The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God real or not  (Read 234153 times)

Offline johnbrandy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #525 on: 20/08/2007 02:42:28 »
For me, and probable most people, God is a concept, an idea. How do we go from a concept to a living fact? Moreover, there a different concepts of God. If we adhere to a certain concept, and its wrong, we might miss the mark. If it is possible to know God, it seems clear that we must first understand our own minds, in rather complete ways. And our capacity for self-deception. Until we transcend biases and preconceptions, how can we genuinely know anything, especially God. Yes, I understand the challenge, but what is the alternative. Few of us are willing to do the necessary work required to achieve the quality of mindfulness that can lead to direct perception. No doubt, this may sound fanciful, or unrealistic. How can you hope to entertain the "absolute" if you have not come terms with the relative. How can you  hope to entertain God if you have not come to terms with ordinary reality. It is possible to achieve greater levels of insight and understanding. Firstly, you must be absolutely serious and committed and willing to investigate the viability of this enterprise. There are many exercises than can facilitate this goal, but none are more important than continuous self-awareness. In other words, deliberately raising self-awareness to monitor your thought processes in order to detect biases and preconceived notions. This habit can lead to the cleansing of the doorways of perceptions and allow for  the possibility of direct insight, and eventually an appreciation of divinity, in term of your understanding. Thank you for allowing me to participate.     
« Last Edit: 21/08/2007 17:58:55 by johnbrandy »

Offline nothingnobody

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #526 on: 27/08/2007 10:07:42 »
GOD IS AN ENERGY, NOT A PERSON.

another_someone

God real or not
« Reply #527 on: 27/08/2007 11:11:44 »

To say God is this or that, whether He be energy or a concept, all misses a key part of the underlying question - is He sentient.

God may indeed be energy, but is it sentient energy?  Are you suggesting that all energy is God, or God is only some forms of energy?

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #528 on: 29/08/2007 17:13:18 »
I think there has to be a God because like in another thread, I put it plain and simple. If the universe is as we know it, then it could have very well existed for eternity as other universes, and there had to be something that created them, they didn't just come out of complete blackness, I mean, come on now!!

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
God real or not
« Reply #529 on: 29/08/2007 22:50:21 »
I think there has to be a God because like in another thread, I put it plain and simple. If the universe is as we know it, then it could have very well existed for eternity as other universes, and there had to be something that created them, they didn't just come out of complete blackness, I mean, come on now!!

Worst argument ever?

Smacks of desperation.

paul.fr

God real or not
« Reply #530 on: 29/08/2007 23:18:07 »
Worst argument ever?

Smacks of desperation.

ever? i think your "praise" is too high, it's only one of the worst arguments ever ;)

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #531 on: 30/08/2007 00:13:27 »

Worst argument ever?

Smacks of desperation.

I get this on every forum, it's so cliche to me now.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #532 on: 30/08/2007 00:22:31 »

Worst argument ever?

Smacks of desperation.

I get this on every forum, it's so cliche to me now.

Maybe you get it on every forum because everyone but you seems to see it is a terrible argument.

There has to be a god because there has to be because there just has to be.

This satisfies you?
« Last Edit: 30/08/2007 00:25:22 by Mjhavok »

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #533 on: 31/08/2007 14:54:16 »

Please explain.

This thread will never end. It is a forever conflict.

Offline johnbrandy

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #534 on: 12/09/2007 05:10:24 »
Herein are many worthy ideas. God is and is not the issue. It is clear that the questions about God are the same as the questions about truth and knowledge. These are intellectual and philosophical questions, and therefore subjects of debate. Is this not largely the purpose of this forum? No one can prove the existence of God. Even if a genuine proof could be written, whom among us is prepared to comprehend and accept it? Yes, again, I must introduce the notion of the prepared mind. Free to evaluate these questions without the encumbrance of reactionary thinking. I do not know if God exist, in terms of the many definitions that I have been exposed to. But I will never know if I allow myself to surrender to shallow and reactionary opinions; lacking in reasoned thought, deep reflection, and sincere intentions. The important thing is to cultivate the need to seek truth and understanding. For me, discovering God is the absolute need to know the genuine truth in all things. "Forget" definitions. If God is the ultimate reality, why would you believe this reality would conveniently fit into anyones definition. Perhaps thats the problem, many religions and many definitions. Maybe the real question  is should we live our lives as if a divinity existed; a loving, knowing, intelligent force for the greatest good. I think so. How much better would the world be if we could accepted this simple idea. Look to your children for insight . Consider every kind deed. Consider the effect of acts of love in your life. It is very well possible that you already know "God", without direct or reflective insight. Take your time and be honest. "Knowing God is not knowing God". Knowing God is connecting with and reflecting the deepest impulse of the human spirit.   
« Last Edit: 12/09/2007 13:27:04 by johnbrandy »

sooyeah

God real or not
« Reply #535 on: 21/09/2007 16:39:39 »
In other words, deliberately raising self-awareness to monitor your thought processes in order to detect biases and preconceived notions. This habit can lead to the cleansing of the doorways of perceptions and allow for  the possibility of direct insight, and eventually an appreciation of divinity, in term of your understanding.

I believe thats called, the circumcision of the heart.

Knowing God is connecting with and reflecting the deepest impulse of the human spirit.   

Thankyou Johnbrandy, I heartily agree with you.

Offline the environmentalist

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #536 on: 22/09/2007 19:29:51 »
btw, the universe COULD have come out of completey nothing.  (now I REALLY HOPE THIS IS RIGHT  [8]) ok, if there is only energy, no time, no matter, just energy, then its means that matter could have been made, there is energy in all matter, so this must be able to work the other way around. "the big bang" could have just been the sudden introduction of matter into the universe, giving us our dimensions. high presure goes to low preasure right? so this matter ball would have spread out into the void (low preasure areas) very fast, and maybe this is why the universe is still expanding, I know that space isnt matter as most people know it, but there is a constant stream of antimater-matter particles in void.  maybe this is just spaces way of spreading into the low preasure areas.

just a thought

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #537 on: 19/10/2007 05:13:44 »
Do you think god exists?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
there is your answer!

Offline Radrook

• View Profile
    • http://varietygalore.com
God real or not
« Reply #538 on: 27/10/2007 05:45:05 »
Someone had to code the DNA instructions for cellular replication. To me that someone is God.

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #539 on: 28/10/2007 18:17:15 »
Someone had to code the DNA instructions for cellular replication. To me that someone is God.

Your presupposition is fallacious.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #540 on: 06/11/2007 17:54:02 »

Your presupposition is fallacious.
Wha?

Offline RMorty

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #541 on: 10/12/2007 01:50:28 »

So you think Charles DeLisi is God?

Offline RMorty

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #542 on: 10/12/2007 02:01:07 »
The Big Bang theory, and faith are neither proof of anything.  The big bang is a theory created by atheist scientists who are unable to offer an explanation for how the universe was created, or wasn't created. Faith is just a believers quick fix to the same problem.

Why would the bible have so much false and contradictory information anyway?

A lot of christians contradict themselves as well.  I must have missed the footnotes of the 10 commandments where it said.  "These commandments apply only to those not violating any of the terms and conditions within the Bible."  For example, the golden rule is to treat everyone the way you want to be treated, yet homosexuality is against their religion so suddenly the golden rule does not matter.

It is okay for homos to be outcast and shunned by churches, yet all of the people within those churches are supposed to always treat everyone with kindness.

How does that work? Something that is the supposed word of God can be so back-asswards.  If it is God's word truly I would expect it to contain reasoning and logic not comparable to that of a 1st grader.

Any comments?

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #543 on: 19/12/2007 17:39:38 »
The Big Bang theory, and faith are neither proof of anything.  The big bang is a theory created by atheist scientists who are unable to offer an explanation for how the universe was created, or wasn't created. Faith is just a believers quick fix to the same problem.

Why would the bible have so much false and contradictory information anyway?

A lot of christians contradict themselves as well.  I must have missed the footnotes of the 10 commandments where it said.  "These commandments apply only to those not violating any of the terms and conditions within the Bible."  For example, the golden rule is to treat everyone the way you want to be treated, yet homosexuality is against their religion so suddenly the golden rule does not matter.

It is okay for homos to be outcast and shunned by churches, yet all of the people within those churches are supposed to always treat everyone with kindness.

How does that work? Something that is the supposed word of God can be so back-asswards.  If it is God's word truly I would expect it to contain reasoning and logic not comparable to that of a 1st grader.

Any comments?
I believe those Christians are not really Christians.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #544 on: 19/12/2007 18:20:08 »
christians have really no sense of beliveing anymore i mean think of this question all u ppl out there!

IF INCEST IS SO WRONG HOW DID ADAM AND EVE'S CHILDERN HAVE KIDS TOO?????

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
God real or not
« Reply #545 on: 19/12/2007 23:32:46 »
What happened in Genesis times was not subject to the 10 Commandments or any idea of sin.

Those ideas came much later with the formation of modern religion.

Eve was cloned from Adam and told "be fruitful and multiply" and the same applied to the children.

Offline RMorty

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #546 on: 20/12/2007 00:05:23 »
I don't know what Genesis is.  It sounds like a great title for a futuristic action movie though.

I believe those Christians are not really Christians.

I agree.  However, the bible itself is contradictory.  The people I described act on it, but the bible does basically dis gay people.

I use that only as an example. I am not trying to promote homosexuality, but I don't bash it either.  Basically, it doesn't have anything to do with me so I ignore it, and I feel that others should do the same.

My point is the bible contradicts itself.  I would think that the golden rule should basically sum the whole damn book up.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #547 on: 20/12/2007 17:30:27 »
y does god change his mind tho i mean wat if i wanna be "fruitful and mutiply" with my sister i mean come on i have one HOT sister so that is wrong now that god changed his mind?

Offline opus

• View Profile
God real or not
« Reply #548 on: 20/12/2007 18:10:08 »
Too much information tony6789!  What would your Mum say?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
God real or not
« Reply #549 on: 20/12/2007 20:03:10 »
@ RMorty

You know about the Bible and not about Genesis.  ???

@ tony6798

I agree with opus.

When growing up all sorts of confusing feelings rush at you. If you are worried about your thoughts then I would advise some counselling with someone professional.

Peace.

The Naked Scientists Forum

God real or not
« Reply #549 on: 20/12/2007 20:03:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums