The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the cons of universal healthcare coverage?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
What are the cons of universal healthcare coverage?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2010 20:52:42 »
Possibly waiting lists.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2010 22:56:32 »
If we're talking NHS-type government monopoly healthcare, then a big con is lack of patient choice,
 e.g. no choice to escape this nightmare ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/mid-staffordshire-nhs-trust
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 01:11:01 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2010 07:45:34 »
If we're talking NHS-type government monopoly healthcare, then a big con is lack of patient choice,
 e.g. no choice to escape this nightmare ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/mid-staffordshire-nhs-trust

Oh dear. I didn't realize things were quite that bad.

Presumably, all the Ministers of Health that allowed this monumental ignorance of basic human rights, while they were living large at the taxpayers expense, have been rounded up pending their execution?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2010 10:26:46 »
...  pending their execution?

should be sentenced to a year as an inpatient in a NHS hospital, which would be essentially the same thing.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 10:28:19 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 11/11/2010 10:48:20 »
...  pending their execution?

should be sentenced to a year as an inpatient in a NHS hospital, which would be essentially the same thing.

A fate worse than death, and much deserved.

But, of course, as I'm sure you can imagine, my dear Geezer, they have been rounded up and paid handsomely for their 'efforts'.

Justice! Justice? Did I hear someone mention 'justice'? Don't make me laugh.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/11/2010 16:52:24 »
Send them here to enjoy our wonderful public health system - where people are dying to leave it.

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/11/2010 16:52:39 »
Many in the United States believe that if we socialize healthcare (making it completely free at the tax payers expense) that all problems healthcarewise will be eliminated.  I simply think that it is far more complicated than that.  Surely there will always be problems with our health system.  Although we Americans do not pay nearly as much in taxes as the British, Canadians and French, ect ect ect, I do believe we pay more than we should, and if new healthcare legislation is passed we'll be paying more.  I don't know, I mean, since our nation's founding we have been a very anti-high tax nation.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 16:55:18 by SpaceShouldBeMilitarized »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/11/2010 18:43:00 »
Health care is always going to be expensive. It's simply a question of deciding who pays for it.

I'm sort of retired and my wife is self-employed, but we are not old enough to receive Medicare, so we have to buy health insurance.

Folks in the UK may be interested to learn that it currently costs us $900 a month (for both of us) and that's with a $7,500 annual deductible, meaning, the insurance company only starts paying after I shell out the first $7,500 for myself or my wife. The deductibles are not combined, so if we both need bit of medical assistance, we might have to fork over another $15,000 on top of the $11,000 we are already coughing up. (And they have the nerve to call this insurance!)

It certainly makes you think twice before you run off to see the Doc!

As we are still loyal subjects of HMQEII, it has crossed our minds that we might dump the insurance and, in the event of some serious medical crisis, head for the UK. However, having read about recent events in Staffordshire, that may not be such a smart move. That said, I always thought that the NHS did a pretty good job in the area around Glasgow. 
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 01:26:26 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 12/11/2010 10:30:57 »
........the NHS did a pretty good job in the area around Glasgow. 

That's because they get an awful lot of practice. (Intentional pun, of course).

"See you Jummy, here, stitch this."
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 10:33:29 by Don_1 »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/11/2010 11:48:47 »

You're right Don_1, Glasgow docs had to deal with so many patients with head injuries they came up with a shorthand method of evaluating them which is now used worldwide ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Coma_Scale   
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 11:50:25 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/11/2010 17:29:06 »

You're right Don_1, Glasgow docs had to deal with so many patients with head injuries they came up with a shorthand method of evaluating them which is now used worldwide ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Coma_Scale   

Ah yes! The Southern General (locally The Sufferin' General). Actually, a very good hospital.

Mrs G did her training there some time ago. The place was run with a certain, military like, precision.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/02/2011 13:02:51 »
All spoken like reasonably wealthy individuals. I had to have a hernia operation a couple of years ago. As an interested party I went on to some websites to see about other people's experiences. The US ones were interesting: several people had very serious post operative problems but were too worried about the cost of seeing a health practitioner. The suggestions were often to go to an ER to try, at least, and with a little deception, to find out the problem. If you have the money I would guess the US healthcare provision is one of the best in the world. If you have not, the provisional safety net has big holes to fall through. A further problem is that the cost of insurance is so high because it is hard to sensibly negotiate with drug companies holding patents and a monopoly on certain drugs, not to mention the high salaries of doctors. The few who will pay anything to get good health rather spoil it for the average Joe. The free market economy does not work well when it comes to health care. In my limited experience Canada seems to have a better balance except that many well trained professionals move to the US where they can earn more money.

The UK health service is not perceived well at the moment. It certainly does cost a lot to run and has many inherent problems with disincentivised staff. This was not always the case and there is no inherent reason why the situation can't be turned around over time. It is in the nature of the Brits to knock what we have here - we are a nation of whingers (as any Aussie will tell you). The cost per capita of healthcare in the UK is far less than in the US though. It is less than half that of the US. The UK has a longer life expectancy from birth, more hospital beds (per 10000 population) and many more nurses/midwives (per 10000 population) according to a table on the website below:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/mar/22/us-healthcare-bill-rest-of-world-obama
Not as good as Japan but not too bad.

It is amazing how much opinion is influenced by the vested interest of large corporations, and this is especially true in the US where the corporations are larger, more powerful and have very effective lobby groups.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/02/2011 20:23:06 »
Having been on both ends of it, as it were, I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the situation Graham.

BTW, it used to be said that health care around the Glasgow area was particularly good due to an over abundance of golf courses, although that might just have been my father (a pharmacist) taking a cheap shot at the local doctors.  ;D

Just for comparison, I had cancer in the US about twenty five years ago. I had an operation, a lot of radiation treatment, and lots of follow-up tests, some involving nuclear medicine (which was quite fascinating BTW).

By a stroke of good luck, I had elected to go with a HMO healthcare provider in the US through my company's health insurance program. (A HMO in the US is a bit like a miniature NHS in the UK.) My total out-of-pocket expense for all of the treatment and follow-up was five bucks.   
« Last Edit: 03/02/2011 00:19:59 by Geezer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 02/02/2011 20:23:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums