The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Question of the Week - Old Version  (Read 179383 times)

jolly

Re: Question of the Week - Old Version
« Reply #400 on: 01/05/2007 00:53:36 »
With regards to your dc battery you have still created a circuit.

:why that same delay should not exist when the gravity is being destroyed?:

Why on earth are you thinking about destroying gravity?

The tides are affected by the sun, moon and earths gravity and probably by other things to- just because they follow the moon- really doesnt prove anything as if it was just the moon the tides could be larger or smaller- The other things affect the tides to- but how? does the earths gravity increase or decrease the tide- how does the sun affect it- You do not know is the answer.

another_someone

« Reply #401 on: 01/05/2007 01:22:37 »
With regards to your dc battery you have still created a circuit.

Indeed, since you cannot have a current without a circuit (and I started by referring to a current), but I was merely stating that there was no need to include an appliance in the circuit.

:why that same delay should not exist when the gravity is being destroyed?:

Why on earth are you thinking about destroying gravity?

It was in response to Steven's comment about what would happen if the Sun disappeared - if the Sun instantaneously absented itself, then its gravity would also absent itself - and this whole discussion is premised on the question how long would it take for the Earth to respond to the loss of gravity brought about by the loss of the Sun.

The tides are affected by the sun, moon and earths gravity and probably by other things to- just because they follow the moon- really doesn't prove anything as if it was just the moon the tides could be larger or smaller- The other things affect the tides to- but how? does the earths gravity increase or decrease the tide- how does the sun affect it- You do not know is the answer.

As I said before - absolute proof on anything is an impossibility - one cannot even provide absolute proof that the Earth and the Sun even exist.

On the other hand, the correlation of the tides with the Moon's orbits, and that the tides are highly predictable (even the effect of the Sun and nearby planets can be calculated), that the degree of certainty in the model we have of the tides is very high indeed.

So, the answer is that we do believe we know the effect the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon has on the tides - it is not that difficult a calculation to make with modern computers.

jolly

« Reply #402 on: 02/05/2007 13:18:32 »
1, gravity and electricity are different So why are you using an analogy about electricity to explain gravity.

"the question how long would it take for the Earth to respond to the loss of gravity brought about by the loss of the Sun."

As I said striaght away as even residual effects would not be anything compared to the others.

"So, the answer is that we do believe we know the effect the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon has on the tides - it is not that difficult a calculation to make with modern computers."

Well yeah 'believe' not know. Best assumption. As I said before- how- does the earths gravity increase or decrease the tide?- how does the sun affect it?- You do not know is the answer. you assume the answer, but dont actually know.

« Last Edit: 02/05/2007 13:23:20 by jolly »

Offline Batroost

• There's no such thing as a dirty atom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 05/05/2007 11:41:47 »
how- does the earths gravity increase or decrease the tide?-

The tide arises because the Earth isn't flat. No hang-on that sounds stupid... What I mean is that because the Earth isn't flat it is spread out at a range of distances from both the Sun and the Moon. For example, the side of the Earth that is in daylight is (a bit) closer to the Sun than the side that is in darkness. The same applies to the sides facing and away from the Moon - much smaller than the sun but also 400 x closer.

It is this difference in gravitational pull from front-to-back that gives an imbalance in gravitation. It's a small difference (about 1/10,000,000th of the Earth's gravity) but acting on a large mobile body of water the effect is clearly measureable as a small 'bulge'. Throw in the Earth's spin and the Moon's orbit around the Earth and everything works. What complicates tide prediction is teh funnelling effects of landmasses i.e. tide heights close to land, in inlets and channels are much more varied than in open ocean.

If you want to see the maths (and it's not hard to follow) have a look at the link from:

http://www.clupeid.demon.co.uk/tides/simple.html

Best wishes,

Batroost

jolly

« Reply #404 on: 06/05/2007 21:13:03 »
how- does the earths gravity increase or decrease the tide?-

The tide arises because the Earth isn't flat. No hang-on that sounds stupid... What I mean is that because the Earth isn't flat it is spread out at a range of distances from both the Sun and the Moon. For example, the side of the Earth that is in daylight is (a bit) closer to the Sun than the side that is in darkness. The same applies to the sides facing and away from the Moon - much smaller than the sun but also 400 x closer.

Well thats not gravity thats the shape of the earth your talking about!

It is this difference in gravitational pull from front-to-back that gives an imbalance in gravitation. It's a small difference (about 1/10,000,000th of the Earth's gravity) but acting on a large mobile body of water the effect is clearly measureable as a small 'bulge'. Throw in the Earth's spin and the Moon's orbit around the Earth and everything works. What complicates tide prediction is teh funnelling effects of landmasses i.e. tide heights close to land, in inlets and channels are much more varied than in open ocean.

If you want to see the maths (and it's not hard to follow) have a look at the link from:

http://www.clupeid.demon.co.uk/tides/simple.html

Best wishes,

Batroost

So you measure the earth gravity as a small buldge how do you know thats the earths gravity effect, I certainly wouldnt think that the earths gravity would cause a buldge- If anythink it would resitict the tides flow and size!

by the way love the link:

"The Sun also has quite a large effect, but for all practical purposes we can ignore the effects of all the other heavenly bodies".

And on the moon:

"The answer is that it's also moving sideways. As it travels sideways, which would take it away from the Earth, it also falls downwards, and the net movement keeps it at (approximately) the same distance". (not true I'm afraid its moving away!)

And on the Sun:

"Exactly the same reasoning applies to the effect of the Sun, although in this case the centre of mass is within the Sun, and the centrifugal force on the near side of the Earth is actually downward. It's no coincidence that in both cases the forces balance, because the centrifugal force is proportional to the orbital speed, which in turn is related to the mass and distance of the orbiting bodies".

(Right so if these forces balence each other then there should be no tide- as they would neutralize each other out!  Not the case is it?)

And my fav

"practical influence on the height of the tide is not included in this theory at all" Anyway.lol
« Last Edit: 06/05/2007 21:22:00 by jolly »

jolly

« Reply #405 on: 07/05/2007 20:11:15 »
Is'nt it About time we had a new question?

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #406 on: 08/05/2007 01:30:46 »
QUESTION:DOES MIXING ALCOHOLIC DRINKS GET YOU DRUNK FASTER?

Offline Batroost

• There's no such thing as a dirty atom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 09/05/2007 21:43:31 »

A new way for Trolly to say "LAST POST!"....?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 13/05/2007 18:11:42 »
QUESTION:DOES MIXING ALCOHOLIC DRINKS GET YOU DRUNK FASTER?

From vast experience - NO. It is simple - alcohol (of any nature) in per second = drink in X minutes

jolly

« Reply #409 on: 13/05/2007 22:34:19 »
surely it can- if the drinks that are mixed produce more alcohol through a chemical reaction?

And

A new way for Trolly to say "LAST POST!"....?

What´s that bat, sour grapes?
« Last Edit: 10/06/2007 22:32:59 by jolly »

Offline Jenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 14/05/2007 15:26:12 »
All I know is that...

"Beer before wine makes you feel fine, wine before beer makes you feel queer"

I don't know if there is any scientific reasoning for this but a few unintentional experiments that I have conducted seem to verify it!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 30/07/2007 15:06:44 »
If this is the right place for the question of the week, then it's a little out of date! I think there are a few who would like to contribute, but tricky when the question isn't here!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 01/08/2007 06:13:41 »
ASK the question Stuart!

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #413 on: 01/08/2007 06:47:22 »
QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Q1: How can birds sit on power lines without getting electrocuted?

Q2: What is the memory capacity of the human brain?

Q3: What is the furthest object visible to the naked eye?

Q4: Why do mints make your breath feel cold?

Q5: What makes Super Glue so strong?

FIVE QUESTIONS. Enjoy!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 14/08/2007 07:20:56 »
YAYYYYYY! Thanks Steven! Good questions especially the bird one! Hummmm?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 14/08/2007 19:01:50 »
QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Q1: How can birds sit on power lines without getting electrocuted?
Because they switch off the master switch before doing it!
(Someone says it's actually because they only touch one pole of the line, but I think birds are much more intelligent).

Offline Spanner_Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 19/08/2007 22:02:17 »
wow I just read through this whole thread and my brain is on overload! you guys really know your stuff!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 29/08/2007 15:41:20 »
Alberto, what do you mean by, "one pole of the line,"???

What is the makeup of a birds feet! Are they hollow boned in their feet also or are their feet made from something which would not conduct electricity? Are the lines safe to touch because perhaps they are coated .. Are they only dangerous when they are frayed or broken??? I am really not sure...

paul.fr

« Reply #418 on: 29/08/2007 15:58:47 »
Karen,

when a bird sits on a power line, it is only on the one line. You will have noticed that there are two line, should the bird (be rather big and)reach other and touch the other one then it will end up at KFC (or KFB).

The bird is not completing a circuit or touching ground. This is why, when you touch a live wire you will get a shock. You are providing a ground.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 29/08/2007 16:33:32 »
and if six geese land on the top wire, break it, and fall on the second one they will also fry. and land in our parking lot at work as we are all trying to figure out why the lights went out

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 29/08/2007 19:30:23 »
My father worked as policeman (now retired from ~ 30 years) and he told me that once, many years ago, someone made pee from a bridge down to a railway, touching one line with that water. The electricity could so reach the ground, and he died.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 29/08/2007 19:56:00 »
I thoughht they tested that onmythbusters and it didn't really work.
Also, I note with mild amusement that everyone seems to have forgotten question 2 et seq which probably answers it.

paul.fr

« Reply #422 on: 29/08/2007 20:33:06 »
I thoughht they tested that onmythbusters and it didn't really work.
Also, I note with mild amusement that everyone seems to have forgotten question 2 et seq which probably answers it.

I never read any of the question, i just saw the post by Karen. I may be having one of my "thicker" than normal days, but having read q2 i don't see how it gives the answer. ???

lyner

« Reply #423 on: 05/10/2007 23:33:24 »
Q5: What makes Super Glue so strong?
I have never found super glue to be all that strong, actually. The good thing about it is that it goes hard very quickly.
If you want strength, you can't do much better than good old araldite (not the rapid) well mixed and cured at about 60oC.

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #424 on: 06/10/2007 21:01:00 »

Q4: Why do mints make your breath feel cold?

The sensation of coolness is the major effect of menthol when it is applied to the skin or mucosal surface. This is a specific action of menthol on the sensory nerves as menthol alters the movement of calcium. Menthol also acts as an irritant and as a local anaesthetic. The anaesthetic response is probably also caused by menthol’s effect on calcium movement in the sensory nerves, but the irritant response is most likely a nonspecific action.

Menthol’s effect on calcium transport is probably responsible for the fact that menthol can be used to treat the spasming of the smooth muscle large bowel as observed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Menthol has a complex sensory effect in the mouth as it influences both taste and temperature receptors as well as smell. Prolonged exposure of the taste receptors to menthol anaesthetised them. While the nerve response after a dose of menthol lasted 2.5 seconds, the tongue receptors remained insensitive to menthol for up to 10 minutes. This was not observed for salt (NaCl) or other solutions.

No - I'm not THAT clever but I found this really good ref:  http://cdavies.wordpress.com/2006/07/06/is-menthol-a-cold-treatment/

What a cool thread!  ;D literally!!

Must read back more when I have more time on my hands.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #424 on: 06/10/2007 21:01:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums