The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is a "sham" electric shock done?  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
How is a "sham" electric shock done?
« on: 11/11/2010 06:45:21 »
On Cat's (Kat?) story about electro-shock improving math skills she mentioned that the control group was given a "sham" shock. How do you do that, considering it's quite obvious when you get an electric shock or you don't?

Also thaugh Chris said "Croaky Christmas" rather than "Chris Smith" Didn't have any idea what a croaky Christmas would be then I remembered it's November not December....

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2010 16:28:07 »
Hi Eric

in the paper the researchers say that a current was applied for a very brief time; this mimicked the initial sensation that recipients report when being wired up in this way, but as the pulse was delivered for only a short time it was believed to be physiologically irrelevant and hence equivalent to no stimulus.

Chris

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/11/2010 01:00:57 »
Oh! That explains it.

I thought they were being given a shamrock.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2010 05:09:01 »
Hi Eric

in the paper the researchers say that a current was applied for a very brief time; this mimicked the initial sensation that recipients report when being wired up in this way, but as the pulse was delivered for only a short time it was believed to be physiologically irrelevant and hence equivalent to no stimulus.

Chris

But how do they know that this brief shock is equal to no shock at all. For that matter if a shock lasting .01 seconds has such a small effect as to be not noticeable and a shock lasting 1 second has a dramatic effect would a shock lasting 10 minutes have even more. Probably a shock lasting 10 hours would drive the person mad and that would be counter productive....or would it? A lot of great ideas have come from crazy people....

Sorry I'm American but I love the English term "mad" as in crazy. Could not pass up the chance to use it here

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2010 22:05:15 »
Because even if it did have an effect, it was negligable compared with the impact of the "real" stimulus and therefore helped to blind the study without overtly affecting the outcomes.

Chris

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2010 22:41:27 »
Would it be even more effective if while giving the test the shock is delivered only for incorrect answered.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2010 22:41:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums