The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes neurogenic (nerve-originating) pain?  (Read 13640 times)

Offline samharman

• First timers
    • View Profile
What causes neurogenic (nerve-originating) pain?
« on: 10/02/2006 14:52:23 »
Need some serious medical help for my mum a 55-year-old from Eastbourne. My mum suffers from extreme pain. This pain originated from a severe neck injury similar to a whiplash nearly 8 years ago. She attends a pain clinic for pain management and as I am sure you can imagine has been prescribed various drugs.most common dizapane. Her symptoms include; numbing in the hand, limited movement and this has spread to chronic pain in her stomach and now legs. Reaching out and not getting much help from the GP and local hospital here in Eastbourne. We have tried physio including tens,
acupuncture but it is getting desperate. Can anyone recommend anything for this type of injury i know it is such a brief description but will try this anyway. Many Thanks, Sam
« Last Edit: 28/06/2010 23:29:55 by chris »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: What causes neurogenic (nerve-originating) pain?
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2006 18:15:47 »
Hi Sam

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53673 A lot of reading, but well worth it and this will help your mum!

Andrew

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline DocN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2006 21:23:10 »
I use a type of yoga mind control for my own pain and condition.  It does take some work or effort but can be effective.  Look into bio-feed back method, too.

ROBERT

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2006 14:27:14 »
Hi Samharman,
I am not a doctor.
Only a qualified person who is aware of your mother’s, (and your family’s), medical history is in a position to diagnose and treat her illness.

From the information you have given there seem to be two obvious possibilities:-
1)   Your mother’s symptoms of numbness and stomach pain could be caused by over-medication with diazepam (Valium).
2)   Your mother’s spine disease is not caused by a one-off incident of whiplash, but is actually an endogenous progressive condition such as “Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)”.

1) Diazepam can cause numbness and stomach cramps:-
http://www.rocheusa.com/products/valium/tabspi.pdf

Older people are more sensitive to the effects of Valium, so can inadvertently be given too high a dose:-
““Your doctor will limit the dosage to the smallest effective amount because older people are more apt to become oversedated or uncoordinated.””
http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/val1473.htm

2) The progressive nature of your mother’s disease suggests an endogenous condition such as “Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)”, this rheumatic condition is treated with anti-inflammatory, immune–suppressive, and of course anti-rheumatic drugs.

""Delayed diagnosis (of AS) is common because symptoms are often attributed to more common back problems (e.g. whiplash).""
http://www.rheumatology.org/public/factsheets/as.asp?aud=pat

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can accompany AS, IBD can cause abdominal pain.
IBD is treatable with an enteric coated NSAID such as "Asacol".
« Last Edit: 16/02/2006 18:18:53 by ROBERT »

Offline Docsab

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2006 16:06:41 »
Has she had an MRI of her cervical spine?  Sounds like spinal cord compression.

ROBERT

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2006 13:54:01 »
Here is an eMedicine article on Ankylosing Spondylitis:-
http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic15.htm

Note to USA Docsab:
In the UK the waiting list for a non-urgent MRI in the public health system (NHS) is 6 - 12 months [:0].
X-rays however can be done in days and the results analysed by a radiographer in a few weeks. The fused joints caused by Ankylosing Spondylitis, (a.k.a "Bamboo Spine"), would show clearly on X-ray.
(In fact, when it comes to bones, an X-ray has higher resolution than a MR image).
« Last Edit: 01/03/2006 14:08:23 by ROBERT »

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2006 14:17:55 »
Here is a case of AS, from the patient's point of view, which specifically mentions hand numbness:-

""...When I picked up my MRI and X rays: SURPRISE! MRI was perfect! But... the X-rays looked like Godzilla's: my back was filled with spurs..."

http://www.spondylitis.org/patient_resources/your_stories.aspx

Offline Docsab

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/04/2006 04:20:13 »
Robert- thanks for the lesson on the UK NHS.  Here in the states we order MRI's as a matter of course and get them completed usually within days.  There are probably 4 different MRI centers within 5 miles of my practice!(of course we have so many more MRI machines here because we have so many more lawyers here too!)

samharmans' mother can have any number of problems without more specifics.  I was thinking that after 8 years of neck pain she would at least have had a cervical x-ray?  That would have helped in evaluating for rheumatological problems such as AS, and traumatic causes of chronic pain.

A nerve conduction study of the upper and lower extremeties, if obtainable, would certainly help in evaluating for cervical cord compression, which could also affect the legs.  Could the stomach problems be chronic gastritis secondary to the stress of chronic pain and chronic meds?

Just a few thoughts.  I treat alot of motor vehicle accident victims with similiar problems.  Interesting to me though how a constellation of symptoms are worked up and treated differently depending on which side of the Atlantic you reside.

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 20/04/2006 16:50:50 »
Hi Docsab,
I thought I should provide evidence for my statement on waiting times for non-urgent MRI's in the UK NHS.
 Here is an extract from UK parliament:-

"  Jan 2003

MRI Scans (Yeovil)
7. Mr. David Laws (Yeovil): What his estimate is of the waiting time for MRI scans in the Yeovil constituency. [90195]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health (Ms Hazel Blears): I am advised by Dorset and Somerset strategic health authority that both East Somerset NHS trust and Taunton and Somerset NHS trust are currently meeting the target for urgent referrals for MRI scans as set by the NHS cancer plan. Waiting times for non-urgent MRI scans have fallen significantly at East Somerset NHS trust, although waiting times for non-urgent MRI scans at Taunton and Somerset NHS trust have risen in recent months.

Mr. Laws : Is the Minister not aware that waiting times for MRI scans at Yeovil hospital are longer than they were in 1997, and that at Musgrove Park hospital they are now 38 weeks? Are not some of the longest waiting times in the NHS for diagnostic tests and for consultant-to-consultant referrals? Would it not be better for the Government to publish the information nationally so that we do not have a distortion in priorities across the NHS?

Ms Blears: The hon. Gentleman will be aware that waiting times at Yeovil hospital, which serves his constituents, have been coming down recently. It is also due to get a new scanner in May, which will make the process even faster. It may be able to help out with waiting lists at Musgrove Park hospital, which has problems with non-urgent MRI scan waiting times, although it has just appointed two new radiographers and extended the working day from 8 o'clock in the morning to 8 o'clock at night. In addition, people are working on Saturday mornings. The combination of extra investment and reform to working practices is beginning to make a difference on this very important issue. "
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/vo030114/debtext/30114-04.htm

« Last Edit: 20/04/2006 17:39:24 by ROBERT »

Offline melisa

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/06/2010 10:00:44 »
Hi,

I have hard nerve pain after having 2 ADR operations and a fusion operation.
Could you please help me find a specilist doctor to treat my nerve
pain (worldwide) ?

More details about my story:

newbielink:http://webix.name/melisa/ [nonactive]

Regards,
Melissa

Offline saruz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28/06/2010 10:25:58 »
Could you post your photos..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 28/06/2010 10:25:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums