The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Weird alcohol law?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« on: 19/11/2010 22:53:33 »
I was at the grocery store and saw a memo posted in the alcohol section. I understand rule # 1, which states not to give alcohol to underage people. But rule # 2 states “do not give alcohol to someone who is visibly intoxicated.” Don’t we, as Americans, have the right to get as plastered as we wish? Was that not one of things our founders fought for in the American Revolution?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2010 03:22:36 »
I'm pretty sure I didn't see that in the declaration of independence...

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2010 10:49:15 »
It is an interesting point. People should have the right to do that which does not interfere with the rights of others - Something like this was part of Tom Paine's ideas I think. I would interpret the supermarket note as follows:
If someone wants to come into a shop and buy enough booze to kill a horse then that is OK. If they seem able to make the decision to do this (not to actually kill a horse you understand) then this is OK.
If someone comes into a shop who is clearly not fully in control of his faculties, it would be aiding and abetting someone to drink too much. I think this is where an organisation who is profiting from promotion and sales have to be careful; especially in a litigious country like the US.

Even in the UK a publican has the right to deny serving anyone he deems unfit. Mind you, it only happens generally when the person is at the stage of being likely to fall over and break something, start a fight or generally put off other customers from buying more beer.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2010 13:22:13 »
Even in the UK a publican has the right to deny serving anyone he deems unfit.
I'm not sure that's even merely a right in the UK. I was under the impression it was a duty (although one which is deprssingly rarely considered these days..).

Offline SpaceShouldBeMilitarized

• View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2010 16:46:10 »
It is an interesting point. People should have the right to do that which does not interfere with the rights of others - Something like this was part of Tom Paine's ideas I think. I would interpret the supermarket note as follows:
If someone wants to come into a shop and buy enough booze to kill a horse then that is OK. If they seem able to make the decision to do this (not to actually kill a horse you understand) then this is OK.
If someone comes into a shop who is clearly not fully in control of his faculties, it would be aiding and abetting someone to drink too much. I think this is where an organisation who is profiting from promotion and sales have to be careful; especially in a litigious country like the US.

Even in the UK a publican has the right to deny serving anyone he deems unfit. Mind you, it only happens generally when the person is at the stage of being likely to fall over and break something, start a fight or generally put off other customers from buying more beer.

The plastered person may have to drive home I guess. 

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2010 17:02:46 »
Here in the UK it is illegal to serve alcohol to someone who is drunk.
The rule is not enforced.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #6 on: 20/11/2010 22:16:23 »
Even in the UK a publican has the right to deny serving anyone he deems unfit.
I'm not sure that's even merely a right in the UK. I was under the impression it was a duty (although one which is deprssingly rarely considered these days..).

I seem to remember it's an offence to "overserve" in some states in the US, and I'm pretty sure some bar owners have been sued for doing it.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2010 11:54:16 »
Here in the UK it is illegal to serve alcohol to someone who is drunk.
The rule is not enforced.

Indeed, most bar tenders are not even aware of the law, and their managers certainly do not enforce it. Yet in Australia it is strongly enforced and as such they have much less of a problem with alcohol related problems like binging and violent crime than we do here. Instead here, the powers that be deem small hikes in the price of alcohol and warning labels should be enough to reduce the problems... I will stop myself there before I go into one over it...! :)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #8 on: 23/11/2010 11:45:14 »
It is not that easy to enforce and, of course, there is not always the right incentive to do so. Many clubs (where I gather young people go "clubbing") put restrictions on serving too many drinks to individuals but the people going there make up for this by tanking up on cheap supermarket booze before they go. It is not always easy to recognise who is actually drunk to the extent they may cause trouble. The criteria for drunkeness here is at a much higher level (more intoxication) that that for driving for example.

I'm sorry to say that there is something in the British culture that drives the drink fuelled bad behaviour that is inflicted on many inner cities on a saturday night. It would be a shame if this causes undue restrictions on those of us who do like the occasional night out and, although consuming a fair bit of alcohol, do not feel the need to start fights or wreck places.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Weird alcohol law?
« Reply #8 on: 23/11/2010 11:45:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums