The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Percent, but percent by what?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
Percent, but percent by what?
« on: 14/11/2010 00:47:28 »
Many common household chemicals show information indicating the percentage of the chemical in solution, along with other "inert" ingredients (I'm assuming H2O). My question: is this percent by mass, or by volume? Things such as bleach (NaClO), are measured by mass right? And things such as HCl and H2O2 are by volume?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2010 10:27:12 »
Hi Bill

when you make a "percent" solution you are adding the amount of the substance in grams to a total volume of water of 100ml (i.e. the final volume of the solution, after the substance has mixed in, is 100ml).

So if you were making a 5% solution of glucose you would be dissolving 5g of glucose in a final volume of water of 100ml. For a liquid it's the same. So for a 5% ethanol (alcohol) solution you would dissolve 5g of ethanol in a final volume of water of 100ml.

Other variations are possible too: when the police breathalyse someone they say that person has "x number of mg percent" in their blood; in this instance they are using millimgrams of dissolved ethanol per hundred ml of blood.

Chris

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2010 18:48:35 »
They generally mean % mass/ volume but not always. Alcohol solutions are generally expressed as %v/v for example.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2010 18:48:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums