The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Kinetic Energy - Only Half of the 'Picture'?  (Read 9046 times)

Offline 5nutjob

• View Profile
Kinetic Energy - Only Half of the 'Picture'?
« Reply #25 on: 24/11/2010 21:23:20 »
This question, and a lot of the questions you're asking on the forum, could be easily answered if you read some textbooks on physics or chemistry, or if you were willing to listen to explanations from those who have studied those subjects.  However, you don't seem willing to do so.

Answered?? ..... certainly not;- Incidentally, I can be insanely enthusiastic, with attention focus a-go-go, but only if the advice has some concrete reasoning, and this is so astoundingly not happening here.  [:I]

You're too brilliant to learn from a textbook and yet you consistently get fundamental things wrong in your explanations?  The question you're asking here can be answered easily, but to get at the "why" of them, you need to understand some basic physics.  Unless someone has the time to teach you basic mechanics and relativity over the forum, your best bet to get that competency is to read some books.

I've been looking for an excuse to post this for a while, so here's Feynman on why certain things are hard to explain, especially when you lack the fundamentals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwUL [nofollow]

I'd much prefer to lack the essential basics, than to example psychotic clowns, as a basis for arguement;- dear, oh dear father of extreme non-retardism!

Exhibit A; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTSaezB4p8 [nofollow]?  [:I]

« Last Edit: 24/11/2010 21:36:13 by 5nutjob »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25/11/2010 03:37:15 »
3rd option it is, then!

Offline 5nutjob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28/11/2010 09:34:49 »
Hey, thought up a way of proving/disproving my concept, by means of a modified Cathode Ray Tube .....  :D Particle pairs (e-/e+) can be created from > 1.02 MeV gamma photon interaction with matter, right? - So, like, Cobalt 60 produces these in veritable abundance. If I'm correct;- by deflecting electrons onto a screen, the positrons will also be deflected; therefore, the Lorentz force will be duplicated, as it will be seen to be acting on both particles.

See my totally outstanding sketch here;-
 http://img338.imageshack.us/i/modifiedcrt.jpg/ [nofollow]  :D
« Last Edit: 28/11/2010 13:19:59 by 5nutjob »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2010 10:55:05 »
If you had, as various people suggested, done some basic reading you would know that a magnetic field deflects electrons, but doesn't do any work on them because the force is perpendicular to the movement.

So your comment about "...thus proving work done on an electron..." isn't true.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2010 10:55:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums