus music.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #514 on: 23/05/2007 16:51:57 »
Some people might consider that offensive. Watch out.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #515 on: 25/05/2007 16:52:12 »
I can't contain it anymore, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

People say, "Take "under God" out of the pledge!" and yet they have don't complain about Easter break, historically a religous holiday. The Easter bunny is some shoddy sellout to despratley hide their hypocrisy.

People who are atheists curse in God's name without second thought, even though they do not beleive in him.

Then whenever i mange to let a small curse slip, they gasp and point and say "Don't do that or you won't go to heaven." In the most ridiculing voice possible and laugh to show off to their friends.

Grrr, I can't stand anything hypocritical. I hate it. [xx(] [xx(] [:(!] [:(!] >:(

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #516 on: 25/05/2007 17:45:11 »
I can't contain it anymore, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

People say, "Take "under God" out of the pledge!" and yet they have don't complain about Easter break, historically a religous holiday. The Easter bunny is some shoddy sellout to despratley hide their hypocrisy.

People who are atheists curse in God's name without second thought, even though they do not beleive in him.

Then whenever i mange to let a small curse slip, they gasp and point and say "Don't do that or you won't go to heaven." In the most ridiculing voice possible and laugh to show off to their friends.

Grrr, I can't stand anything hypocritical. I hate it. [xx(] [xx(] [:(!] [:(!] >:(

The Easter Bunny and Easter Egg refer back to a pre-Christian pagan festival of spring and fertility.

The celebration of holidays is a complex issue.  There are many Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, et. al., who celebrate Christmass in Britain, not because they take any religious significance from it but because they want to show solidarity with their Christian (or pseudo Christian) neighbours.  If I lived in a Muslim country, I'd be as likely to celebrate Muslim festivities as I would Christian one's in this country.  I believe in neither, but they are both celebrations that help bring the community together in a common celebration.

If one wants to show another, secular, context to this.  If I was in the USA, I would have no qualms about sharing the American 4th July celebrations, despite the fact that these celebrations actually celebrate the defeat (and killing) of my own countrymen.

We also have a very similar celebration over here - the 5th of November.  This day celebrates (with fireworks and bombfires) the overthrow of a Catholic plot against a protestant parliament, and so if taken literally, could be regarded as an anti-catholic celebration.  In fact, most catholics would celebrate it as willingly as any protestant, and all have largely forgotten the significance of the celebration.

The case about the oath is different.  OK, maybe I should not say much about it, because it is not my country, and it is not for me to decide what another nation should choose for themselves, so I speak only as to what I might think if it were my country, rather than to suggest that I have any right to dictate to another country.

If one casually curses in the name of God, without thought, that is one thing.  If one takes an oath that one is supposed to believe in, then one should take an oath that has meaning to oneself.  When one stands in court, and gives an oath to the court to tell the truth, one has a choice to take a secular affirmation or a religious oath, according to one's own beliefs.  The problem with the "one nation under God" is that it assumes the belief system of the nation, not of the person taking the oath; and I would consider it (if I were an American) inappropriate that anyone should regard me as a member of that nation as being under God.  That a president might, on his own account, swear under God, that is for him to choose, but he should not choose for those of his nation who may not share his belief.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #517 on: 25/05/2007 22:36:56 »
Well done George.

jolly

God real or not
« Reply #518 on: 10/06/2007 21:41:33 »
Mehh.. Don't you think that this is such a broad topic to discuss? Whether God is real or not.. I think that we should decide that for ourselves. Although discussions are perfectly fine, but.. Most wars are religion-based. We may just get a WW3 here. ;)

Sorry seany But Wars are always ecconomic in origin, wars are always about ownership, money, land more power! Religion is not the cause, however religion is a tool men in power use to manipulate people into fighting, you know there devils go kill them ect...

But the reality is that truely godly people do not engage in warfare! If all these godly people turned around and said ´no! you sick hypocrite, I am not going to go kill anyone as my religion states quite clearly ´thou shall not kill!´.

Then all armies would just have athiest in them; and all the religious people on both sides would do everything they can to stop the war! But sadly many a religious Leader, sells out and lies to the flock saying its o.k to fight! Sorry not so!

Good men stop wars, bad men fight in them! For you cannot turn the other cheek or love thy enemy with a gun in your hand, And you certainly cannot run around killing people and then claim to be a member of any of the faiths, If you do not keep the covernant you cannot be a jew, christisn or muslim! By the covernant are you known!

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
God real or not
« Reply #519 on: 10/06/2007 22:50:53 »
Jolly, if you read the Bible correctly there is no sin committed by the unbeliever. The idea of sin was never in the old testament and was introduced into the NT by Paul because the basis of HIS teachings in the NT relies on "sin".

So, Paul introduced it to make HIS ideas work and not Gods.

Christ would not have had to die and then rise to save our sins otherwise, so as you can see the story requires "sin" for it to work.

Freedom is not freedom if it carries with it conditions, if God was love then he should have given us true unconditional freedom instead of binding us.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
God real or not
« Reply #520 on: 11/06/2007 19:07:03 »
That's the whole point jolly, with sin you also get the new idea of repentance and forgiveness just to make the whole complete.

One of the reasons the "New" (Catholic) religion gained popularity because it meant that the individual could sin and as log as they were repentant then they could be forgiven.

Rational, as in society if you break the law your locked up! What are you suggesting that people should be allowed to kill each other?

People already kill each other and the idea of sin does not prevent that, in fact as pointed out before the "Church" and religiously lead governments have been responsible for some wicked crimes in the past and all in the name of their GOD.

Judging a crime and locking people up is sensible in a modern society but very different from breaking the commandment "you shall not murder" and putting them to the electric chair!

Bee

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #521 on: 08/07/2007 17:23:28 »
most who use that dont beleive in god....

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #522 on: 08/07/2007 17:37:31 »

The case about the oath is different.  OK, maybe I should not say much about it, because it is not my country, and it is not for me to decide what another nation should choose for themselves, so I speak only as to what I might think if it were my country, rather than to suggest that I have any right to dictate to another country.

If one casually curses in the name of God, without thought, that is one thing.  If one takes an oath that one is supposed to believe in, then one should take an oath that has meaning to oneself.  When one stands in court, and gives an oath to the court to tell the truth, one has a choice to take a secular affirmation or a religious oath, according to one's own beliefs.  The problem with the "one nation under God" is that it assumes the belief system of the nation, not of the person taking the oath; and I would consider it (if I were an American) inappropriate that anyone should regard me as a member of that nation as being under God.  That a president might, on his own account, swear under God, that is for him to choose, but he should not choose for those of his nation who may not share his belief.

I am not American and by no means an expert on their constitution but doesn't it include a mention of the separation of church and state. Isn't having 'In God we trust' on the money and "One nation under God" in a court oath a bit of a violation of that?

Offline socratus

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #523 on: 11/07/2007 15:02:48 »
If your understanding of God is dead try mine.
========
The people created a God.
No one knows what the external characteristics
of this God are, a God who made himself known
with the name " I am who I am ".
Is it enough for us in the XXIc ?
Why didn,t the formula E=Mc^2 write in the Bible?
I explaine RELIGION by simple laws and formulas of Physics.
www.socratus.com
Best wishes.

Offline socratus

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #524 on: 11/07/2007 15:09:23 »
The words "God", "soul", "religion",
 " dualism of consciousness", "human being"
 are possible  to explain  with the physical formulas and laws.
===============
THE GENESIS.
==============
     T = 0K.
    C/D=pi ,  E=Mc^2, R/N=k ,  h = 0 , i^2=-1 .
     h = 1, c=1. ( light quanta).
       h = h /2pi ,  c>1.
       E = hw,   e^2 = hca  ( electron).
      The Lorentz   transformations.
     Star formation:
 e- -  k  -  He II - He I - rotating He - thermonuclear reaction:
      a) hw > kT
       b) hw = kT
       c) kT > hw
     p ( proton)
    Evolution of interaction:
       a)  electromagnetic,
       b)  nuclear,
       c)  biological.
     Laws:
    a) The Law of conservation and transformation energy.
    b) The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle / law.
    c) The Pauli Exclusion Principle/ law.
      Biopsychology: dualism of consciousness.
        The theory and practice.
===============================
 http://www.socratus.com
P.S.
This model of GENESIS is so simple, logical and clear,
that GOD himself will put his signature under it .
Question:
'Why isn,t God putting his signature now?
Answer:
Now he is busy.
Some time ago He opened his palm and
a process ' big bang' happened .
And now  He tries to compress his palm and
to change the 'big bang' in the 'singular point'.
As soon as He is free, He will sign this document.
======================

The Naked Scientists Forum

God real or not
« Reply #524 on: 11/07/2007 15:09:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length