The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How many calories does a press-up (push-up) burn?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
How many calories does one pushup burn? This would of course vary with the weight of the person, but there has to be some way to figure it out. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 20/11/2010 09:51:04 by chris »

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
How many calories does a press-up (push-up) burn?
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2010 06:35:57 »
There is a formula for how easy it is to pick up different foods with chopsticks, there must be a way to figure this out.

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2010 06:20:19 »
To satisfy anyone else who was curious, I think I may have an answer. A calorie is a unit of heat, and can therefore be construed as equivalent to a unit of work. Work=Force x Distance. Force=Mass x Acceleration. The force someone must exert must be equal to the force exerted by gravity, so the mass of the individual multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.81). You can then determine the distance an individual must push/pull their body or the weights up. You can then include repetition of the action. Units must be converted from J to Calories at the end. I feel that an integral should be included in here somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

This is of course more of a math post now, but I guess all science overlaps. Do we have any mathematicians who can correct/add on to this train of thought?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2010 06:20:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums