The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the science behind cutting and forced retching?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
Why does cutting and forced retching give people a euphoric feeling?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
What is the science behind cutting and forced retching?
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2010 15:02:28 »
When i was a tattoo artist I came across a subset of people that enjoyed getting tattoos for the pain of it. They said they found it arousing and would go home to please themselves after getting a tattoo...  so i suspect the pain of cutting can be euphoric to some.

I don't get the vomiting thing..  I always find vomiting to be most unpleasant and fights against every grain of what should happen...  but life is a rich tapestry

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2010 20:56:24 »
When i was a tattoo artist I came across a subset of people that enjoyed getting tattoos for the pain of it. They said they found it arousing and would go home to please themselves after getting a tattoo...  so i suspect the pain of cutting can be euphoric to some.

I don't get the vomiting thing..  I always find vomiting to be most unpleasant and fights against every grain of what should happen...  but life is a rich tapestry

Sadomasochism...  But does cutting release endorphins?  A chemical that gives us pleasure? 

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2010 00:53:49 »

Sadomasochism...  But does cutting release endorphins?  A chemical that gives us pleasure? 

well no, not strictly sadomasochism..  just the masochism part (I don't know any tattoo artists that go into the job to purposely inflict pain for pleasure - but I don't know *all* of them ;) )

Anyway  it's probably a similar feeling to the moment before you jump out of a plane or off a bridge or swim with sharks. I hear that half of the thrill in doing some drugs is the 'ritual' in prepping them.. the aniticipation.

Though I strongly suspect it comes down to the psychological reasoning for the 'cutting' or 'purging' .

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2010 19:25:30 »
I worked for some years with people who harmed themselves in a variety of ways.  The most common explanation for painful self-harm is that the pain of cutting etc gives some brief relief from a much worse, inner torment. 
As far as I was able to discover with somewhat limited research facilities, the commonest cause of this behaviour is appallingly low self esteem, usually traceable back to childhood.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2010 19:25:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums